Roman Missal Question: Is there no common of Apostles?
  • Kathy
    I'm trying to find the Common of Apostles in the Roman Missal, but I don't see it. Is everything in the Proper of Saints? Thanks.
  • I'm pretty sure that it is all in the Proper of Saints.

Did you want to know the chants proper to their Feast days?
  • What HM said. There is no need for a Common of Apostles because every apostle save Judas has his own feast day.
  • BenBen
    Agreed, why the need for a common of apostles? I could see that happeneing in the breviary, but its not likelynto happen in the missal....
  • Liam
    They are all proper feasts (or solemnities).
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    There is a common of apostles in the Graduale, however.
  • Kathy
    And in the LOH.
  • Interesting--for the post-V II liturgy, there is no common of Apostles in the Missal, but there is in the Gradual and Office. The Missal notes "For each Solemnity and Feast a complete proper Mass is provided." Each Apostle has a Feast, ergo no need for a common in the Missal.

In the Gradual, many of the specific chants listed for the Apostles' feasts are in the common, but some are specific to one feast only and a few come from elsewhere in the year (for example, the Communion for St Thomas's feast is taken from the Sunday after Easter, when the Gospel of Doubting Thomas is read). So it appears that the Common of Apostles in the Gradual is a repository for chants that are used for more than one Apostle. An exception seems to be St John (Dec 27), whose Mass uses two chants from the Common of Doctors of the Church.

In the Office, however, there are some chants--the invitatory antiphon comes to mind--that are used for multiple Apostles' feasts, so there may be more of a need for a common office of Apostles.
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • Protasius
    In the EF there is a Commune Apostolorum for the Office, but the Masses are all proper (although one quickly observes chants that are used by multiple Apostles, such as the Mihi autem introit).
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen