Haugen Psalm 128 Permitted for use as Responsorial Psalm?
  • ronkrisman
    Psalms are scripture and should not be paraphrased or have altered texts.

Let's remember to tell that to the Calvinists, to Isaac Watts, to Charles Wesley, to Henry Baker, and to alibi aliorum plurimorum auctorum hymnorum.
  • Liam
    I think he means the OF Scripture lection in the form of the Responsorial Psalm, not that there can be no metrical hymns using paraphrases of psalms and scriptural canticles.
  • francis

ronkrisman 12:43PM Thanks
    Psalms are scripture and should not be paraphrased or have altered texts.

Let's remember to tell that to the Calvinists, to Isaac Watts, to Charles Wesley, to Henry Baker, and to alibi aliorum plurimorum auctorum hymnorum.

It is not necessary or adviseable to instruct or collaborate with heretics, apostates and schismatics concerning what texts they should compose for their errant beliefs (and services). It is only necessary that they are not printed and sung by Catholics.

As for Catholic hymns including their texts, there are plenty of occassions to sing their wonders apart from the honor and place of lectio.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    Exactly, Liam. I am not talking about hymns, but about the Sunday or weekday responsorial psalm following the first or only reading if weekday. It should conform to the approved translation since it is a scripture reading.

BTW, I seized upon the opportunity to throw out the RitualSong psalms when the revised missal became official. Too many of those psalms were paraphrased, or set to Godawful music - or both. They were not all bad, just far too many of them.
  • dad29
    In short, that's not how the Chuch really thinks.

OK, I'll bite. How does the Church "really think"?
  • francis,

I may be misunderstanding you. Are you saying that text written by non-Catholics should never be used for Mass?
  • francis
    AM

Technically, if we actually followed the rubrics for what is prescribed by the Church, there would rarely be a hymn sung at the Mass. Polyphonic settings of the Propers and Ordinary are actually more appropriate than hymnody. Singing hymnody during the service comes mainly from a protestant mentality. The Catholic hymns would of course be utilized (Pange Lingua, Salve Regina, etc.) when appropriate. The LOTH and devotions are a different thing altogether.

What belongs in the Mass are first the dialogues, (with GC as pride of place) then the Propers and the Ordinary. Then, organ and polyphony. We have no need of hymns really.

Have you read 'The Papal Legislation On Sacred Music'? After reading it, one becomes aware of how we have strayed from our roots.

Also, vernacular was not supposed to take over the Latin. Even in the docs of VII, it was specified that the vernacular was to be carefully utilized, and never to replace the Latin in the Mass.

I believe the NO has truly become an abberation.

ab·er·ra·tion noun \ˌa-bə-ˈrā-shən\
    : something (such as a problem or a type of behavior) that is unusual or unexpected

Full Definition of ABERRATION

: the fact or an instance of deviating or being aberrant especially from a moral standard or normal state
    : failure of a mirror, refracting surface, or lens to produce exact point-to-point correspondence between an object and its image
    : unsoundness or disorder of the mind
    : a small periodic change of apparent position in celestial bodies due to the combined effect of the motion of light and the motion of the observer
    : an aberrant individual

I would say the music in our NO liturgies is very well defined right here.

"What happened after the Council was something else entirely: in the place of liturgy as the fruit of development came fabricated liturgy. We abandoned the organic, living process of growth and development over the centuries, and replaced it--as in a manufacturing process--with a fabrication, a banal on- the-spot product." (Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger)

I just got an email from a close friend. It contained this video:

http://youtu.be/3K-x6odm8Sc
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    OK, I'll bite. How does the Church "really think"?

There was no "bait."

I'm not an expert and wasn't prepared (nor do I have the desire) to give a long, eloquent talk on the Roman interpretation of law.

But plenty of ink has been spilled on this by many people.

In a nutshell, the idea is that our American sense of law is very black and white; the law says exactly what to do and what not to do and you are to obey it. On the other hand, the Roman idea of law is more about the spirit of the law, achieving the desired ends, etc.

Many people who have more knowledge than I, as well as more academic credentials have written about it. And this notion does NOT seem to be the invention of "liberals" who "want to do whatever they want." No, when you look at the way Popes do liturgy and follow rubrics, including Pope Benedict, and the way that dubiums are answered, etc. it seems to me that there is real credence to this idea of a "Roman interpretation of law."

The people who are so black and white usually end up finding themselves at odds with - everyone. Bishops, the Pope, etc. And as always, in life, when you find yourself at odds with EVERYONE, it's good to step back and realize that maybe you're not the only one in the world who is correct.
  • dad29
    Umnnhhh.....no.

What you propose as "interpretation" is a result of the last Canon Law, to the effect that the first objective of the law is the salvation of souls.

The law is not malleable, nor is it unclear. However, enforcement of that law is at the discretion of the pastor (Bishop). So 'achieving the desired ends' actually means 'obeying the law,' but said obedience may not have to occur immediately.

On the other hand, it is also a dis-service to the faithful to flat-out disobey the law, or to ignore it entirely.

To set up the extremes: on the one hand you have an EF congregation which is used to doing things according to the law. Changing that would be detrimental to them. The other extreme is the "Rules? We don't need your steeeeeeenkin' rules!" OF gang, where gradual but firm pressure towards the law must be applied. It cannot be otherwise, or the praxis is to the detriment of the faithful.

Disobedience to law, by the way, happens far more often in 'liberal' congregations--so, indeed, it IS an 'invention' of the liberals. It's convenient and correct to propose that a lot of Bishops and priests let things slide; but that's on their conscience.

That doesn't change the law, which actually SHOULD be obeyed. If not, then Rome is wasting a lot of time and ink writing all that stuff, no?
  • chonakchonak
    Since things are so clear, I'm sure that it will be easy for people to point to expert opinions endorsing the interpretations being proposed.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
    No one is saying that the law should not be obeyed. My approach to liturgy is quite consistent with the idea that we should "say the black, do the red."

I'm really sick to death of the "EF vs. OF" arguments, complete with caricatures of the typical "OF congregations," which comprise 95% of the Church.

The law and liturgical norms exist to serve the Church and to aid our worship, not the other way around.

And, of course, the obligatory statement that "It's convenient and correct to propose that a lot of Bishops and priests let things slide; but that's on their conscience." In other words, "They are all wrong and I, in my high minded adherence to every last letter of the law, am right."

I don't recall every detail now, but Bob Batastini wrote years ago about his experience taking his choir to Rome to sing. He had these aspirations that this would be the most heavenly, most "correct" liturgy on this side of heaven. Anyway, the long story short was that when they got to St. Peter's to sing, the master of ceremonies, who was, if I recall correctly, a bishop or archbishop, basically said "mass needs to end within 40 minutes," and made all sorts of cuts, some of which weren't even liturgically correct. The point of the story was that the master of ceremonies basically said with a shrug, "We adapt here and do what we have to do."

Now of course the talking point in response will be "Well he had no right to do that!!! Remember, NO ONE, EVEN IF HE BE A PRIEST OR BISHOP MAY CHANGE ..."

Well that's fine. The rest of us will continue to inhabit the real world.

In short, to repeat, The law and liturgical norms exist to serve the Church and to aid our worship, not the other way around.
  • CharlesW
    The idea and application of law has changed since Vatican II. Many practices which formerly bound under pain of sin if not adhered to, no longer have those sanctions attached. Aside from that, U.S. Catholicism has long been consumed with inherited Calvinism, leading to an excess of "t" crossing and "i" dotting. Some "laws" today are guidelines toward accomplishing a goal, not an end in and of themselves.
    Thanked by 2PaixGioiaAmor Gavin
  • G
    Some "laws" today are guidelines toward accomplishing a goal, not an end in and of themselves.

Are any laws other than the Law of Love ends in themselves?
    All liturgical law surely exists only in the service of the worship of the Triune God and the salvation of his people?

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)

edit: I am not excusing ignoring law - "We adapt here and do what we have to do," is a far cry from "We adapt here and do what we want to do."

That's an excellent way to put it, Charles. You said it more accurately and succinctly than did I, with regard to US Catholicism's penchant for rubricism.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
    edit: I am not excusing ignoring law - "We adapt here and do what we have to do," is a far cry from "We adapt here and do what we want to do."

Right. And that's a good observation. The law exists to be followed - but it also must be flexible and not rigid.
  • JahazaJahaza
    You're having quite a day, aren't you, Ben? Even had a comment of yours deleted from PTB. What are you smoking?

Though I haven't seen the comment in question, having something deleted from Pray Tell is more likely a sign of Fr. Anthony's disagreement with your theology than one's consumption of drugs.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW francis Ben
  • francis
    I think the only thing that Ben most likely smokes is when he is swinging the thurible. (Does that mean he is smoking Jesus?) (BTW... I deleted my entire presence from PTB years ago)
  • dad29
    In other words, "They are all wrong and I, in my high minded adherence to every last letter of the law, am right."

I daresay we have not met, madam. Are you quite certain that you can read my mind that well?

And I'll double down on my remark about Bishops and priests. Your twist on my comment is wrong. In fact, the law/regulation (whatever) is right, not "I".

Or are you saying that the law/reg is wrong, and the clown-Masses are "serving the Church"? Hmmmmm?

So happens I am a switch-hitter, comfortable with (and working within) BOTH forms. But we work within the law/regs (or in one case, toward them, quickly). I happen to think that obedience--however difficult it may be--is "serving the Church."

YMMV.
  • CharlesW
    I gave up Prey Tail for Lent years ago.

• chonakchonak
    Or are you saying that the law/reg is wrong, and the clown-Masses are "serving the Church"? Hmmmmm?

This thread is about Responsorial Psalms, really. Various commenters were offering various opinions, and they were disagreeing about whether a Haugen psalm song meets the specific requirements of the law. So it was really a dispute about facts of the case, not about whether the law itself should be observed.
    That's true, no one has argued that the law should be ignored.

With regards to this:

Come on. Really? This is a tired, old talking point. Yes, clown-masses have happened. They are pretty much unheard of today and most of the internet sensations around them have been proven wrong. In one case, a service that there were pictures of was actually in an Episcopal church. In another, there was some weird situation where people showed up to mass dressed as clowns supposedly because they were actually working as clowns right before or after mass. Either way, it was proven that the picture was not of a clown-mass, but a couple people attending mass, arguably dressed inappropriately.

I don't know anyone who advocates clown masses, not even among some of the most progressive liturgists I know.

Since I said it before, I'll say it again so that you have clarity on what my contention is:

The law exists to be followed - but it also must be flexible and not rigid.

No one, least of all me, believes that we are at liberty to just ignore the law. But let me ask you this. If a grieving family wants "On Eagles Wings" for the psalm response at their grandmother's funeral, would you do it, or would you say no?

I'm sure you'd probably say no, and I'd applaud you for saying no at a Sunday mass or in other circumstances. But what damage have you done by not saying yes in the case of a funeral? Have you furthered the faith, or have you slammed a giant door in the face of it?

Oh, and one other thing - it's not "madam," it's "monsieur."
  • CharlesW
    Oh, and one other thing - it's not "madam," it's "monsieur."

Oh, you know those Traditionalists are like the Tennessee Legislature - obsessed with guns, sex - the sex that others are having, fear of the federal government, and gender angst. What can you do? LOL