Guest organist/cantor
  • canadashcanadash
    I have been asked to help cantor or play the organ at funerals in a neighbouring parish. Tonight I met with the "music director." She mentioned what is normally sung at funerals. The one issue I had was the psalm. They use psalms from Gather, definitely not approved text. If you are a guest musician at another parish, hired for the occasional funeral, do you bother to say anything about such matters, or do you just go along with what is prescribed. Most of what they do is not what we do, but it was the psalm that really bothered me.
  • CharlesW
    Take the money and run! Your point is valid on the psalms, but the likelihood of changing the practices of another parish seem slim. YMMV.
    Thanked by 2canadash Jani
  • Steve QSteve Q
    I hate to think of myself as a mercenary, but I pretty much do as Charles suggests. I often cantor at funerals at one parish that does sacropop songs in place of the Psalms and uses a Song of Farewell set to the tune of "Danny Boy". I'm so ashamed...
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • CharlesW
    Don't be ashamed, it's business. When you are not in charge, you can't make changes to someone else's music program.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • chonakchonak
    Yeah, it's a matter of accepting what is part of my job description and what is not.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    So do you charge more when it is against your better judgment? ;)
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • CharlesW
    Tempting thought. LOL. Generally, I charge the same. That doesn't mean you have to.
  • Jani
    Nothing saying you can't offer some helpful suggestions......:-)
    Thanked by 2canadash chonak
  • Whenever I have occasion to play at someone else's church I ascertain what hymnal is used there, what the hymns are, and what other music will be used. If it isn't music that I can conscientiously perform with a straight face (and the fee is not reasonably close to my standard stipend), I do not go there. Most people just know what I will and won't do. This doesn't mean that I don't or never have performed music that I didn't like (I have, many times), but each of us needs to have a threshold of musical and artistic integrity. Too, there really is a difference between what one doesn't like, and what is reprehensible, i.e., I don't especially like Vivaldi, but I would enjoy performing him just the same - something that is truly reprehensible, though, one should not think of doing. Doing reprehensible music is musical prostitution. So is consenting to perform texts that are liturgically illicit.

Participating in bad music and texts that are forbidden is being an accomplice to the bad liturgical praxis that we all know needs to be a thing of the past, it is to perpetuate illicit liturgical praxis for a fee.

Let every aspect of your musical ministry be marked and famed for your finest performance regimen, the integrity of the music you perform and the professionalism and artistry with which you perform it. Don't agree to participate in something that is compromising of your professional and artistic integrity. The Word is Integrity! The Other Word is Honour!
  • chonakchonak
    Well, the last time I committed "musical prostitution", to use MJO's term, I learned the music selections on arrival at the funeral, and somehow I didn't think that walking out because of the music director's bad choice of "psalm" would have been helpful to the family.
    Thanked by 2canadash Adam Wood
  • That is why it is important to ascertain the musical selections before agreeing to offer one's services, and if what has been ascertained is not anywhere near decent, one does not commit. So, there is no 'walking out' to be done: it doesn't get that far.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • CharlesW
    Granted, if I know that something is beyond what I am comfortable with, I won't do it. I wouldn't turn it down because the other church has a hymnal that uses psalm paraphrases. I don't like them, but they are legal if they come from an approved hymnal. I have turned down events where they wanted me to play on beagle's wings. That goes beyond dislike.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Canadash,

What the specific psalm they are wanting for the funeral?

My parish was much like what you were describing in your first post. When I arrived, my hands were tied as music director. I had a pastor who was stuck in his old school ways, wanted no musical changes, even though it was all wrong liturgically. They always used paraphrased haas and haugen psalms constantly even for weekend liturgies!! They also would use this is the day paraphrased psalm in place of give thanks to The Lord for he is good on the second Sunday. They were doing what was convenient for them and not being liturgical! It was driving me crazy. Anytime id make a change it would be a process of choir members complaining and then the pastor calling and saying "why are you changing this/that?"

With the arrival of the new pastor, I finally got what I needed for making all these changes! His first comment to me was "I fully 100% support your music selections for all liturgies taking place. Secondly, we pay YOU and only YOU to be music director!!" It has been a lively place and I've enjoyed my last two and a half years there!!
  • I'm still there as well and not looking to leave for a while since I have pastoral support. Something that is rarely given to beginning music directors in their later 20's!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • The fact remains that you are a hired employee of another parish and, if you'd like another gig there, I suggest you keep quiet, take the money, and run.

And musicman, praise God for your new pastor. It's extremely difficult to work in an environment where everybody in the parish feels they have carte blanche to put in their two cents. If your name is on the check, then YOU and only YOU make the selection decisions for the masses. If the priest has a problem with it, let HIM come to you and talk it over.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Usually when I've been asked to sing questionable Psalms, I tell the Music Director that I find those verses difficult to sing (that one note is kinda high and held long, or that interval is kinda whacky) and ask if it's okay if we sing that Psalm refrain and I chant the verses. I've never been told no.
    Thanked by 2Gavin canadash
  • Thank You musicteacher56, with my pastor's support I have the old pipe organ in the loft being used after 15 years of silence. I have been able to get the choir back into the loft singing and using the pipe organ in the loft on a weekly basis now! This is all in part of the new pastor coming along and supporting me! :-) The old pastor had the idea "the choir loft is far away and their not part of the congregation if their all the way in the loft and the choir loft is odd, archaic and people can fool around up there mentality!"
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This whole thread is exhausting.
    CDash's senario is a "Silent Night Situo" (patent pending on that, don't rip me off.) No need to get all pedantic. If the organ or psalm don't work, get out the guitar.
    Quotations, citations and ascertainments don't get the job done.
    Imagine- you're in Rome and when in Rome the new pope finds you among the crowd (you're wearing the cheezy scarf with clefs, notes and accidentals), walks up to you and asks you to accompany the music for a Mass he's going to celebrate in an hour. When in Rome, you exclaim "Yes, Holiness, my honor!" He opens the door of his ancient Renault for you, you get in, and off to the youth prison you both go. On the way he mentions "Oh, dear friend, there's no organ or piano there, but I have secured a serviceable guitar for you, would that be okay?" Now, really, how would you respond?
    Sometimes we have to get over ourselves. Our salvation and integrity is not always at stake.
  • CharlesW
    I don't play guitar. Would HH Francis settle for a badly played ukulele? I also play a wicked kazoo. ;-)

Great job, musicman923. I remember when you were trying to get the pipe organ back into service.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Would HH Francis settle for a badly played ukulele?

That would depend upon what the definition of "settle" would mean in context of this pedantic hypothetical!
  • CharlesW
    "Settle" can mean many things depending on the context. It can mean to resolve a question or dispute, reach an agreement, adopt a more steady style of life, or move west and relocate among the heathen tribes in a pagan land.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Thanks all! I think this has been a good discussion. Of course, everyone will have their own way of approaching this situation. You asked what they suggested for the psalms? One I remember is Haugen's "Shepherd Me O God," for example. She mentioned a Joe Wise tune as a favourite. I haven't heard that name in a while.

I think it may be a good thing to develop a relationship before mentioning concerns, or else choose not to play or sing at all. I will cantor or play for a while and see what happens.
  • One of my most embarrassing memories, pre liturgical-music-awakening, is of singing Shepherd Me as the responsorial psalm at Mass, self-accompanied on the piano.

It's a lovely song, though, so if you do sing it, enjoy.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    [asked by the Pope to play guitar] Now, really, how would you respond?

That's easy. If I actually played guitar though, my escape would be less graceful.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW canadash
  • CharlesW
    Wonder if an old solution would work with the Pope? I was attending a high-level, but boring meeting at a university. I looked at several people at my table, and said, "are you as miserable as I am?" They agreed that they were and wished they had stayed home. Over the span of a few minutes, each of us excused ourselves and met outside the dining room. We walked into the kitchen and asked, "Is there a back way out of here?" A kindly cook helped us find a back door and we all left. I have often felt obligated to show up at functions, but I have never felt obligated to stay.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo canadash
  • matthewjmatthewj
    "I'm sorry, Your Holiness, I don't have the slightest clue how to play the guitar. It is far beyond my simple, humble, and basic musical knowledge. However, I'd be happy to sing the propers a capella here at the prison..."
    Thanked by 2CharlesW canadash
  • melofluentmelofluent
    As if.
    Then don't wear that scarf next time you're in Piazza Petra.
    I'm not an organist nor decent keyboardist, but I wouldn't have the stones (pardon pun) to say "No, thanks." to the HF. I'd do m' best.
    Mat-tieux, you're a holier man about town than I, but you knew that already.
  • CharlesW
    If Pope Francis ever asks me to play guitar - an impossibility in the first place - that will be when I give Orthodoxy a closer look. LOL.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    O ye of little faith.;-)
  • chonakchonak
    "Sorry, Holy Father, this guitar has a broken string; would it be all right if we can sing unaccompanied?"

(Another reason to always carry nail clippers with you.)
  • Never say never. As a humble classical guitar player, I enjoy playing and singing “Stille Nacht” at midnight mass on Christmas Eve.
  • Choirparts--I do not advocate guitars in church, but I would bet that your playing is gorgeous on Christmas Eve. God bless to you.
    Thanked by 1Choirparts
  • WendiWendi
    For that song, on that occasion, I would prefer a guitar be played.
    Thanked by 1Choirparts
  • I probably wouldn't appreciate it if an invited guest came into my house and began to dispute my selections (be it the wine, the cheese, or the liturgical music), so as a good guest, I would extend the same courtesy to those who invite me, lest I become the un-invited guest.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood canadash
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I always ask my dinner party guests before they come whether they have any allergies or extreme dislikes. I usually get quite a few interesting answers, and always accommodate any of their allergies or dislikes 100%. Except once..

At my last dinner party thrown for CMAA members, one had the boldness to tell me he "dabbled in gluten free." Not that he eats a gluten free diet. Not that he is beginning gluten free. But that he DABBLES in it.

I filled that meal with so much gluten.
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen