ATT Arrangements
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Does anyone know where I can find good ATT arrangements? I've checked CPDL, and many of theirs use an older notation.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ATT arrangements are pretty much the same as ATB arrangements. What older notation do you mean? ... perhaps bass clef for the second tenor part ... or some sort of C-clef?
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • jefe
    What kind of group is it? mixed with female alto, male tenors? All men? It makes a difference in the ranges, more or less. And, what style of music for 'good' arrangements? Renaissance? Baroque? Medieval? I have a lot of music arranged for all men: ATBar, and a few for all women, SAT, which are maybe a third to a fifth apart on the exact same piece. Most of my stuff is for Compline which includes: Orisons (kind of short introits for a quiet service); Hymns; Psalm settings, usually the entire Psalm with G.P.; Nunc dimittisae with antiphons; and short anthems, all for 3 voices fairly close together. Much of my stuff is stemless; meterless; timeless and barline free. Here are a few at random:
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Our group is female alto, and two male tenors. The reason I stay away from the ATB stuff is that neither of us tenors has particularly strong lower notes.

@CHGiffen, I was referring to jefe's stemless, meterless, timeless and barline free notation. On second thought, though, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out, I was just intimidated by it at first, especially if I have to present it to someone else. The three of us are trained musicians: the alto has a degree in music education, grew up in the Episcopal Church and has had Royal School of Music training as a chorister, I have a degree in music education and I am receiving voice training currently, and the other tenor is the parish organist and he has a degree in music education as well, and sings with the Indianapolis Symphonic Choir.
  • jefe
    Interesting trio. Balance is the big issue with a female alto on the top voice and male tenors on the lower parts. If the tenors have a small and soft sound, then it should be fine. My wife is a classically trained mezzo with a gift of a lot tone that projects well in the bottom of the treble clef. She sang with Roger Wagner for years, did movie background music calls in Hollywood and is the chantress for our Voces angelorum. The point is, she can hold her own, balance-wise, one on one with any of our tenors. But this is not typical. If you have a music notation program like Sibelius, it should be easier to custom place any ATB/TTB tunes up a few clicks to take advantage of the middle of each singer's money register. That custom transposing is called Chiavette, typically up or down a 4th or 5th depending on the groups. I have some SSA and SAT trios that could be transposed down to achieve a similar result. If you go this route, I can supply you with all my trios in Sibelius format. Of course, if you could only find an adequate baritone or bass, I have a LOT of service music for ATTB. My specialty is bizarre voicings with female: S, SA, SSA, SSAA, SSAAT, and male: AT, ATB, TTB, AATB, ATTB, ATBarB, and so on since many of those voicings have no repertoire. Yours, at ATT is even more scarce.
  • jefe
    After further contemplation, I'm thinking it's all about voicing, not about gender, with the one alto balance caveat. It has been interesting going where few have tread to find ways to make the voicing work. You are now one of the few. Good luck and expect to extrude music from a variety of sources to get any kind of library for said voicing. Also, if you don't have some kind of music program on your computer, chances are slim that you will have enough music for the group to thrive. The lowest 5 or 6 ladies in Voces sing in the tenor range and much of their parts are in 8va lower treble clef, aka vocal tenor clef. One would think they have no sound or carrying power down to C below middle C (or as a couple can go down to low A, bottom space, bass clef), but they do and it works out, some of which is the fact that there is no other tenor or male voice in the vicinity to muddy up their fainter but angelic tone. Also, I'm not so sure it would work in another Nave since ours favors the lowest voice, whatever the circumstance. Still my first choice would be for you to beat the bushes to get a pale toned baritone (barely a tone?) that can read, to round up your little band into a repertoire rich environment and transpose a few low notes up an 8va.
    jefe
  • jefe
    For example, a minute ago I transposed my SSA harmonization of Ps. 91 (one of the 4 Psalms assigned to Compline) down a minor 3rd now for ATT. If you were in any kind of Anglican Church you will recognize the harmonized Anglican Chant style, only realized for music readers.