A World Shattered
  • Scott_WScott_W
    At the blog, "What's Wrong with the World", guest poster Sage McLaughlin wrote an entry on the connection between Nihilism, art, and ritual. A sample:

The spiritual crisis engulfing the West entails not only revisionist academics’ skepticism concerning the Resurrection as an historical fact, or of the doctrine of the Trinity. So decadent and thoroughgoing is the skepticism of modern man that a willful embrace of ugliness, a worship of personal power for its own sake, and an unrestrained exaltation of the self are the most obvious features of our culture and our public life. A rejection of form as such is implicated here. There is a calamitous discordancy in all our public rituals. Our national anthem is seldom performed with reverence and beauty, being reduced to wild and extravagant displays of “range” on the part of the performer. The confused Novus Ordo Catholic liturgy celebrated in virtually every contemporary parish lurches from the sudden, crashing onset of noise, to awkward silence, is afflicted by incessant contradiction in the movement of the unconsecrated to and from the altar, and suffers from a near-complete absence of coherent form that is the necessary picture frame of ritual. Disorientation is our preferred orientation...

The rest here: http://www.whatswrongwiththeworld.net/2013/10/a_world_shattered.html

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yup.
  • CharlesW
    Been there, seen that.
  • Liam
    Blah blah blah.

The same aesthetic "disorientation" of form decried in cinema, for example, was influential in other supernally beautiful works that we might forget like Dreyer's "La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc".

How beautiful were the forms that preceded World War I if World War I flowed from them?

Et cet.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    At the end, I could identify with her realization of this when considering the new stadium of the Atlanta Falcons. The last big area sporting event I attended was the Buffalo Bills last year. Between every down they blasted the crowd's ears with rock music for the 30-odd seconds between the end of the play to the moment the players lined up for the next one. It didn't let up for a moment and my mind reeled in agitation and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Thankfully, it's not loud at my NO parish, but any empty space is accidental--someone simply neglected to program incidental crappy music, putting many souls at risk of contemplation.
  • We won't be fooled again! said the dwarfs.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • Liam
    As a very very tangential aside, I would share an observation about the design of new restaurants in the hot dining scene of booming Boston. They are designed to be LOUD (so loud that the servers can make errors in taking orders). The owners, it seems, do not want middle-aged people who want quiet ambience for conversation (even though some of them might drop a load on pricey wines); they want to attract younger people who will buy higher-margin cocktails but spend less time conversing and more time looking at their smartphones.

Then again, I remember as a historian, the era of quiet fine dining restaurants was itself a transitory phenomenon.
  • Time to renew your membership at the HFC, Liam.
  • Liam
    Funny, I never joined. Coming as I did entirely through public educational institutions from kindergarten (my parents had to get the pastor's dispensation; our public schools were waaaaaay better than the parochial schools) through college until thereafter attending that bank otherwise known as Harvard was how much easier it was to understand Harvard if you first understood it was a bank that happened to have an educational mission. My class in law school invented the NOPE (Not One Penny, Ever) reaction to Beirut-on-The-Charles....
  • CharlesW
    Quiet is becoming hard to find. As a lifelong exercise junkie, I am familiar with gyms. I have given up on them and bought my own equipment to use at home. Why? I couldn't stand the constant noise. It seems that rock music is played at high volumes at every gym. Maybe it is supposed to be motivational. It motivated me right out the door.

Now about that local folk group that does the "contemporary" mass. Those folks are all in their 50+ years by now, and there is nothing contemporary about them. But they surely do love amplification. Maybe the exposure to that music over the years has damaged their hearing. Some have not realized that music performed badly sounds even worse when amplified.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Some have not realized that music performed badly sounds even worse when amplified.

Well, since it's entertainment anyway, I suppose the wireless mics make for amusing Naked Gun moments:

• He's obviously never been to an Ordinary Form Mass where they sang chant and traditional hymns. Where I am involved, there is a combination of chants from the GR, GS, SEP, BFW, a wide variety of hymns of various styles, sacred polyphony as well as simpler harmonised settings of various texts, and our motets whilst primarily in Latin, are also often found in English, French and German. (We've sung a few Bach Chorales in recent times.)

If you turn up to the average suburban parish, you're likely to find an unrelenting program of St Louis Jesuits, played poorly on guitars, sung out of tune and quite often all put together by clergy who have little to now understanding of liturgy.
  • chonakchonak
    Is that the situation Down Under, hartleymartin? Sorry to hear it.

Guitar music and SLJ aren't as dominant here as they were in the 1980s. Not that the songs that replaced SLJ are better. A suburban Mass here (around Boston) has two classic hymns (perhaps with the texts modified) and two rather sentimental contemporary songs, accompanied in a pedestrian manner on the organ-ersatz.

However, the little-to-no understanding of liturgy is the same here.
  • ronkrisman
    Re the first line of the quoted blog passage: The Church does not teach and has never taught that the Resurrection of Jesus Christ is "an historical fact," because if it were, then there would be no need whatsoever for the gift of faith.

The four Gospels present the empty tomb as fact, but such can be (and was in Apostolic times) dismissed by the unbeliever with a simple: "Someone stole the body."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What?

This seems to be a severe and unhelpful deconstruction of the meaning of "fact."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Jesus rose from the dead, in a physical body.
    This is a fact.

Jesus did not rise from the dead.
    This is also a fact.

Only one of those is a true fact.

The Church cannot issue a teaching on whether one or the other is a fact- the Church not being the final arbiter on the use of language and meaning.

But the Church definitely teaches which one of those facts is, actually, a true statement.

My belief in the truthiness of one or the other is informed by my faith.
    But the actuality of the matter - the truth itself - is not in any way shaped by my belief.

(It theoretically could be shaped by my personal knowledge, but I did not get a chance to observe the resurrection directly and, moreover, the human scale of the physical body of Jesus most likely precludes quantum effects.)
  • ronkrisman
    Wow, Adam, please go back and read the CCC. Then we can have a discussion, if you wish.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Are you trying to suggest that the Catholic Church does not teach that the physical Resurrection of Christ is a true, factual, actual thing that really, actually happened?
  • BenBen
    If you're telling adam to read the CCC, please tell us which paragraphs we need to focus on, because your post made absolutely no sense....
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    (Thanks Ben. It's been at least 10 years since I read the CCC for more than a minute of reference material. I remember being surprised at how "liberal" [in the classical sense of that word] Church teaching actually was compared to caricatures of fundamentalism rampant in anti-Catholic media. A great number of things surprised me, so I feel like I would remember being surprised by anything remotely like what Fr. RK is suggesting. But maybe I am grossly misunderstanding what he's getting it.)
  • chonakchonak
    CCC 639:
    The mystery of Christ's resurrection is a real event, with manifestations that were historically verified
  • chonakchonak
    I wasn't sure what part of the writer's expression Fr. was disputing: "historical", or "fact", or what. Of course the Resurrection is something we believe by the divine virtue of faith, and not on the basis of unaided reason (historical methods) alone.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    Given the number of witnesses who saw Jesus after his death, it seems credible historically. After all, there are many other things historians willingly believe with far less eye-witness testimony. What do the skeptics want? There were no smartphones with cameras back then.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • matthewjmatthewj
    IF ONLY THERE WERE!

Think about what Jesus did with wine - instantly made the best wine.

If Jesus were to make a Smartphone it would never run out of battery-life, would never need to be updated, would always have a signal, and would definitely be a DROID.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • melofluentmelofluent

Think about what Jesus did with wine - instantly made the best wine.

Huh? What?
    Just keeping up appearances, RC.
  • ronkrisman
    Adam and Ben,

Here's another pertinent resource, an address of Blessed John Paul II:
    http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/audiences/alpha/data/aud19890301en.html

Sorry, Adam, but "physical" "true" "factual" and "actual" are not synonymous. The Resurrection of Christ is true, but as a statement of faith, not as historically provable fact.

The only factual evidence I know of which contributes to my belief in the Resurrection is the empty tomb. (My daily personal experience of my Risen Savior cannot be verified as demonstrable fact. Some may say that I - along with other believers who make similar claims to having experienced the Risen Christ - are simply delusional, as are the NT writers, for that matter.) There were no eyewitnesses to the Resurrection of Christ, no photos taken. In that sense, it is not an historically verified and verifiable "fact."

I am aware that some scholars argue that there are more historical facts for the resurrection of Christ than the empty tomb. I admit that I have not kept abreast of writings in this vain, but I do not think that whether or not there are more such historical facts impacts positively or negatively on my firm belief in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Finally, I do not believe in the Resurrection of Christ simply because NT writers held that belief. Without my personal relationship with Christ, the witness of NT writers would not be sufficient to preserve me in my belief.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Jesus rose from the dead, in a physical body.
    This is a fact.

Jesus did not rise from the dead.
    This is also a fact.

Only one of those is a true fact.

Adam, one of the two assertions is a fact the other is a falsehood. You apparently have not taken the definition of "fact" (from Latin factum) as something that truly exists or happens. Thus to assert that one of them is a true fact is simply the sort of issue one expects from the Department of Redundancy department.

Methinks that you wrote down two statements ... one true, one false. Therefore, your last statement should have been, "Only one of these statements is true." And the statements "This is a fact" and "This is also a fact" should be omitted (well one of them should be).
  • Catholic faith doesn't bind Catholic historians to accept the historical evidence for the Resurrection (which is surely not entirely lacking) as sufficient according to their canons of historical inference : in that respect, the Resurrection is not historical. Also (as Bl. John Paul II states per the above) the meaning and the consequences of the Resurrection are not purely historical either -- they are more, there is a wider dimension that the historical.

But what worries me about saying "it is not a fact", "is it not historical" is that this leaves open the implication that resurrection is some kind of myth, pious and helpful story, traditional tale, private consolation, etc. The only point of saying it is not "historical" is to say, it's more than just history, more than an event which inspires us, it's the Fact that confirms the meaning of all other facts.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    CHG - there are, of course, different definitions of "fact."
    I was taught (perhaps wrongly... it was a public school) that a "fact" was a statement that could (at least in theory) be verified as true or false. As opposed to an opinion.

In that usage, the resurrection (or lack of it) is a fact because one could imagine a scenario where it is provable (building a time machine or a Chronoviewer). (As opposed to "strawberries are delicious," which is true, but not verifiably so.)

But this is hardly the point, and I concede any fault anyone finds with how I phrased my post above.

But my basic point stands...

The "empty tomb" is approximately as "historical" as the physical resurrection. There is no verifiable historical evidence, in the secular academic sense, for either one.

Nevertheless, the Resurrection either DID or DID NOT happen. Belief and/or knowledge in that is a matter of faith, not scientifically verifiable evidence, but the ACTUALITY of the thing- its historical factitude - is either true or false. Just as surely as God exists, whether or not I believe Him to.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I was taught (perhaps wrongly... it was a public school) that a "fact" was a statement that could (at least in theory) be verified as true or false. As opposed to an opinion.

Alas, I was taught something entirely different, in a public school. And I checked definitions before I posted to see if I might have been in error. Sorry if you disagree with me and what I take to be the prevailing viewpoint on the definition of "fact."
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • WJA
    It seems "historical" is being used in a highly technical sense that is very different from the common sense of the term, which is, "Something that actually happened before right now." If you want to make the point that events like the incarnation and resurrection occurred outside of time, in eternity, without making it sound like it's all a bunch of pious nonsense, why not say, "The Resurrection is not merely historical in the common sense of the word "historical"?
  • I learned the same that Adam did re: the difference between fact and opinion.

The "empty tomb" is approximately as "historical" as the physical resurrection. There is no verifiable historical evidence, in the secular academic sense, for either one.

This. Exactly this. The only accounts we have of the empty tomb come from exactly the same sources that witness Jesus, alive, after his crucifixion. Why one is dismissible and the other isn't?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Alas, I was taught something entirely different, in a public school. And I checked definitions before I posted to see if I might have been in error. Sorry if you disagree with me and what I take to be the prevailing viewpoint on the definition of "fact."

Oh, I have no vested interest in my word usage there.

I do think its good to have a word that means what I was taught "fact" means, and which could be either true or false. But perhaps "proposition" is a better one.

Either way- that is a sidetrack.

Modern and post-modern academia have badly bolloxed up our sense of ideas like "historical." So you have Biblical scholars talking about the ahistorical nature of the Exodus (in that, there is no scientific, academically verifiable evidence of it having occured) and then sneakily switching back to the more typical use of "history" to suggest that "we don't know whether something happened or not" is somehow equivalent to "it didn't really happen."

This is a game invented by secular atheists. For believers, it is a strange game: the only winning move is not to play.
  • Liam
    It should just be noted that the game is not *entirely* a manipulative game. It's something of a tool we ourselves use to determine what is factual in what ancient writers presented as if it were factual; our modern understandings of history are not how ancient writers tended to understand history.

The gravamen of your complaint is more that modern history is materialist in metaphysics and skeptical in its epistemology: it says it cannot affirm the factualness of supernatural events. You are right to call out the illogical three-card-monty game of turning an inability to affirm into a denial. But, other than that, I welcome the epistemological humility of the modern historical method, properly done, which many do. (I have to say that religious studies, however, is an area where it is often NOT properly done. Yes, I am looking at you, Elaine Pagels, among others....)

Thanked by 1ronkrisman
  • melofluentmelofluent
    i'm no scripture scholar, nor do I play one on TV, but doesn't Paul's I Cor 15:14 supercede the point of this debate? (For Adam I include the DR version)
    Douay-Rheims Bible
    And if Christ be not risen again, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    (For Adam I include the DR version)

How'd you know?
  • "For those who do not believe no explanation is possible....for those who do believe, no explanation is necessary".......blind faith, folks.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    How'd you know?

Because I'm me.;-)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    I read the point made earlier, that the eyewitness accounts are from the same source, namely scripture. True. But given the times, what did the eyewitnesses and gospel writers have to gain by being truthful? Christianity was not exactly the road to fame and riches. It was more often than not, a death sentence. If those writers had wanted to protect their lives and property, they would have sensibly kept their mouths shut. I am not convinced they had anything to gain by retelling this event.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • Liam
    There are things about the modern historical method that can improve upon more customary historical methods.

For example, paying attention to the the first witnesses to the empty tomb being women, and how that would likely have been received by audiences contemporary to the first oral tradition and then how that bears on credibility for audiences in the future.