• WJA
    I'd appreciate it if someone in the know could confirm or correct my understanding of the asterisks in the texts of Domine Jesu Christe and Lux Aeterna from the Requiem Mass (obviously, I'm a newby):

First asterisk: cantor sings the bits to the left, to intone the chant, whole choir sings the bits to the right.

Second asterisk: this just marks where the antiphon begins in case you sing more than one verse, or the middle of the antiphon so that you have the option to sing just the second half if you sing more than one verse.

"V": Cantor sings the verse up to the third asterisk, whereupon the whole choir finishes off the verse and then repeats the antiphon.

Is that correct?

Justin
  • For the Requiem Mass, both the Offertory, Domine Jesu, and the Communion, Lux æterna, include one verse written out. In both cases, the second asterisk marks the point in the antiphon to which the choir returns after the verse. Although the option exists to repeat the full antiphon after the verse, I would keep to the traditional form as given, which makes for better form, both musically and textually. If you need more singing at Communion, there are several verses you can sing, which are available in Communio and on the CMAA website. (Though I should think this would be a good time to promote sacred silence.)
  • WJA
    Thanks, that's helpful. I think our fledgling schola will stick to one verse for Communion, as you suggest.

Justin