homilist as guitarist?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Is there any legislation regarding a celebrant picking up a guitar and singing-and-strumming a song he wrote the night before as part of a homily?

It strikes me as being in poor taste, regardless of how well-intended it might have been. But unfortunately, I don't see any explicit prohibition of such a practice… at least, I don't know of any such prohibition.
  • BenBen
    As other posters have said before on similar matters, there's no prohibition to being an idiot.

Sorry, not sure I can help you with specific legislation, but not sure you'll find any.
  • chonakchonak
    If you're lucky enough to have a particularly good diocesan office for worship, you might ask them what they think of it; at best, they might give Father a call to discourage such a practice; and at worst, they'd do nothing, so your parish wouldn't be any worse off.

(Addendum: of course, this would be risky if they were to name you as the source of the inquiry.)
  • celebrant picking up a guitar and singing-and-strumming a song

It seems to be it is becoming a common practice. I have seen it many times in the last few years, and in fact just the other day too.
  • Forget about liturgical music for one second (hah!). This is just bad homiletics. What is everyone going to take away from that homily? I absolutely guarantee it will be "I loved/hated that Father played the guitar," not "The message of that homily will stick with me."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    I think Fr. Krisman is making a reference to a song on the Beatles' White Album.
  • ronkrisman
    Just my favorite scripture, Kathy, when I hear about crazy things such as the above.

Perhaps we should recommend a new particular law for the USA, to be added to the GIRM:

9999. Priest celebrants are permitted to sing a ditty of their choosing during the liturgical homily as often as one time per year as long as they chant the dialogues of the order of Mass and the preface of the eucharistic prayer at all Sunday Masses without exception.
  • Kathy
    THIS
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    there's no prohibition to being an idiot.

Maybe someone should file a dubium on this topic.

"Is it permitted for a priest to be an idiot?"
  • St Matthew 5:22
  • canadashcanadash
    We had a guest priest karaoke during his homily a couple of years back. He had a pleasant (Michael Buble sort of way) voice. It made me rather uncomfortable but the parishioners who shared their thoughts indicated he was fabulous and the performance spoke to them. sigh...
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I must say that I felt more like Matthew 21:12-13.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Lord, I offer gratitude for this celebrant and the congregation that he performed his own piece rather than the interminable Leonard Cohen "Hallelujah." NOTFSAHS, amen.
    Thanked by 2canadash Ben Dunlap
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Charles, "NOTFSAHS"… help?
  • For regular homilies, imho, the use of an instrument definitely takes away the meaning of the words, and yes, a lot of people will roll their eyes and say "there he goes again", missing the entire meaning of his words. On the other hand, missionaries who come to the parish and do missions often use instruments and it enhances the mission. I guess there is a time and place for everything. There is one priest in my Diocese that regularly pulls out his flute for his homilies and the moans begin the minute he walks down the aisle to the processional hymn.
  • francis
    Tacky and Egocentric
    It's showtime at the Apollo
  • CharlesW
    Does anyone still throw tomatoes? That could cure a lot of this tendency toward showing off.
    Thanked by 3Salieri Spriggo ryand
  • SalieriSalieri
    Does anyone still throw tomatoes? That could cure a lot of this tendency toward showing off.

This is also a good reason for the choir to sing in a loft; and for the addition of a chair-organ/choir/ruckspositif to futher aid deflection of juicy, red comestibles. (purpura)
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Name of the Father...
    Thanked by 1Mark M.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I think there's a particular city in Spain that engages in the indiscriminate exchange and bombast of burst tomotos on a particular day. Perhaps HHF might propagate a new, outdoor devotional in August ('cause I don't like Caesar Augustus) that all RCC malcontents can express "Is outrage" without sanction and recrimination?
    I think Boston does this too, eh RC/Liam?

http://youtu.be/FH-CFNkmplw
  • SalieriSalieri
    On the Feast of St. Stephen (in Poland and in some very Polish parts of the US) it is customary to pelt the priest with walnuts (in the shell) on his way back to the rectory after Mass.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Better walnuts than arrows? And one could raise the cassock to collect the spoils for cakes, pies and toppings! Ummm.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Evangelii gaudium (emphasis mine):
    138. The homily cannot be a form of entertainment like those presented by the media, yet it does need to give life and meaning to the celebration. It is a distinctive genre, since it is preaching which is situated within the framework of a liturgical celebration; hence it should be brief and avoid taking on the semblance of a speech or a lecture. A preacher may be able to hold the attention of his listeners for a whole hour, but in this case his words become more important than the celebration of faith. If the homily goes on too long, it will affect two characteristic elements of the liturgical celebration: its balance and its rhythm. When preaching takes place within the context of the liturgy, it is part of the offering made to the Father and a mediation of the grace which Christ pours out during the celebration. This context demands that preaching should guide the assembly, and the preacher, to a life-changing communion with Christ in the Eucharist. This means that the words of the preacher must be measured, so that the Lord, more than his minister, will be the centre of attention.

Perhaps I've found what I'm looking for. Thank you, Pope Francis.