Ear Training Software
  • JahazaJahaza
    Can anyone recommend good ear training software for PC (not Mac)?

My goals include improving my sight singing skills and being able to give pitches to a choir from a tuning fork rather than a pitch pipe (actual or digital).

I'm OK with paying for something. If it's a question between OK and free and good and costs money I'll go with the latter.

Thanks.
  • BenBen
    Have an android device? I've found some free ones in the android store that help with intervals, perfect pitch, and lots of other things.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Ah, good question.

Sadly, all I've got is a Blackberry, for which availability of apps is terrible.

An iPhone or Android device are in the future when my contract is up, but I'm looking for software for my PC laptop at this point.
  • BenBen
    I've also heard from a colleague that http://www.singandsee.com is a good resource, though I haven't tried it yet.
  • CharlesW
    Free
    http://www.good-ear.com/index.html

Also free
    http://classic.musictheory.net/90

Both may be too simple for you, I can't know that.
  • chonakchonak
    I liked Auralia (from the makers of Sibelius).
  • I second Auralia.
  • Chonak and ClemensRomanus, have you guys used those in training or teaching your choirs??? I am very curious about those products. I know they also have a music theory one, would you know if that is equally good?

• I used it back in college, but solely for individual practice.
  • Do you believe it could be beneficial or useful in a choir setting?

We have finally started to pick up some new choir members, and no one aside from the cantors, can read music and sight sing. I am hoping to find some resources similiar perhaps to that product, that might help in their formation.
  • As I recall, it's geared more towards individual study, but if you have dedicated members willing to put in a few minutes a day, it would definitely improve their abilities.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Regular use of solfege in rehearsal will do a lot more than at-home software use.
  • I agree with Adam. The software is supplemental only, and shouldn't replace ear-training during rehearsal.
  • I agree with both of you. I am just trying to look for something a little more comprehesive so that they can go home and study, to help bring them up to speed quicker.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Auralia seems to be the standard.

I have long wanted to create my own....
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I too agree about singing as a better way to learn intervals than hearing-imitating.

I've been working in spare time on a progressive series of sight reading exercises, where intervals are introduced slowly, and rhythms, and other things like key signatures and solfege syllables versus note names versus scales steps.

A few pages posted here; free for use. Let me know if it seems helpful, maybe I can push along the process a bit faster. It's both difficult and a little boring to write: trying to keep things nicely progressive and not go too fast or too slow.

This is way pre-publication, so no proofreading done yet, certainly will be errors ...

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Page not found. Sad.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    try again .
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Don't do MacGamut, whatever you do. We had that in college and it was awful. I learned nothing from it, instead doing my ear training with a piano.
  • Also check out sightreadingfactory.com It's great for learning how to sight sing and is affordable. It's easy to use and has audio playback, too.