Help find Stablein's hymn melody in "Analecta Hymnica Medii Aevi".
  • It was helpful several months ago when someone found a hymn melody for me from the book series "Analecta Hymnica Medii Aevi".

Could anyone provide me with another melody from it once more?

This time the melody I search for matches the hymn text "Fratres unanimes federe nexili".
    This appears to be a Matins hymn for St. Martin of Tours. It is Ascribed to Hrabanus Maurus (d. 856).
    The meter is not one I've encountered before, it is described as "first Asclepiadeic stanza, consisting of four asclepiadei minores".

"Hymns of the Anglo-Saxon Church" says that the hymn melody is listed as "Stäblein no. 70.
    According to Stäblein (p. 521) this melody is Cistercian, which is disproved by its occurence here half a century earlier."

Having access to the melody will allow not only allow the pleasure of singing the latin words, but facilitate the creation of "English" text in matching metre.

I know Dr. Mahrt probably has access to this book . It is commonly found in university libraries that focus on liberal arts/music. The book is a standard reference for divine office hymns from middle ages and catalogues all known melodies of that period.

TEXT:
    1. Fratres unanimes federe nexili,
    mecum participes luminis annui,
    quo solis hodie fulminat orbita
    Martini revehens festa celebria,

2. Cantemus pariter carmen amabile
    Martini meritis oppido nobili.
    Clerus cum populis consonet organo.
    Grandi nam volupe est psallere gaudio,

3. Martinus quoniam vota fidelia
    accendit tribuens cuncta salubria.
    Confert hic famulis rite canentibus
    stellis aureola serta micantibus.

4. Cunctis candelabrum luminis extitit,
    a multis tenebris mortis & expulit.
    Virtutum statuit crescere germina,
    in quorum herant pectore crimina.

5. His nos subsidiis undique prediti
    pangamus proprio cantica presuli.
    Laudemus parili voce, quod approbat,
    dampnemus vigili mente, quod improbat.

6. Martinum precibus gens modo Gallica
    dignis sollicitet nostraque Anglia.
    Martinus faciat tempora prospera.
    Mundi, Christe, salus, O, tibi gratia.
    Amen.

LITERAL TRANSLATION:
    1. Brothers united in spirit with a tightly knit bond, who share with
    me each year that light with which the sun in its course sparkles
    today as it brings to us again the renowned feast of Martin,

2. let us sing together a delightful and very glorious song on the merits
    of Martin. Let the clergy sing in harmony together with the people,
    for it pleases us to sing with great joy,

3. since Martin inspires faithful prayer by granting everything good for
    us. On his servants who sing fittingly he bestows lovely golden
    wreaths with gleaming stars.

4. He was a candle-stick shining with light to everyone and he drew
    them often from the shadows of death. He caused seedlings of virtue
    to sprout in those in whose breast there had been iniquity.

5. Because we are given this assistance at every point, let us sing our
    songs to our bishop. Let us praise with one voice what he approves
    of, let us condemn with vigilant attention what he disapproves of.

6. Let the French people and our England now urge Martin with fitting
    prayers. May Martin make our times prosperous. Thanks be to you,
    O salvation of the world, Christ.

Thanked by 1Chrism
  • This is on pp. 187-88 of Vol. XII of the Analecta Hymnica. However, the Analecta Hymnica contains strictly texts, no melodies. Sorry. Normally for the melodies you have to go to manuscript antiphoners held in European monasteries and the like. Here are the references given for this hymn, in case they will help:

Antip. ms. Sanctense s. n. saec. 13. A. -- Brev. ms. Tullense saec. 15. Privatbesitz). B. -- Brev. Lincense Cc II 17. saec. 14. D. -- Brev. ms. Sanemmeramense saec. 15. Clm. Monacen. 14638. R. -- Brev. Trajectense imp. Coloniae 1517. F. -- Brev. Maguntinum imp. Lugduni 1507. G. -- Dies Lied steht allerdings bei Daniel IV, 281, aber ohne jede Quellenangabe, so dafs es der Mühe wert scheint, es nach älteren Quellen zu wiederholen. -- 1, 3 fulgurat orbita D. -- 2, 3 populies E, insonet D. -- 2, 3, consonat A. -- DEG; sowohl in Mainz als in Utrecht ist Martinus Bistumspatron.
  • joerg
    The melody no 70 in Stäblein has the text "Sanctorum meritis", but in the index he says that this melody has also been used with "fratres unanimes". The problem is that Sanctorum meritis has a different meter (2nd Asclepiadeic stanza). I've transscribed the melody no 70 in the attached pdf. BTW: Stäblein says explicitly that he thinks the melody is older than the Cisterecian hymnal where he first found it.
  • tomjaw
    This Hymn can be found in the Cantus Database

http://cantusdatabase.org/id/830126

Sadly there are no links to online manuscripts...

Will have a further look around for online manuscripts...
  • tomjaw
    I have found a couple more references... but no music yet.

http://www.liberius.net/livres/OEuvres_completes_de_Mgr_X._Barbier_de_Montault_(tome_13)_000000167.pdf

and,

http://mek.oszk.hu/09300/09324/pdf/danko1.pdf

I have another index to look at before we are stuck with trying to get access to the ancient manuscripts.

• Thanks very much for the work, the melody that user "Joerg" provided was perfectly adaptable to the meter of "Fratres unimane"s. I omitted of few neumes to make it match the meter and it sounds excellent.

Incidently the name of the book wih the office hymn melodies is not "Anacleta Hymnica" but is titled "Monumenta monodica medii aevi" (Kassel, Bärenreiter-Verlag, 1956), though I was correct that the author was Bruno Stäblein. Sorry for that confusion. Sometimes I confuse one long latin name with another.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw