Podatus initio debilis in Gregorio
  • RobertRobert
    The Gregorio website (http://home.gna.org/gregorio/gabc/details) states:

In the Solesmes hymnary of 1983, two new notations were introduced: the pesquassus and the podatus initio debilis. The first is written using an o after the first note, as it is an oriscus, and the second is written logically with a - before the first note.

However, following these instructions does not result in something resembling the example given on p. xii of the Liber Hymnarius of a regular podatus initio debilis. The note head is facing west rather than east. It is possible however to render the augmented liquescent correctly.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?
  • chonakchonak
    This is a good question for the gregorio-users mailing list. The developers read that and respond to questions there.
  • I am glad you asked that question, just pulled out my semiology book because I was so puzzled by the gregorio results for the podatus initio debilis ?
  • Did Robert's question how to code the pes initio debilis in Gregorio ever get an answer?
  • chonakchonak
    I just ran this sample

%%
    (c4)A(goi)ve(-gi)

and got

187 x 120 - 3K
  • Richard, I just ran the same code, but this is what I got:
  • chonakchonak
    What version of Gregorio are you using? I ran my example above on my website running v2.4.0 (gregorio.gabrielmass.com) and on my home installation (v4.0.0-rc1).
  • chonakchonak
    @bbloomf can probably tell you what version of Gregorio is installed there.

In the meantime, try your gabc code on http://gregorio.gabrielmass.com and see if you get the result you want.
  • Yes, thank you, it now prints out as desired. Evidently a newer version of the program. The pes initio debilis now faces the right direction.
  • Yes, I think dev.illuminarepublications.com/gregorio/ is still running something like gregorio 2.0. We will upgrade eventually, but there are several things that depend on the install of gregorio on that server, so we need to be careful.