Forum: Editing old messages
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Fixes and Features in New Forum Software.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I was wondering if it would be possible to consider limiting the amount of time in which a poster is able to edit his or her comments?

ISTM that lately there has been more and more people saying (I assume snarky or rude) things that they later go back and delete. Not only does their deleting sometimes disrupt the flow of an otherwise helpful thread, and make it confusing to read for people who are trying to read it later, but equally important, perhaps if people were aware that they could not go back and edit their comments much later, they would do a little more self-moderating and think twice before posting something rude, or be a little more careful in how they say things. I'm suggesting limiting self-editing ability to an hour or maybe even just 10 minutes (long enough to realize if you made glaring grammatical or spelling errors or wanted to immediately clarify something you said.)
    Thanked by 2bkenney27 Ben
  • BenBen
    I also find this frustrating when someone deletes and the thread is disrupted. However, I like being able to edit as well.

Perhaps something in the editing process dissuading users from "deleting" their posts, per forum policy, or something like that?
  • chonakchonak
    It's a no-win situation.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Liam
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Outright deletion of ones post is really poor etiquette. People who post here should have at least a modicum of foresight when they are contemplating something that might be inflammatory or otherwise inappropriate. An apology when needed and helpful edits (eg. to correct or update information) are appropriate, and when editing a post at all substantially, the poster should leave as much of the essence of the original in tact and explain or describe the editorial changes.

It's common decency and respect.
    Thanked by 4Ben chonak Jani eft94530
  • francis
    The rule I impose on myself is "Don't hit the POST COMMENT button unless you would have the world read it for the next 100 years. Once in a while, I will write a post, but wait an hour or even a day if it is something on the edge. Sometimes our opinions are best left unsaid if they are going to cause hurt or are inflammatory... but not always.
  • BenBen
    Indeed. The save draft button is helpful.
  • BenBen
    Agreed, Chuck.
  • CharlesW
    I like the edit feature. There is no way to predict how someone, somewhere is going to react to a print comment. You can't look at the poster and see facial expressions or other cues for meaning. A comment can appear harmless, but when read in an unforeseen context, can come across differently. Then there are those with feelings on their sleeves who look for offense, but that's another matter. Keep the edit feature and don't listen to the heretical revisionists. ;-)
  • marajoymarajoy
    There is no way to predict how someone, somewhere is going to react to a print comment. You can't look at the poster and see facial expressions or other cues for meaning. A comment can appear harmless, but when read in an unforeseen context, can come across differently. Then there are those with feelings on their sleeves who look for offense, but that's another matter.

So... people should be more careful about what they write!
    And like regular IRL conversation, sometimes someone takes offense at something that wasn't offensive at all, and that's when you say, "oh, that's not what I meant at all. my apologies. let me clarify..." (And any future readers are fully capable of determining for themselves if the accusations were merited.)
    IRL you can't "take back" literally or change something that you previously said.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen eft94530
  • chonakchonak
    The edit feature is a merciful concession to human flaws. It lets people reduce the harmful effects of their incorrect or imprudent writings (effects to others and to themselves).

But I'm willing to experiment: I've set the edit clock down from infinity to one month.

We'll see how long it takes before I get a message from someone wanting to edit an older message than that.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • chonakchonak
    [I deleted a bunch of off-topic comments.]
  • francis
    What has been said here cannot be unheard.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood