Largest Wurlitzer Theatre Organ in the World
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Any guesses where that might be?

Go ahead- guess.

A PIZZA RESTAURANT
  • CharlesW
    While certainly not the largest, we are fortunate to have a Wurlitzer still in its original installation.

http://www.tennesseetheatre.com/about-us/the-mighty-wurlitzer/

I know you can't play Bach on it - as if that was ever the ultimate measure of an instrument's worth - but it's a wonderful instrument from the days when organs were held in higher public esteem.
  • Just a stab. Radio City Music Hall in New York City.
  • Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa, Arizona.

It's great, but Cici's has better pizza!
  • CharlesW
    Supposedly, Radio City's organ is 58 ranks. St. Wiki says it is the largest Wurlitzer ever built for a theater.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    JOIN THE SACRED MUSIC REVOLUTION IN THE DESERT

Also... have some pizza, listen to some theater organ, etc.
  • ...I think I now need a "Duck" stop on my H&H (complete with the duck itself, of course, and fully visible) for those painful eulogies.
  • chonakchonak
    This place near Milwaukee was worth a drive from Chicago:
    http://www.organpiperpizza.com/
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It's great, but Cici's has better pizza!

How can any pizza restaurant anywhere have pizza that is not as good as Cici's?
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    From the Musical Staff bio page:
    She originally joined the Organ Stop staff in the early 1970’s, playing at the Phoenix location. Since that time, Donna has played at several organ equipped pizza parlors across the country.

HOW MANY PIZZA RESTAURANTS ARE EQUIPPED WITH ORGANS?!
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • CharlesW
    bkenney27, if by H&H you mean Harrison and Harrison, you are indeed a lucky man. I would trade my Schantz for one of those any day. Beautiful instruments. If you mean Hook & Hastings, they were not bad, either.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Type "organ equipped" into Google.
    "Organ equipped pizza parlors" is the auto-complete.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I think another claimant used to be a pizzaria in Fresno, Adam. I remember a story about it from a couple of decades ago.
  • Okay, now that things seem to have quieted down on this thread, let’s admit it. Real pizza eating music is played on a concertina.
  • Liam
    Yeah, but are the bellows coal-fired?
  • Carl DCarl D
    I've been to that Organ Stop three times now, our daughter used to live in Mesa. Great organ. Not so wonderful food. But still worth the experience!
  • I always thought it was at the SanFilippo estate near Chicago.
  • It has long been a part of the theatre organ culture to install these musical wonders in venues billed as "pizza and pipes." There were several in Michigan (including my current home of Grand Rapids) all of which have long since closed. They had a reputation of great entertainment and horrible food.

One of my best friends and colleagues is the current organist at Boardwalk Hall (Atlantic City), and is equally brilliant as both a theatre organist and a classical organist. He's also "artist in residence" at the Catholic cathedral in Philly, doing good work with Dr. John Romeri, a "silent partner" in the reform movement.
  • ryandryand
    I've been to organ stop a couple of times. The pizza's not bad IMO. The organ is freaking cool.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I recently put forth a plan on FaceBook to convert Organ Stop Pizza to a Catholic Basilica. The pizza kitchen is to remain operational.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • To be true to tradition, the kitchen must have a wood burning oven. And if folks don't chant, no wine with their pizza.