What to say about this?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Something doesn't have to be sacrilegious for it to be an insult.

Here is an image of the band being "honored" by the unholy cheeseburger:

So, you know - it's pretty much a circus of blasphemy all the way around.
  • chonakchonak
    The radio announcer Paul Harvey used to deal with such cases well:
    At the end of a report about someone who had done something ridiculous or offensive, Harvey would say, "He would want us to mention his name," followed by silence, then would start the next item.
  • francis
    Just satanism looking to take a low blow to Truth.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • CharlesW
    I remember that bishop! ;-)
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • In order to have a sense of humor about something, one needs to be making fun of it. Anything from light-hearted teasing to malicious ridicule counts as making fun of something or someone.

So---
    Yeah, we could make jokes about the owner's mother, or his wife,
    and lots of people could have a "good sense of humor" about it.

Or

The owner could do a similar funny haha with a picture of Mohammed.

Why not?
  • canadashcanadash
    Or

The owner could do a similar funny haha with a picture of Mohammed.

Why not?

Why not indeed.
  • francis
    satan and his cronies would never mock those cut from same cloth
  • Well, the perpetrators of such dregs really have their day made when any, any, notice at all is taken of their stuff. Best to ignore it, just like one would ignore something unseemly on the sidelwalk. Never let on that it or its authors even existed. Don't reward negative categories with attention of any kind.
  • Kathy
    "Well, if it's a symbol, to hell with it."--Flannery O'Connor

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the host is not really an icon. It doesn't look like Jesus and doesn't attempt to. RC Communion could be given in any unleavened form. As far as I know, unless there's legislation about the shape of hosts that I haven't seen, it could be square or cubed or triangular. Circles fit easily into mouths of all sizes, so we use circles.

However, when we gaze at the consecrated host in adoration, we are gazing at this-host-become-the-Body-and-Blood-of-Jesus-Christ. Something of this shape and size is God.

St. Paul in his Letter to the Romans distinguishes between what is good for those who are strong in faith and those who are weak. He was talking about meat that was bought at the market, and which would have been offered to pagan gods. He reasons that since the pagan gods are fictional, it doesn't really matter whether something has been offered to them or not. Both Peter and Paul say that Christians can eat freely.

But, he says, not everyone has a strong faith, and if it would weaken your brother's faith to see you eat meat that was sacrificed to pagan gods, don't do it.

Unconsecrated hosts may be eaten as a snack. There really isn't anything to keep you from doing it, unless it would hurt someone else's faith, I think. What does the burger do to faith? I don't know.

• chonakchonak
    Kathy, not only may they be eaten as a snack, it's happened in real life:
    http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2005/12/27/Communion-wafers-newest-Quebec-snack-craze/UPI-90781135708135/
  • Scott_WScott_W
    satan and his cronies would never mock those cut from same cloth

Professional courtesy.

Also, while I get the whole "don't give it attention", it doesn't really work unless every Catholic with an internet connection agrees to it which never happens. The ones that choose to ignore it are not wrong, but neither are those who acknowledge it and try to provide a counter-witness. I remember trying to ignore The DaVinci Code. Amazingly it spread like kudzu without my attention and it got so bad that even family members were touting the book at the dinner table. So I learned what it was trying to pass off as truth while its defenders dived down the escape hatch of "It's just fiction!" when you called them on it; and did my best to explain why its contents were nonsense and why "It's just fiction!" is a cynical ploy.

In this case, it's one of those things I call negative witnesses to the Truth. They wouldn't use a communion wafer unless they thought there was some power even in an unconsecrated wafer. There is something there to mock. It's not an accident that you almost never see similar mockery of Buddhism, Hindoo, etc. Pardon a cliche, but the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. Some say they would never do this to Islam because of the fear. I don't think that is it. Rather, they hate Christianity more than they fear Islam. The deletion of Christendom is on the top of the scoffer's to-do list. This little cheeseburger incident is the classic pig-tails in ink, which would be laughable if souls were not at stake.