Mass in Honor of St. Ralph Sherwin - Interludes
  • ryandryand
    At the request of Fr. Raymond McDaniel, I have composed some interludes for use with Jeff Ostrowski's Mass in Honor of St. Ralph Sherwin. These are composed for a brass quintet, but could also be used on organ. Scores are provided in concert pitch, while the separate parts have been transposed for the appropriate instruments. All tempo markings are merely suggestions - the tempo that your schola sings this mass will determine what is most musical for your situation. Articulations are not marked, as the material is not challenging and I trust the musician(s) involved to make informed decisions based on the schola's tempo and the acoustics of your church. Lyric cues are at the top left of each file. Audio samples are provided to give a general idea of what was intended.

Edit: Thanks to Ben Yanke for this Dropbox file which contains everything attached below.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i23vft6wepvmkkr/5HDQXJcugc
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • BenBen
    The gloria intro reminds me of the brass parts for MOC. Sounds interesting....for the purpose of saving paper, you might consider combining inst. parts (putting all 1st tpt parts on one sheet, all the horn parts on another...). Doesn't make much sense to print two measures on a single sheet...

For dropbox users, I threw everything here, so you can do a one click download, instead of all the individual files...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i23vft6wepvmkkr/5HDQXJcugc

Anyways though, it's an interesting idea, particularly for those parishes that wouldn't think of using a gloria without brass parts (my cathedral is one of them). Certainly makes it more usable in those situations.
  • ryandryand
    That's a good idea, Ben. I wrote these out on Noteflight (free online program), as my Sibelius access is very limited after my laptop was stolen a few months ago. When I've got access and some time, I'd like to renotate everything with a nicer presentation. Combining them as you described would go quicker in Sib. as would writing out a two-stave organ version ... can't do different voices on one staff in Noteflight, so it would look cumbersome with all the ties involved ...
  • BenBen
    I've retypeset it for you Ryan, including new inst. parts and a single page organ reduction. I had to do it quickly, but if you need me to, I can clean it up a little more some time. Just shoot me a PM or something. I just don't want to stay up much later, considering I've got a 7:00am Mass to direct... :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/11ks8pmfxlq6woi/Sherwin-Dingess-Brass-interludes.pdf

If you're without Sib, I'd check out MuseScore. I use it for most of my modern notation work, and with a bit of tweaking, you can get pretty good results. Not to mention, it's free. Check out the dropbox link in my earlier post and I have all the MuseScore source files, if you want to play with them.

Update: One correction: need to add fermatas consistently, and correct with some fermata collisions with notes.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • As someone who does a lot of score reading and in my spare time as well as composing for larger ensembles, I'd like to make a few suggestions, Ben:
    1.) In the full score for the brass quintet, it will look much cleaner if there's a bracket around the left side of the staves as well as barlines that go through all the staves (like the organ part).
    2.) The parts could be a little more spaced out, otherwise it looks cluttered.
    3.) While most horn players are adept at transposing on sight and reading bass clef, it is wisest to just transpose the part already.
    4.) There's no real need to say C Tuba, since they don't transpose (even if the tubist is utilizing a B-Flat or F Tuba). One only needs to put that for the transposing instruments. (Not a real biggie, though.)

Otherwise, the format is very straight-foward and simple, which is key to making sheet music look proffessional, which in turn is the sign of a good publisher. :) Good Job.

And of course, beautiful interludes, Ryan D. :)
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • ryandryand
    Wow thanks Ben. Nice work.
    Good suggestions above ... most important is that the individual parts be transposed for their respective instruments.
  • BenBen
    Whoops...

I forgot to to click "concert pitch." I'll try and correct it and upload another soon.
  • Not that it matters now, since Ben has re-typeset them already, but in my boredom I re-typeset in Sibelius yesterday, but just got around to making the PDF file now.

The MD at my parish is looking at new settings of the Gloria to use, as we have been using essentially only Mass of Creation for almost 10 years, so I am planning on suggesting the Sherwin Gloria as an option. We came close to doing it at the seminary last year for a Mass, but now that I am taking time off, I don't think it is going to be suggested anymore...
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • I forgot to to click "concert pitch."

If I recieved a dollar for every time I forgot to turn that off in Finale, I would have enough money to buy a 64' pedal rank for my local Parish.