Starting young
  • Which latin hymns would you suggest are simple enough to teach a very young child to sing? Also, what kinds of Catholic hymns do you suggest exposing one's child to when sappy, sacharine music is the only thing available at parish level?
  • Ubi Caritas is a very simple hymn with a message that younger children (5-6 years) can understand. Although Ave Verum Corpus would be easier to sing, the message is a bit more complicated, although it wouldn't be beyond the grasp of most children. I am getting the children into Latin by having them sing French and Spanish folk songs first, such as Au Claire de la Lune, and De Colores.
  • I started my young choir (ages 8-10) with Ave Maria. They already know the Hail Mary, so it's easy for them to relate the words to the meaning.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • I've been singing Adoro te devote with my 16 mo. old, and she can already sing a part of it (on la syllables).
  • You'd be surprised hpw early they can pick up orbis factor and credo I.
  • Kathy
    Kids can learn anything in the Parish Book of Chant, plus introit and Communion antiphons from the Gradual. They will amaze you.
  • tomjaw
    This...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0vgt_ivVH8

The boy singing was 4 years old...

If you play chant recordings they soon pick it up.

Attende Domine is another good choice.
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • jpal
    Our trebles love Salve Regina. Preparing for Christmas, you can also try Puer natus. If necessary have a smaller group or alternating groups sing the verses.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Steve QSteve Q
    The kids in this video are heard singing Attende Domine and Jesu Dulcis Memoria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lrwBQn4Bg0
  • CharlesW
    I have never had difficulty teaching kids anything. Their parents, on the other hand...
  • Steve QSteve Q
    Kids in my choir have also sung Veni Creator Spiritus, Adoro Te Devote, Ave Maria, Pange Lingua, Parce Domine and the Missa Jubilate Deo. Parents have reported that the kids have been heard walking around the house singing these chants.

In terms of Latin "hymns", I would recommend most of the "standards" such as O Salutaris Hostia, Panis Angelicus, Pange Lingua, Tantum Ergo, and Anima Christi. I believe all of these and more are found in the Parish Book of Chant, as Kathy mentioned, as well as in Pope Paul VI's publication of Jubilate Deo (found here).
  • Up with the PBC! It is a brilliant book, with all you need to get going

We have 33 in our Choristers. Newbies sing basics, those with more experience are trained to sing propers. As one big team, they can do it all. The camaraderie, with students helping and teaching other students asap, has been my favorite part to watch.

When other job demands weigh me down, I think of the Choristers, and carry on!
  • Last Sydney Guild of St Stephen conference we taught them all Credo I in one afternoon. In previous conferences they learned the Pater Noster and the Salve Regina Tonus Simplex. They have also learned the chants of mass XVIII.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • charchar
    MaryAnn Carr Wilson, which book is that??? Thanks!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Parish Book of Chant, char
    Thanked by 1char
  • charchar
    Thanks irishtenor! That was so obvious - oops;)
  • I agree that kids are little sponges and take to chant like fish in water. The melodies are simple for them and they are automatically attracted to the rhythm. My kids know many more chants than the adults. Our repertoire at this point includes Ave Maria, Salve Regina, Attende Domine, Jesu Dulcis Memoria, Panis Angelicus, Adoro Te Devote, and Anima Christie and they love every minute of it. Even my school kids who came from praise and worship have taken to the chant. I've found kids pick up on chant much more easily than the adults. It seems adults are so afraid to try anything out of their comfort zone, whereas children are blank slates and crave everything new to learn.