A Certain job posting
  • There's a certain job posting which I was hoping no one would post here, but now someone has posted it, which means that it cannot be discussed by name. But if you look to the top of the page, it is the most "prominent" one.

Can we discuss the fact that they are asking for only a bachelor's degree in music? It would seem that this might be an indication that they intend to not pay beyond that level.

I also find it odd that they are making sure to include the contemporary ensemble in the job description. Now I'm not saying that contemporary ensembles are always bad things and can't have a place ever, but for a [this specific type of church], it seems odd that they don't say "Well, we'll see what direction the new music director takes. There could be room for a contemporary ensemble, or not, as well as a Gregorian chant schola, or not, or whatever, depending on what is in the director's vision." Instead, they just say "this will be part of it."

I also find it telling that the position has been vacated by one who moved to a smaller diocese and [this type of church.] Also very - interesting. Usually these types of moves happen the other way.
  • CGM
    As someone posted a few months back, watch for turnover in these high-profile positions. The quicker the turnover, the more difficult the working environment is (one can assume) for the organist/choirmaster.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Speculation like this can be hurtful to the church and people involved.
  • Or it can save someone thousands of dollars and life changing stress and save the church involved much heartache.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Well, I suspect there are still quite a few posts (I don't know anything about this one) where a bachelor's degree in music would be considered to render the applicant over-, rather than under-, qualified. Were, say, the possessor of a master's degree to apply, grunts of "elitist" would ensue. That said, I share Noel Jones' reluctance to speculate on this particular matter; and I make it a rule not to comment on this forum at all, except with my real name.
  • BruceL
    PGA, to be honest, I think it's just an attempt to not discourage applicants. It was legion when I got out of grad school for every place that paid 30k a year to ask for "MM plus 5 years' experience": yeah right! Plus, this is COLLABORATE with a contemporary ensemble, not direct it. Why can't we all get along? If any of this on the board don't think we'll have to collaborate with Hispanic Mass musicians, for instance, in our lifetime, we are mistaken. Plus, this is a good opportunity to "spread the good news" of authentic sacred music.

Finally, cathedral positions often wouldn't want someone to just "take it wherever": they are the bishop's church, and the ordinary should have a say...period. Also, it is not unheard of for people to want to leave "pressure cooker" jobs...metropolitan archdiocese can fit that description.

We could have many discussions about bad job posting descriptions...this ain't one of 'em.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • Kathy
    Just as a general comment, it seems to me there are two ways of designing a job search. One is to post the minimum requirements, expecting them all to be met or exceeded, and the other is to post a wish list, expecting to have to compromise on some points. I would imagine there are benefits to both these ways of doing things.
  • CharlesW
    I am with PGA on this one. Too often, musicians relocate at great expense to take a job that previous job holders have run screaming from. It's good to know such things in advance before uprooting family and moving. If the employer's feelings get hurt a bit from calling a spade a spade, and a hellhole a hellhole, so be it. Keep in mind I know nothing of this particular job and whether it is a spade or the other.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Just because a job is one person's hellhole doesn't mean it will be for the next person. I've taken two jobs that had numerous previous music directors who would all likely say that there were numerous problems with each place.

I thoroughly enjoyed both jobs and would gladly still work at either place.
  • I actually rejected my first teaching opportunity at a public school because of the way the admins treated the incumbent. They likely wouldn't have treated me that way, but who's to say? I didn't take the job. Kinda wish I had: it was a country school heavily rooted in athletics but the kids were good.
  • CharlesW
    You can't always know what you are getting into, but it is wise to keep your eyes and ears open.
  • Soooo, I just figured that someone who might be looking for a job might seize the opportunity to apply for a Cathedral. I noticed the bit about the Contemporary music, but I hold nothing against any institution that doesn't seek overly qualified candidates. I would be happy to work at a Cathedral for less than standard pay for the experience and resume padding. Regardless, I would rather let someone decide if it is right for his/herself.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You could go to the unnamed cathedral's website, locate the music page and take a look at the music list for the Sunday Masses at which the Cathedral Choir sings. I did, and I've seen (and experienced) a lot worse than this.
    Thanked by 2BruceL bkenney27
  • My point in stimulating this discussion was this:

Yes, this "hobby horse" is personal. I went and interviewed for a job 800 miles from home that seemed ideal. The committee put on a good face. I, being from far away, was necessarily naive and relied on whatever I could grasp at to make my decision on whether to go. The money was ok, the people seemed nice, the opportunity looked good.

I went to whomever I could and tried to make contacts in that area to find out information. Everyone that I contacted, thinking EXACTLY as many here do, told me "Oh, it's a good parish" etc.

It wasn't until much later on that someone who lived in the area told me "Oh everyone knows how the people are at St. ____ and that they had a tradition of crazy liturgy." The "tradition" had died mostly before I got there, but the aftershocks were always just beneath the surface.

My point? Someone with the courage could have said to me "Look, the job might be right for you, but they have a reputation around the diocese. The weird stuff that happened was only a couple years ago and they are known as cranky people, for what it's worth." But everyone thought that the charitable thing to do was just let the outsider walk right into the hole.

Had someone said that to me, I wouldn't have moved across the country, etc. etc.

This is why I think that analyzing situations - yes publicly - is important.

If I ever leave my current job, I will be more than upfront with anyone about the drawbacks, potential challenges, as well as the positives, which I believe greatly outweigh any negatives. But I would welcome someone to make up their own mind.
  • Also, for what it's worth - to Bruce - some of the best Cathedral music programs that I know - including one with a contemporary ensemble - are in place because those choosing, including the bishop, found the candidate that they were very comfortable with and they placed their trust in him and allowed him to develop a program. The bishops involved chose someone they could trust, so they weren't worried about what direction the director would take. And those programs are among the best.

(Not to uninclude you; I'm speaking of cathedrals that I know well and have attended mass there, etc.)
  • BruceL
    Right: I understand. It's just that many of the things you experienced in that situation are very complicated. I don't think I would interview somewhere that didn't pay for things; in one case, I DID, and figured they were paying for everything (since they paid for a flight, etc.) They had me there for three days...no offer to repay for meals, and I was on my own for every one! You just never know.

Likewise about jobs themselves. It's really impossible to know the politics ahead of time.

Also, with respect, I don't see how CharlesW's comment would apply in this case. We all take risks. I don't know of any musician who has worked any length of time and HASN'T had significant professional disappointment. I can think of 3-5 people just from those who post here fairly regularly. It does rather go with the territory. I just don't see how this job description would evoke any of those bad memories for us.

The best you can do (after they call you for an interview, pay for it, you go) is lay it out on the table (about what you plan to do) during your interview, especially if you have a family, and hope for the best. I have at both my full time jobs with reasonable to great results: the first, much of it went over heads (to my frustration), but it was not malicious. Again, we can only pray, be prudent, and hope for the best. And yes, you will forget things...like how much the healthcare premium is (not that I would ever do anything so stupid...errr...)
  • CharlesW
    As I mentioned, I know nothing of this particular place where the job is posted. However, if I were looking at a position, I would make efforts to contact folks in the local AGO chapter and any others I could reasonably contact, and ask questions. You can't know too much, I think.