Peeters' 60 Short Pieces: Copyright Gurus Help
  • BenBen
    Is Flor Peeters' 60 Short Pieces book out of copyright, and if so, does anyone have a PDF? I've been teaching myself organ, and the organist used it tonight at Mass, and it sounded nice, but not too difficult. I'm always looking for short little things like that which are easy to play.
  • chonakchonak
    It's in print and not very expensive, so you can spend $8.50 printing out the PDF at a copy center (if one exists), or you can spend $15 and get a new copy shipped to you.
  • BenBen
    I like to have things electronically, so a PDF would be nice, even though I'll likely order one eventually.
  • Who published Peeters' output? If it's a French edition, it could well be copyright for ages yet, although since Peeters didn't perish during either world war the French mort pour la patrie copyright extensions (Tournemire, Alain) might not kick in even for French-issued sheet music.

Anyone know anything about Belgian copyright, and how it might differ from French? I myself haven't a clue.

A pity, I guess, for impoverished musicians that Peeters wasn't an Italian or a Spaniard. Italian and Spanish musical administrators seem to regard copyright as a boring Teutonic imposition on their wild untamed creativity.

• dad29
    Peters published most of Peeter's works. His Masses were McL & Reilly, however.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • In this particular case, Peeters' "Sixty Short Pieces" are published by H.W. Gray. Most of his hymn tune settings (0p. 100) and his Gregorian Chant Themes (Op. 68, 69, 70) are published by Peters. Peeters "Elegie", "Suite Modale" and "Toccata, Fugue & Hymn on Ave Maris Stella" are published by LeMoine, Brussels. Regrettably his "Mass to Honor St. Joseph" (Kalmus) "Missa Festiva" (Schott) and "Jubilee Mass" (Peters) are the only remaining masses in publication. Regrettably, the "Missa Laudis in Honor of St. John the Baptist" (McLaughlin & Reilly) has been out of print for over 40 yrs. It is truly one of his greatest mass settings.
    Thanked by 2R J Stove dad29
  • To answer the original question:

Go to Google and search:

Flor Peeters' 60 Short Pieces book copyright

Report attached. Illegal to copy in the USA.
    COPY.pdf
    Thanked by 1Ben