Advent Magnificat
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I am preparing for an Advent Novena. It is not a vepsers service, but rather 9-evening devotional service incorporating various elements from the liturgy of the hours, scripture, hymns etc. I did want to include the singing of the Magnificat with the O Antiphons, so I am looking for a choral setting (men's voices) that can be sung in alternatum with the chant tone. Something like this:
    would be ideal, but in mode IId to match the Antiphons.
  • Here are quick scans of the Palestrina settings for four voices, both the odd verse set and the even verse set. You will need a countertenor, along with two tenors and a bass. These are taken from the old Belwin Mills complete works, volume 41 (which are out of print, as far as I can tell). Your antiphons will need to start on F.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Earl_Grey
  • BenBen
    One schola I sing in uses the grassi setting. I like it a lot. It uses mode 8.

Though I've used a different edition when I sing, there is a version in pg 103 of the secunda anthologia Vocalis PDF. I believe musicasacra has the PDF somewhere.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Francesco Soriano Magnificat Secundi Toni (alternatim setting, odd numbered verses) in an excellent edition by James Gibb at CPDL is quite nice. It's an SATB setting in F; however, if the Soprano part is transposed down an octave as a Baritone part, it becomes a very serviceable ATBB setting (and the Alto part is not at all high as a Tenor 1 part).

Also nice, but not appropriate for men's voices, are the Victoria settings: 5-part (SAATB) Magnificat Secundi Toni (odd verses) and 7-part (SSAATB) Magnificat Secundi Toni (even verses)

Thanked by 1Earl_Grey