Request For Recommendations for Simple Advent Choral and Chant Music
  • francis
    I am choosing music out for Advent. We have almost nothing except trite music in the existing choral library and need to program good pieces for the choir and newly formed schola.

What particular PD (preferably printable from the internet) pieces do you all suggest for both an SATB choir and a newly organized Schola (12 have volunteered to sing in a schola in the last two weeks!)
  • GavinGavin
    There should be an Advent category on CPDL. Anything on there is good.
  • Fourth Sunday- DIXIT MARIA (Hassler)
    Surefire, can't miss.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Francis,

I just E-mailed you the greatest SATB Advent piece of all time, by Jacobus Handl-Gallus
  • francis
    thnx all! i have been looking for an advent category on cpdl, but can't seem to find it?! :(
  • francis
    gavin.

doesn't seem to be an advent category. it would be great to be able to browse pieces by level of difficulty, liturgical season, and instrumentation.

looking through by proper titles instead. there is no easy way to browse quickly.
  • francis
    charles... dixit is certainly beautiful, but would be too much for this choir. love the piece, though! will have to put a quartet together for that one. thnx, jeffrey for the music!
  • GavinGavin
    http://www.choralwiki.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Advent

Someone please gloat for me, as I'm exhausted from a long day.
  • francis
    thnx gavin. how does one navigate to that page?! In other words, what did you click to get there?
  • Hugh
    This doesn't seem to be on CPDL: Tye's Rorate Caeli

I've put a pdf and an mp3 of our choir at our 2006 Advent Carol Service up on my site. It's very easy and instantly appealing.

(Also sung to the lyrics "Laudate Nomen Domini" at other times of the year, so very handy piece.)

http://www.fidelitybooks.com.au/Hugh/

(2nd piece from the top)

I might put up something more tomorrow if I get the time.

Cheers,

Hugh Henry (Melb. Australia)
  • francis
    very cool, hugh. thnx. (i LOVE this forum)
  • soli
    Thank you, Hugh - it's so beautiful and yet simple enough for our schola. I'm hoping... for the first Sunday of Advent. May God bless you for sharing this. You sang it beautifully.
  • Jan
    Thanks for sharing your 'music stash' with us. The mp3 files were very good. Is that your schola (choir)? They are quite good!
  • mjballoumjballou
    Just taken a peek at Hugh's contribution - and what do I find but the Slavonic "Under thy Compassion" with the Latin version of that ancient text.

And of course, lots of other nifty pieces that make me long for a few good men. Thanks, Hugh! And I love this forum as well.
  • G
    Wow.
    Thank you, Hugh!

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)

(Alas, too late to save my sanity....)
  • Hugh
    Thanks for kind comments, everyone.

1.Another Advent piece: Veni Emanuel (as discovered by Dr Mary Berry in the Bib. Nat., Paris). Our recording is from v. 3.

http://www.fidelitybooks.com.au/Hugh/ near the top of the page. (Jeff, if you're here, apologies in delay on this - take & use if it's OK.)

2. [Not Advent] On the Christus Rex Pilgrimage Musis page (near bottom of page, in red), our version of 'Gloria Laus' we sing process round Sacred Heart Cathedral, Bendigo on the final day, prior to Mass of Christ the King (this Sunday Week, EF). (Antiphon and v. 1 only to give newbies a guide.]. Please come down and join us all one year.

http://www.fidelitybooks.com.au/Hugh/Christus%20Rex%20Music2007.htm

3. Will aim to post another Advent piece after Pilgrimage - about 3 weeks time.

God bless - please post re. any corrections/failed links etc.

Hugh Henry
    Melbourne Australia

hugh at webone dot com dot au
  • Beth
    Hugh, I'm wondering if I might contact you vial email for a question regarding and MP3 file
    lisbethn7@yahoo.com
  • Byrd “Lord, Make Me to Know Thy Ways”
    Anerio “Ave maris stella” (alternatim with the chant; write me for a copy, or GIA publishes it as a work of Victoria)
    Batten “Deliver Us, O Lord”

...and if you’re a bit more adventuresome, try the Victoria “Conditor alme siderum”. Write me for a version with English text, if you want....and be mindful that we are now supposed to use the Liber Hymnarius’s version, which changes the 5th note of the melody a step up from how....well, how I, at least, learned it.