COUNTING OUR BLESSINGS?
  • rob
    In the spirit of the holiday, is there some someone or something for which you are truly thankful and which inspires you to persevere in your own commitment to sacred music?

For me, it is the choir at St. Anne's, a small parish in San Diego, California.

Every week, a couple dozen or so volunteers and two or three choral scholars spend four hours in rehearsal to prepare a chant/polyphonic ordinary, full Gregorian propers, and several motets and hymns for that Sunday's principal Mass and other liturgical celebrations.

About a third of the choir are teens, with a majority of the others being young adults under 30, and a sizeable contingent of retirees.

They are diverse in their interests and experiences, but united in their commitment to the choir. It is obvious, too, that for them it is as much about their faith, as it is the music alone.

They are blessed to have the support of their pastor and associate priests who never fail to appear at rehearsals with words of encouragement and a blessing, occasionally even staying to sing some part of the rehearsal.

Still, despite all their best intents and efforts, they could never have accomplished what they have done without the expert direction of their choir master, Mrs. Mary Ann Carr Wilson, whose character and talent can be attested to by many on this forum.

Among all the choirs in southern California, they were recently invited to sing a Mass for the 25th Anniversary of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter. If interested, you can hear and see the Mass in this video recording:
    http://fssp.com/press/2013/11/twenty-fifth-anniversary-events-of-the-fssp

• JulieCollJulieColl
    I watched the video yesterday with my husband and we were so impressed by the outstanding quality of the music and the sense of vitality and joy in your parish. You are indeed very blessed!

I'm very thankful for our little Latin Mass community here on Long Island. The priests and congregation are dedicated, welcoming, and fun-loving people. I'm grateful for our star soprano and cantrix who, besides her angelic voice, is a joy to work with and be around.

Huge thanks are due to my husband and 4 teens and college-age kids who form the core of our choir. They willingly practice several times a week for Sunday Mass, help load the car on Sunday morning with a keyboard and sound equipment and hardly ever complain even though they are sometimes packed in like sardines.

Our music ministry has been the adventure of a lifetime, and I'm so grateful for the many lessons we've learned, the people we've met and the privilege of bringing beauty and joy to others and glory to God.

• JulieCollJulieColl
    P.S. A big thank you also to Jeffrey Tucker, the CMAA and the people on this forum. I'm enormously grateful for your vision, zeal and sense of camaraderie. It's one thing to promote sacred music, and that's a grand and lofty goal, but the spirit of welcome and the generosity and helpfulness of the folks in this group is unparalleled. I have learned so much in a short time and am continually in awe of the erudition and resources of the members, but the charity and welcome is what is most outstanding.

. . . ante omnia mutuam in vosmet ipsos caritatem continuam habentes quia caritas operit multitudinem peccatorum (1 Peter 4:8)
  • rob
    Amen!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I began a new position this week and am very thankful for this opportunity and for my predecessor for leaving me such an immaculate program. Though I'm also thankful for my previous program and that I was able to leave it in the hands of a very worthy and competent interim director.
  • Kathy
    I'm grateful for the experience of being a parish music director, and grateful to for the opportunities that allowed me to move on from parish work. I've been so blessed to know wonderful people in every place I've been--people who have set good examples of faith.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I'm so grateful for the schola I have the privilege to sing with. Incredibly talented and dedicated director, a bunch of enthusiastic college kids, and plenty of other talent. We're even graced with the retired Pastor who loves to chant!
  • Thanks, Rob, for starting this thread, and for your kind thoughts and support. I'm grateful to you and all the singers I have the privilege to direct. Your dedication and desire to praise God with love and skill keeps me on my toes, and has made me a better follower of Jesus.

Overall I'm incredibly thankful for the sung liturgy, as the chants draw me closer to Christ and give me an opportunity to reflect on the mysteries of our faith. God is so good. We strive to praise Him worthily, to offer a return on His generosity, and He pours out grace in the process. Truly God can never be outdone.

Despite the ups and downs, we are all so blessed.
  • A few things -

1. The patronage of Ss. Gregory, Caecilia, Dunstan, and Our Lady of Holy Hope.

2. The seemingly infinite treasury of Catholic music that has been handed down through the centuries, and the care with which so much of it is preserved. Just when I think I've heard all the beautiful music there is to be heard, more music presents itself and I am won over all over again.

3. An amazing choir of nonprofessional singers who, in spite of limited resources, scheduling constraints, travelling distance, dungeon, fire, and sword, are still committed to singing quality chant and polyphony for the greater glory of God.
  • BenBen
    I'm grateful for the situation I'm in, being able to direct my first ongoing schola under the direction of a musically inclined priest who has helped me grow as a musician.

While I'll certainly admit that I've still got a lot to learn, I'm grateful for this first opportunity that I've been given, in spite of my imperfections. I'm also thankful for the patience of my singers (and pips) as they adjust to a new style, as the previous director had been there quite a while before.

I'm also grateful to my other director friends who has allowed me to sing with them, and again, help me grow and improve my skills.

And of course, for the CMAA and the forum, specifically, where I have learned an incredible amount and made many friends too, both online and even in "real life!"
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I am eternally grateful, on behalf of all choirmasters whose spouses directly and incidentally support their partners in assisting the Faithful to fit and proper sung worship, for forty years' of love of the world's finest soprano and fine pianist as well who, for reasons known only to her and God, chose me as her life's companion.
  • Ad multos annos!
  • francis
    For those that suffer persecution, scorn, indifference and are exiled from their role as a leader in church music and hold fast to the faith nonetheless.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Amen, Francis! That had to be said. Been in those work situations, and I have no illusions about the near certainty of being there again as we all wade through this time of ecclesial identity crisis.

For all our colleagues persecuted for being obedient to authentic teaching, indeed for all Christians suffering in any way for love of Christ and His Church, we are grateful and we are with you in the Heart of Jesus.