Very nice film about Le Barroux monastery (French with English subtitles)
  • chonakchonak
    This film moves through a day in the life of the traditional-rite monastery, with the sacred liturgy as the center of the monks' and the community's life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXHKvvSfxqk
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for this little piece of heaven. My husband gave me a Liber Usualis last week as a surprise gift, and we've been listening to the online office. There's something intensely appealing about this way of life and the chants from the Divine Office are such a revelation to me. I had no idea how beautiful they are. I'm realizing that so much of Catholic tradition and culture originate in the Office. So much theology and spirituality there---and to be able to sing it all day? Incroyable et marvellieux!

(I should add that working in a field of lavender against the backdrop of the Alps is not such a bad thing either!)
  • the chants from the Divine Office are such a revelation to me. I had no idea how beautiful they are.

Yes! The chants of the Office are what drew me to chant in the first place, and they are what sustain my love for chant on a daily basis. Singing traditional Compline at home is very easy once you get the hang of it, btw. (I was pleasantly surprised to learn recently that the Church has been encouraging laymen to pray Compline at home since at least the 1880s).

What has struck me lately, moving the other direction (from familiarity with the Office toward familiarity with the Gradual), is how different the chants of the Office "feel", overall, from the chants of the Mass.
  • This needs to be bumped up and not forgotten.
    It is places such as this that make one glad, very glad, that he is Catholic and part of such a world. There are places in the Catholic world which one would be loathe to be thought a part of - I speak of certain too-common liturgical and music praxes. In viewing this film I was struck by the similarity of approach and theological underpinnings between the finest of Benedictine liturgy and high Anglican liturgy: they are birds of a feather.

Many thanks, Chonak, for providing this: it has made several of my days, and will make a few more!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl