Responsorials for Mission & Mass
  • I'm selecting music for a Mission our parish is having on 11/4 and 11/5/13. What is usually done for the Responsorial Psalms for such a Mass? Do I use the ones specified for the Daily Mass Propers or the Sundays before or after? I'm at a total loss for finding music for the Daily Propers.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Are the readings coming from the weekday lectionary?
  • BenBen
    If they are, I can write up some unaccompanied psalms for those two days
  • Adam: Yes, they'll use the readings for the weekday lectionary. My biggest obstacle is finding music for the Responsorials for both days. I've looked everywhere that I know of, without any luck.

Ben: Thanks so much for your offer! We may need an accompaniment because the parishioners aren't accustomed to a capella singing. On the other hand, this just may a good time for them to try it. My cantor is a professional singer and could easily lead them along.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I see. So your issue is not knowing what text to use, but finding music for that text?
  • BenBen
    Other than the lumen christi missal (which is only in print, not online), there's not any resource with complete daily Mass psalms.
  • Yes, Adam. I just can't find any music at all. I've looked @ CMAA and even perused Anglican resources.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    So 11/4 is the Memorial of St. Charles Borromeo (Chuckie B. to his friends, BTW).

Ps 69
    R. (14c) Lord, in your great love, answer me.
    But I am afflicted and in pain;
    let your saving help, O God, protect me.
    I will praise the name of God in song,
    and I will glorify him with thanksgiving.
    R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
    “See, you lowly ones, and be glad;
    you who seek God, may your hearts revive!
    For the LORD hears the poor,
    and his own who are in bonds he spurns not.”
    For God will save Zion
    and rebuild the cities of Judah.
    They shall dwell in the land and own it,
    and the descendants of his servants shall inherit it,
    and those who love his name shall inhabit it.

And 11/5 is:

Ps 131

R. In you, O Lord, I have found my peace.
    O LORD, my heart is not proud,
    nor are my eyes haughty;
    I busy not myself with great things,
    nor with things too sublime for me.
    Nay rather, I have stilled and quieted
    my soul like a weaned child.
    Like a weaned child on its mother’s lap,
    so is my soul within me.
    O Israel, hope in the LORD,
    both now and forever.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I would just use a simple Psalm tone.
    Heck, I'd be tempted to improvise something.
  • Yes...you got it! After looking to no avail, I'm on the same page as you. I'm going to write out a melody for the response and verse and just improvise the harmonies. Oh, the 4th being the memorial for St. Chas. Borromeo...the priest wants to stick with the daily readings. He's blind and somehow memorizes things by listening to audio.
  • BenBen
    Double post...oops.
  • BenBen
    name: Psalms for 11-4-2013 and 11-5-2013;
    user-notes: ;
    commentary: ;
    annotation: ;
    centering-scheme: english;
    %fontsize: 12;
    %spacing: vichi;
    %font: OFLSortsMillGoudy;
    %width: 5;
    %height: 11;
    %%
    (c4)L{ord},(dd) in(c) your(d) great(fg) {love},(g) (,) ans(gh)wer(fe) {me}.(d.) (::Z) (F///G///hr0/////////ixi///h.)(:)(hr0///f///h///g.)(::Z)

user-notes: ;
    commentary: ;
    annotation: ;
    centering-scheme: english;
    %fontsize: 12;
    %spacing: vichi;
    %font: OFLSortsMillGoudy;
    %width: 4.5;
    %height: 13;
    %%
    In(hg) {you},(h) O(j) {Lord},(j_) (,) I(j) have(h) found(gf) my(gh) {peace}.(f.) (::Z) (F///H///jr0////////////k///j.)(:)(jr0/////////h///g///h.)(::Z)
    psalms.pdf
  • CharlesW
    I have had to write psalm antiphons to go with psalm tones for daily events. I have one coming up soon, and it is a psalm antiphon that occurs on no Sunday in the 3-year liturgical cycle. I am not, nor have I ever been, a composer. I have often wished there was a daily psalter with accompaniment, but that would be a herculean task to put one together.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Ben, sometimes I think you're just showing off.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Ben
  • If the Scripture readings used on November 4 are taken from Monday of the 31st Week in Ordinary Time, Year I (Lectionary no. 485), the responsorial psalm refrain used, “Lord, in your great love, answer me” is the same refrain used on the 12th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle A. However, the appointed verses from Psalm 69 differ.

If the Scripture readings used on November 4 are instead taken from the appointed readings for the Memorial of St. Charles Borromeo (Lectionary no. 670), the responsorial psalm refrain is “For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord” paired with verses from Psalm 89. The same refrain is used on the 4th Sunday of Advent B, Christmas Vigil Mass ABC, and the 13th Sunday in Ordinary Time A. However, the appointed verses from Psalm 89 differ.

The good news is that for November 5, the Tuesday of the 31st Week in Ordinary Time, Year I (Lectionary no. 486), the responsorial psalm refrain “In you, O Lord, I have found my peace” is also used for the 31st Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A, and the appointed verses from Psalm 131 are exactly the same for both. So, in this case, the exact responsorial psalm for November 5 can be found in the many music collections of Sunday Responsorial Psalms available from different publishers and sources.

(Not to confuse matters, but if the priest celebrant chooses a Votive Mass or one of the "Masses for Various Needs and Occasions" for November 5, the options are many! Since the Original Poster mentioned that these Masses were occurring during a Parish Mission, that may be a possibility!)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, advice and even the wonderful composition. As it turned out, the readings were from Monday in the 31st week, O.T. I wrote an "Anglicanized" Chant for the Responsorial and verse. Surprisingly enough, the congregation sang it very well and with a bit of gusto. Something I'm not accustomed to in a Catholic Parish.