Several settings in one mass
  • tiwa
    I was wondering if it's o.k to sing different mass settings for the same mass. For example singing kyrie from 'missa de Angelis', Gloria from 'messa cum jubilo' e.t.c
  • CharlesW
    My understanding is that you are free to mix and match. Many seem to do that.
    Thanked by 1tiwa
  • BenBen
    yes, it's ok.
    Thanked by 1tiwa
  • Liam
    It can be an improvement. I always preferred to use Proulx's Lamb of God from Festival Eucharist with the other Eucharistic parts of the Community Mass. Likewise, if the Massive Creation has to be on deck, do something other than the dreck Haugen wrote for the Lamb of God in it.

And, given the Missal chants for the Memorial Acclamation, one might always interpose those.
    Thanked by 1tiwa
  • Yes. That is perfectly acceptable.
    Thanked by 1tiwa
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    As everyone so far has pointed out - It's OK.

Someone with more knowledge, could you please fill in the detail here:
    It is my understanding that the Masses in the GR (and etc. books) were organized into groups pretty late, and that the individual "movements" arose and developed as independent units.

Is this accurate? When were they organized into "set lists"? What was the criteria for grouping them together?
    Thanked by 1tiwa
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    ...if the Massive Creation has to be on deck, do something other than the dreck Haugen wrote for the Lamb of God in it.

Haha! that's the part I disliked less than the rest. The point about making improvements stands.
    Thanked by 1tiwa
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes, mix and match, but do so with caution.

The Graduale Simplex, by the way, does this for us by creating some lovely easy chant Ordinaries that include some of the parts from the GR.
  • I'm a huge fan of the Graduale Simplex Ordinaries.
  • BenBen
    Me too. Don't have much use for them in my current situation, but they could be very useful in the future, and I've sung them in the past.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Adam, regarding the chants of the Kyriale, you are correct.

The pre-Solesmes Kyriale had in the main completely different chants than the Solesmes Kyrale. So the order of the current Kyriale wasn't put into place until the promulgation of the Vatican Edition. Earlier Solesmes/Pothier books have similar grouping but not all of the 18 ordinaries the VE gives. And newer editions further redistribute the settings of the Kyriale.

The Kyriale Cisterciense gives for Sundays Per annum: a slightly different version of Kyrie Orbis factor (more similar to the ad lib. version), and for the Sanctus and Agnus the chants that Solesmes assigned to Sundays of Advent and Lent in the Roman book.

The Sarum books are different; as are (of course) the Mozarabic and Ambrosian books; etc.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • So the order of the current Kyriale wasn't put into place until the promulgation of the Vatican Edition.

Graduals of the use of Roman Curia (like those of Friars Minor) already in 13th century have Kyriale chants grouped in sets and assigned to different feasts or seasons. They are not exactly the same as in the Vatican Edition, but some of the current sets one already sees in forming, e. g. I, IV, XI.
  • Singing different parts at different times in general is no prob.

As to what settings were composed together, the earliest grouping was Mass I, and the Requiem ordinary/ Mass XVIII was second. I would recommend singing those together.

Liam, totally agreed on the MOC Lamb of God. I haven't sung that in 5 years, and it still grates on my aural memory.