Playing/Singing for Funerals
  • What is the usual procedure for church musicians with regards to funerals?

Because of the short-notice nature of funeral work, I imagine that the scenario tends towards a cantor + organist rather than the parish choir.

Some questions:

Do you have a recommended/standard hymn list from which the family selects:
    - hymns
    - chants
    - mass ordinaries
    - readings, etc ?

What are the usual arrangements for negotiating fees? (I don't like having to talk money with a grieving relative)

Are there any particular practices that one needs to be aware of with regards to funeral directors?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Speaking for myself...

If I am playing at another parish, I do whatever is asked of me, take my check, and go home. Fortunately, I haven't been asked to do anything too objectionable...yet.

At my parish, I provide a list of possible choices of music (mainly the usual suspects) and suggested places for each of the songs to go. I would like to make an improved list, but I don't want to spend any of my limited "capital" on that at this time.

The parish provides the family of the deceased with a small book called "Through Death to Life" that contains a bunch of recommendations for the texts of the Mass: opening prayers, prayers if the faithful, readings, the whole sha-bang.

I wouldn't let them pick a Mass ordinary. You do what is common in the parish where the funeral is being held. If they specifically ask for some particular setting of the ordinary (even though you didn't ask them for a suggestion), you should probably acquiesce.

The parish also provides the family of the deceased with a small packet of funeral policies, which includes the amount for the organist ($125), church ($100), and cantor ($50). I usually wind up playing and singing myself, but I do not take the cantor fee.

As always, YMMV.
  • We provide a list of songs to choose from, based on what is in the books and what can be done on short notice. That's at my parish. If I'm asked to play at another parish, I consult the respective music director if there is one to find out if they have a list, otherwise I just do as Irish says above me, play, take my check, and go home. Fees are usually worked out between the individual musicians and the families, whether it be for weddings, funerals, etc. I think that the scale Irish listed is reasonable, although in my area, you could probably get away with charging 200 for the organist fee. At my home parish, we always do cantor and organist for funerals. At another parish where I serve, it is up to the family, but a small choir can be provided for funerals upon request. I wouldn't say that is standard, though.
  • CharlesW
    The church office tells families the amount they are required to pay the organist. When I am involved, I tell them they can choose anything that is in our current hymnal. If someone else plays, it is up to them as to what they are willing to play. Granted, you will get a request from time-to-time for "On Eagle's Wings." It is in the hymnal, unfortunately, which will be remedied the next time we buy hymnals.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I maintain that asking family members to select hymns is bad. And not primarily because they pick out bad stuff. Because they shouldn't be put in the position of making decisions like that.

There should be a specific plan in place already. The family should be asked: do you have any specific requests? These should be accommodated as much as possible.

You may also ask, "Would you like to help select the music, or do you want us to just take care of it?" If they ask to help, they should be provided with options and guidance.

Families have enough to deal with. They shouldn't have to plan liturgy also.
  • Ally
    Adam, that's so true. Often families just go with a title that they have heard at another funeral because they have no idea what else to choose and feel overwhelmed by it. Without a pastor now, I have been meeting with every family (at least one a week) to help them choose their readings, music, etc. The policy has been to let them choose off of a list. Sometimes, they just say "I don't know" or "what does everyone else pick?" Every so often I'll get a person who asks that and then wants to make sure we don't use any of those top 4 or 5... which is fine with me. Certainly, in getting to know these people, I would say most of them are overwhelmed with the whole concept of choosing readings, songs, etc. I do get asked a lot what I would recommend.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • Yes, Adam, I quite agree. Having the selections in place and seeing if they have any objections or special requests often saves them the trouble of thinking about something that they've no idea where to start from in some cases.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    My favorite job I've had over the past few years was a parish that had a form for them to fill out that had no "music requests" section, but rather an "additional requests" section that had (music, vestments, luncheon) written next to it. Usually they'd make lunch requests and leave music entirely to me. I never saw anyone use it to request violet/black/white vestments.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • BenBen
    My favorite job I've had over the past few years was a parish that had a form for them to fill out that had no "music requests" section, but rather an "additional requests" section that had (music, vestments, luncheon) written next to it. Usually they'd make lunch requests and leave music entirely to me. I never saw anyone use it to request violet/black/white vestments.

That's a really good idea. If you aren't going to like people's music choice, don't directly ask. Let them say something if they feel strongly, but don't make them fill it in if they don't want.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Let them say something if they feel strongly, but don't make them fill it in if they don't want.

Precisely.

When asked to do it themselves, OF COURSE they will pick terrible things. IT'S ALL MOST PEOPLE KNOW.

But that doesn't mean it's what they really want, or that they really care.

And if someone REALLY WANTS "Amazing Grace" or "Eagle's Wings" - they will tell you. And you should do it.

Funeral planning is one (of many) areas where modern attempts to "be pastoral and sensitive" are the EXACT OPPOSITE. "Sorry your husband died. Please take some time over the next few days to do the Music Director's job."
  • canadashcanadash
    Great thoughts on choosing music.

As for $, in our area the fee is taken by the funeral home and a cheque is made out to the organist/cantor. If I sub at another church, I make my fee known to the secretary, she informs the funeral home and everytime I play through that funeral home, they take care of the cheque. It is a great set up and I've always been paid.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    BTW- something I started doing a few years ago, for funerals within my own parish:

"I know it's a hectic time, and there's a lot of expenses all of the sudden. Because of the time and work required to provide music for a funeral, I consider my rate to be $XXX. However, if there is some reason that this is a hardship for you, please know that this is not a hindrance and that I will still be able to do the service. On the other hand, if you are able pay a little more to help cover for others throughout the year who can't afford it, that is greatly appreciated."

Since I started that, I have always received more than I ask for. And I, am of course, willing to do it without pay if needed.
  • jpal
    I give everyone a pre-filled music list with well-known but appropriate hymns. There is a footnote that if they want to look at alternatives to the hymns in the "gray boxes" (entrance, offertory, communion), they can choose from the list on the attached page (which contains more suggestions from the Vatican II Hymnal). Most people do want to at least look through other options; generally this is done right in my office rather than having them take it home. Same thing with readings.

If the usual suspects are requested, we sing them as prelude. If someone is really insistent on something during the liturgy, we sometimes sing it at the end after the In paradisum. In the rare case that someone is upset about not being able to have Eagle's Wings or something during the Mass rather than before or after, I explain that we believe it's very important for everyone to have at least the text of the songs in front of them during the Mass, and unfortunately the songs they have requested are under copyright and we need special permission (our parish does not subscribe to an umbrella reprint license). Generally people are content with that, and agree that it's important to have the text in front of everyone. Nobody has ever asked, "How do we get that permission?" but if they did, I would tell them, and then request permission from the priest to print their song. Of course the publishers make it simple to request permission for such things on short notice.

Occasionally someone will request "We Walk By Faith," in which case I will print the text (which is not under copyright) and sing the Haugen melody. Amazing Grace is often requested and always happily permitted.

At all costs, I avoid descending into arguments about style and appropriateness. I used to do that a lot, and it caused a lot of unnecessary hurt.

Regarding payment, we give them an option to put it on the funeral home tab, or to do it themselves: "Would you like payment for the musicians to go through the funeral home, or would you like to take care of it yourself?". I have to do this because occasionally they have already been billed by the funeral home before they get to me. People know well by the time they get to you that funeral services ("services" in the business sense) cost money, usually funeral homes give them an estimate of musician fees. Our local funeral homes know our rates, so by the time I talk to the family they already know what to expect.
  • jpal
    Adam, how often do you have a situation come up where they can't afford musicians? I think in my 3 1/2 years here, that has happened twice. In both cases of course, as you said, we did the funeral for no charge. I'm just wondering how often it happens elsewhere.
  • CharlesW
    Last year, a lady came to us distraught over her son who had committed suicide. She was in a rather dire financial state, so I asked that no mention of money be made to her. The cantor and I showed up, did what I thought was a good funeral service, and we didn't ask for fees. That is the first time in 10 years that has happened.
    Thanked by 3jpal JulieColl Jani
  • Any suggestions for the following problem? A small group of family and friends attend a funeral, where the deceased's remains have been cremated, and placed, in a cardboard box, under a pall on a pedestal in the front of the church before the service. At the end of the liturgy, the priest says "In peace let us take our brother to his place of rest," and starts down the aisle, and I begin the recessional; but, no one follows the priest. All the mourners stand mute and still while I sing all the verses. There was nobody from the funeral home present to lead the mourners. After I finish singing, I continue to play the organ, and they eventually drift out. A couple return to retrieve the ashes (and thank me for the heartfelt music).

Possibilities:

1) The priest beckons the mourners to follow. Someone returns (or stays behind) to remove the ashes.

2) The mourners are instructed before the service to carry the ashes, following the priest during the recessional.

3) To preserve the dignity of the rite, the parish makes a temporary, portable casket or reliquary available when needed, that can be easily carried. The cardboard box can be placed inside for the service and the recessional.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I've only once had a Funeral where the family said they couldn't afford the music/church fee. Then at the luncheon someone apparently went around collecting for the cantor and I and we both made more than our regular stipends.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam, how often do you have a situation come up where they can't afford musicians?

Once. And the parish covered it anyway.
    (I didn't ask them to. I just was handed a check.)

Noel would point out: I work for Episcopalians.
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • Adam--same here. If the family cannot pay the musician, I always get a check from the parish. And, like you, I didn't ask for it, but it was on the organ when I arrived.
  • Would anyone be willing to share the hymn list you work from for funerals? We use OCP books.

Thanks,
    Kathy
  • Jani
    I've had these experiences with funerals: 1. helping to plan my dad's and 2. dealing with funerals in my parish.

My dad lived in a big parish. The funeral home had a representative from the parish at the planning meeting (I think she was a nun, but who knows?) and she had everything for the Mass right there in a binder. We selected the readings (and readers) and the music, as well as the style of music, i.e. keyboard/guitar combo, piano, organ. The fee was also set right then and paid to the funeral home who pays the Church. Incidentally, they also work with all the florists so we chose the flower arrangements at the same time and that went into the bill as well.

Here in my small parish there has never been a plan in place to deal with our (fortunately, very infrequent) funerals. I've often thought about getting something going with the local funeral homes so there is some consistency. As it is now, sometimes the family of the deceased will just approach a member of the parish and request that they do something, like play their crappy guitar for the service, or to let the parish women know that the family will be holding the luncheon at their home. Sometimes there is no one available to lead the rosary at the vigil because maybe there is no resident priest or whatever. It's kind of crazy, really. As for a fee - obviously we have no standard in place and no one has ever offered to pay anything.

I've shown up at two funerals just to attend them, and ended up singing the Mass unaccompanied because there was no one else to do it.

Kathy - when left to my druthers, the one hymn I will always sing for funerals is I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • Kathy, I think I started a thread about funeral music where a few others posted their sheets. I'll see if I can locate it.
  • http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/8822/funeral-music-selection

There are only one or two lists posted, but just in case it helps...
    Thanked by 1teachermom24