QUID (For Mr. Copper) : by Koerber : Now Available
  • francis
    Mr. Copper:

If you PM me, I will send you the complimentary flute part. Please record so we can hear it on the real instrument! Thanks.

Go to Web Page

Hear A Performance
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Lol. I played flute in school at Eastman, and not nearly as well as the flute majors; my beautiful silver Haynes flute was stolen in New York City long long ago. But if you'd like to email it to me I'll take a look at it: I still have opinions about flute music. mrcopper at (my little publishing outfit) hartenshield.com Or let melofluent do it, he says he still plays.

And is that complimentary, as in free, or complementary, as in obliggato?
  • francis
    Free
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "let melofluent do it, he says he still plays."
    Never stopped since undergrad.
    I'll record a little Bach for you and post it here later.
    Update: it seems the m4a file won't attach (not allowed), so you won't hear my off the cuff "Siciliano" from the Bach Eb from yesterday. Sorry.
  • francis
    I am with melo. I like the simpler version better.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, for whatever reason mrcopper thinks that flutes only do sparrows and papillions aurally, it is not a truism that ALL flute players like fast passages and lotsa notes. And for a composer to say to another "it needs more notes" reminds me of the fictitious utterance of Prince Frederick to Mozart in "Amadeus" that his work under discussion by the court had "too many notes." Both ludicrous and as I said, a comment uttered in hubris. I wonder if the opening note of Bach's famed "Air" is thus forbidden to flutes? So I guess "Syrinx" and "Density 21.5" are never played at Eastman, huh?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think you should rescore this as a duet for a whistler and a zamboni machine. There's a LOT more people who can whistle than play the flute. Also, it's much easier to find one zamboni driver than three people who play the lute.

This will cause some problems, though- Zamboni machines use tempered tuning, so you'd have to make some compromises around mm23-27 in particular.
  • francis
    Adam:

Please send me a recording of that one so I can put it on my website as QUID (for Adam Wood)
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I played both Syrinx and Density 21.5 ... more notes in them than you might think, although I don't clearly remember Density, except that it was difficult in uncomfortable ways. And, naturally, I had in mind the Amadeus quote when I made my comment. It was half-serious half joke. And, yes, you can't play Air on flute.
  • francis
    OK... first person to record the piece gets HIS name attached. Otherwise I will dedicate it to "Mr. Too Many Notes"
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    OK... first person to record the piece gets HIS name attached.

My zamboni is currently in the being retrofitted to run Hauptwerk.
  • francis
    Adam, what in heavens name is a zamboni!

UPDATE: OK... looked it up. Do you really have an ice glider?

I like this one.
    1762 x 1757 - 660K