The Life of a Military Spouse is Not Always a Good Life; Need Some Musical Advice.
  • pegwhit
    My husband is in the military and I have been lucky that we have been in one place for 8 years. I have been the full time music director at a Catholic church in Norfolk, Virginia since we moved here and have been living away from my husband for a year (he's in Pensacola). We thought he was going to be coming back to Virginia, but as with the military anything can happen and he's not coming back so I am going to have to move down there for a year. Once that year is done with we'll come back up here. I love my job and when our priest made the announcement at all the Masses this last weekend I was in tears. So this is a tough move for me, but I do have a few questions that can hopefully be answered.

1.) Can anyone recommend a good Catholic church down there? Because I'm down there such a short time I'm not looking for a full time job. I just need a church to attend.

2.) As I've said before I'm only down there a short time so I'm not looking for a job, but I wouldn't mind putting my name in as a substitute. How would I go about doing that?

3.) What qualities would you look for in a music director (This is to fill my job here in Virginia)?
  • Oh! Pensacola! I have good friends who moved to there from San Diego, where they often attended the EF at St. Anne. They found a parish they love in Pensacola. The pastor celebrates both forms, and the choir is looking for people, especially singers who can chant.

The family I mentioned includes one of our best cantors, a girl I trained since she was little. She's 16 now, planning on going to music school... sniffles.

Anyhow, the name of the parish escapes me now, but if you message me I'll get you it and the family's name. They are also military, though Marines.

Prayers for you and your family. Thank you for your service. As a fellow choir director, let me add that our program has been bolstered greatly by a constant flux of eager and delightful service members and their families. In flaky CA their dedication is a great witness. :) All this to say, my encounters with military families make me personally more grateful to God for you all!!

I'll do my best to get to your other questions later. Blessings and prayers for your FL adventure.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    My knowledge of the Catholic music scene in Pensacola or, for that matter, most of Florida is next to nothing, but my prayers are with you with appreciation for your dedication and service. And I'm happy you will have the sage advice of MaryAnn.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • gregpgregp
    Prayers for you and your family. Thank you for your service. As a fellow choir director, let me add that our program has been bolstered greatly by a constant flux of eager and delightful service members and their families. In flaky CA their dedication is a great witness. :) All this to say, my encounters with military families make me personally more grateful to God for you all!!

I'll second that. Being near Monterey (DLI and NPS), we also have a large and constant rotation of military personnel and their families. Several of them have recently gone to Pensacola as well. They all drive about 45 minutes to attend our Mass, so as MACW says, their dedication is a great witness.
  • Yup. Some of the most amazing families I've ever met. Let me say that the Navy wives I've met especially amaze me. And their houses are usually way cleaner than mine, too. :)

I plan on calling my friends sometime today to get the name of the parish. It's bugging me that I can't remember it.
  • I know the closest one to where I'll be living is St. Anne's, but I would be willing to drive 45 minutes for a good church. My husband has a total of 12 years in the military and as of next year he will officially be out. We are looking forward to finally settling down.