Who sings "Benedicamus Domino"?
  • RobertRobert
    The Antiphonale Romanum II provides a "new" option for the dismissal at the end of Vespers:

Ad libitum, secundum traditionem gregorianam, dimissio fieri potest in cantu Benedicamus Domino . . . (p. 763)

Traditionally, for the Divine Office, this versicle was sung by two cantors. In the modern Liturgy of the Hours however, the dismissal that the Benedicamus Domino would replace ("Go in peace") is reserved to the presiding priest or deacon--if no priest or deacon is present, there is no dismissal and the hour concludes with "May the Lord bless us . . ." Where a priest or deacon presides, is it therefore necessary for him to sing the Benedicamus Domino?

I realize this is not a matter of enormous importance, and I suppose that common sense would say that the presiding cleric sings it, unless he does not wish to (some of these melodies might be a bit daunting to sing solo), in which case it would be acceptable for a cantor to sing it. I am still curious to hear what others think.
  • At our parish, the deacon sings it.
    Thanked by 1Robert
  • Simon
    Even if a cleric is present in our vesper service - still the cantor sings the Benedicamus Domino. The cleric - if present - functions as the hebdomadarius (incipits Deus in adiutorium, the first antiphon, the hymn, Magnificat antiphon, recites the prayer of the day, etc.).

But we usually sing our office services without clerics. Makes life a lot easier.
    Thanked by 1Robert
  • some of these melodies might be a bit daunting to sing solo

He can always sing recto tono or in the simple versicle tone.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    He can always sing recto tono

That is a very expensive option.