score for gaudete christus est natus
  • Is there a score for this latin Christmas hymn? I am hoping to obtain a good harmonisation of the refrain.
  • There is a nice arrangement by Craig Kingsbury and Bob Hurd. We used it last year for Christmas and it sounded very nice.

http://www.ocp.org/products/30114238
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    There are also a number of scores here on CPDL.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is a score. This is the traditional harmonization and includes the verses, too.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Here is a score.

Where?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Here is a Finale (2011) file of the refrain.
    (I did this a couple years ago).
    http://musicforsunday.com/files/gaudete.mus
    (PDF printout attached.)

Somewhere, I have an Englished set of verses I used with the Latin refrain.
    If anybody thinks that would be helpful, I try to find them.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is a score.

Where?

Umm, it is (and was) a PDF attached file. Didn't you see it?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Didn't you see it?

I see it now!
    Wasn't there before, but you know how these new fangled computers are...
  • I would be interested in any English translation of the original latin verses of this hymn, which scans rhymes and can be fit to the tune.
    Here is a version I have tried, any comments welcome. I found an unattributed set of English verses on the net, if anyone know where they are from I would be happy to know. I changed the 2nd and 3rd verses as they did not seem to me to capture the meaning of the original.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • As I've read, Piae cantiones - it was a Protestant collection of chant. Was Gaudete approved for use in Catholic Church? I mean during Traditional Mass pre-Vatican II...
    The same I'd like to know about "Personent hodie" .
  • a_f_hawkins
    The songs were originally pre-reformation, but the collection (of songs sung at the Cathedral School of Åbo/Turku) was published after the reformation and had been edited to make them less Catholic. Since then they have been restored to their original form.
    Thanked by 2Cecilia27 CCooze
  • chonakchonak
    The boisterous style of those pieces makes them more suited for use before or after Mass, or in a concert. Songs such as "Gaudete" and "Personent hodie" qualify as "popular religious song", and as such are permitted, as specified in the 1958 Instruction "De musica sacra".

Much of the content of "Piae Cantiones" is medieval: i.e., pre-Protestant, and unobjectionable. Some pieces were subjected to Protestant-motivated editing in some versions of the book, while some later editions restored medieval texts that had been modified. You can read the texts yourself to verify whether there's any reason for concern. If the grammar looks mangled, I'll blame the Protestants. :-)
    Thanked by 1Cecilia27
  • Of course if you want them to sound Catholic you can always sing them in equalist rhythm.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • ViolaViola
    Here's a recording of the carol performed in a Geordie accent by the 70s group Steeleye Span. It suggests a lively mediaeval performance. I like the way the chorus is repeated with a female voice added; rather like adding a 4foot stop.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pe3e2qk9wQ
    I have a three part version somewhere; will have a look, if anyone is interested.
  • A variation...