Promotional Efforts
  • What have you found useful? Attached is a flyer I am sending to the Catholic High School...
  • francis
    pretty good, frogman. i put this one out two weeks ago, and twenty people joined the music program.
  • Blaise
    Wow, that illustration of a...tuba?...was fantastic! And excellent paragraph to accompany it.
  • Francis,

EXCELLENT! I will work up one that I hope is a good as yours to try next. Thank you for sharing.
  • frogman the content is excellent but I have trouble reading that font - could you make it less elaborate perhaps?
  • Not sure it's a font; looks like the classical version of "jazz" calligraphic script.
  • It's a font...since this was aimed at High School students, I thought that font would challenge them and make them actally try to read it!
  • it was a challenge . . . .
  • francis
    frog... its a great font! i am with you on the marketing effort of 'non-traditional' advertising. if they can't read the font, just wait till they try to read neumes.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Well, my promotional effort wasn't successful (exactly zero responses since I posted it in late summer around the university where I teach), but I thought the poster itself was pretty nice.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I like the poster, Mark. Just keep putting it up, getting things out there. Lots of times people see an announcement that they can't follow up on right then. Their schedules, other commitments, who knows. However, circumstances change and when they see your announcement 6 months or a year down the line, the time may be right. That's why for a magazine advertisement to have any hopes of effectiveness, the rule of thumb is that the ad needs to appear in at least 3 consecutive issues.

I say this as one with experience in doing lovely posters for my groups that often elicit no response for a year.
  • I suggest that if Mr. McGuire of The Graduate were suggesting one word in this forum it would be Facebook.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Arggggggggggggggghhhh! I'm dealing with Facebook right now as far as my harp career goes - and yes, I know I need to set up something for the schola. And social networking drives me nuts.

End of rant.
  • Never, never, never underestimate the value and power of a free googlegroups group for your choir...for ultra-fast communication when needed. The few people who are not on the net in your schola or choir will get a call with important stuff from friends who are on the group.

http://groups.google.com/
  • This is one of two clipart books I have found useful. The tuba gang came from it:

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Illustrations-CD-ROM-Book-Electronic/dp/0486999815
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Thanks for the encouragement, Mary Jane. :)
  • Gabe SGabe S
    Great picture...it's really an Ophicleide not a tuba....just being a instrument snob ,sorry!
    Gabe
  • Well... you held your tongue for a year and a half. Admirable self-control!