Relationship between Melody and Text
  • Hello,

Does anyone know if there is any statement from an ecclesiastical/sacred authority regarding the intimate relation between melody and text in Gregorian Chant; in particular how this relationship renders it 'pride of place in the liturgy'?
    The best I can find is in Willi Apel's book - 'Intimate relationship between melody and text is a trait so fundamental in Gregorian Chant that it needs no substatiation' - but Apel hardly counts as an ecclesiastical authority!
    I've tried searching through the usual suspects (Tra le Sollecitudini etc.), but can't seem to find it. My apologies if it's right there and I've missed it. If anyone could just point me in the right direction, that would be fantastic.

Thank you very much, God bless!

Gabriel
  • If I recall, Gabriel, Jeffrey has commented upon this in a number of articles over at NLM. Those could likely lead to other sources.
  • G
    This isn't quite it, but from Musicae Sacrae, '55:

42. It must be holy. It must not allow within itself anything that savors of the profane nor allow any such thing to slip into the melodies in which it is expressed. The Gregorian chant which has been used in the Church over the course of so many centuries, and which may be called, as it were, its patrimony, is gloriously outstanding for this holiness.

43. This chant, because of the close adaptation of the melody to the sacred text, is not only most intimately conformed to the words, but also in a way interprets their force and efficacy and brings delight to the minds of the hearers. It does this by the use of musical modes that are simple and plain, but which are still composed with such sublime and holy art that they move everyone to sincere admiration and constitute an almost inexhaustible source from which musicians and composers draw new melodies.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • I've recently started using a phrase that i expected to elicit some disagreement but it hasn't, no matter how often I've used it. I wonder if it is because it just unexceptionably true. It is to call chant "the Church's music."

Do you think that is true that chant can be called the Church's music, and, moreover, is the only music that can be so designated? It is the only music that has a connection to the Roman Rite that can really be considered proprietary of the Church. We can really say this of modern hymns or classical Masses or even Renaissance polyphony.

Any thoughts on that?
  • Jeffrey,

Well, few could contend that GC is “the Church’s music”.

The question is, what ELSE is “the Church’s music”? Is GC the only music that is distinctly the province of the Church?

I dunno...what about non-Roman rites? Do any of them have a chant that is as distinctly “theirs” as Gregorian chant is to the Roman Rite?
  • GavinGavin
    The Roman Rite is not the Church, so I think it would be wrong to state that Gregorian chant is the Church's music in such a way that compels Eastern Riters to use or enjoy it. Furthermore, the music of the Eastern rites is shared by those inside the Church and outside (Orthodox), so again no claim there. I would generally temper that statement as "Gregorian Chant is the music of the Latin Rite".
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I'd go even one step further. It has been asserted here and elsewhere that Gregorian chant is not music. (Somebody help me here. There is a musicologist in Europe who I believe you quoted, Jeffrey, who said this).

I would add to it to make it even more undeniable by the Newchurch NPM-types. As the term "sung prayer" is so quickly used as the term of choice by them, I'd say that Gregorian chant is the only true sung prayer of the Roman Rite.

On a different note, I remember sitting at a NO Mass at St. Agnes, and followed the propers in my Gregorian Missal as the schola chanted it. I was amazed to discover the subtlety of text painting and elevation of meaning brought to the text via the chant. I wish I could remember exactly which chant it was, but upon realizing the connection, I experienced what I believe was a mere glimpse of the sublime power of chant to draw one to a state of transcendence.
  • Popular music has almost always been sung in church. And banned. And come back again. In the forms of organum, polyphony, and finger-pickin' guitarists.

Only Gregorian Chant, in the 98% of the church that is the Latin Rite, has endured. No one else wants it, no one else does it, no one confuses with anything else.

Sounds like the Church's Music to me. Since chant melodies form the foundation of music, it's hard to consider the concept that it is just music carrying words of prayer. If it were, modern music would be drastically different. It'd be words. And would probably not contain contractions like it'd.

It'd not.

It'd over.

It'd out.
  • I do love this quote:

42. It must be holy. It must not allow within itself anything that savors of the profane nor allow any such thing to slip into the melodies in which it is expressed.

IT"S MASS IN ALL TOO MANY CHURCHES!!!!
    "Hey Molly! Hear that? Reminds me of the time you and I were in Tahoe that winter, freezin' our...."
    "Oh, I love that song. I have to have it in my wedding! It was so sad when she died in the movie, I cried and I cried...."
    "Here comes the Bride, Short, Fat and Wide...."

"On Beagles Wings...."

It'd ov'r.
  • Ok, yes, thank you. So how about "the Church's music for the Roman Rite." That seems to sum it up. If anyone starts using this phrase, I would be curious at the response. so far it has elicited no disagreements. It is a good way for us to speak about the subject in a summary way.

"why did you sing that Latin chant stuff today?"

"Because it is the Church's music for the Roman Rite."

"Why should we sing this Sanctus?"

"Because it is part of the Church's music for the Roman Rite."
  • It's the Church's music for the Roman Rite...and just like sports, when things get out of hand it's back to the basics.
  • Thanks for the quote G.

And yes, it is the 'Church's music for the Roman Rite'. Not quite so catchy as 'The church's music', but still works!

Gabriel
  • It's the Church's Music for 98 out of every 100 discerning Catholics.
  • GavinGavin
    I don't think we should play the "numbers game" to marginalize Eastern Rites. I don't take a stance of superiority with chant, I don't view it as intrinsically superior to most other music traditions. What I DO say (as with Latin) is "This is the Roman Rite, so we will do Gregorian Chant. There's no other way around it. If you don't like Gregorian Chant, there's 26 other Rites with their own musical tradition."
  • 'If you don't like Gregorian Chant, there's 26 other Rites with their own musical tradition.'

I think some people might be searching hard for the Folk and Pop rites!

Gabriel
  • GavinGavin
    There's always protestantism, I suppose. Or if they don't like any of those musical traditions, they can just start another denomination. May as well, since their theology is likely different as well...
  • francis
    I like Pop Rite. Sound's like the official Nu-church translation.
  • GavinGavin
    Sounds like a brand of microwavable popcorn. A tasty treat to go along with watching your performer-priest's zany antics!
  • francis
    O Jeeeesh, Gavin! We better stop now before we cause a scandal!
  • mahrt
    A more detailed exposition of the issue of the relation of chant to text is given in Pope John Paul II's Chirograph on the Hundredth Anniversary of Tra le sollecitudine. Here he emphasizes its intimate link not only with its texts, but also with the liturgical action it accompanies:

4. In continuity with the teachings of St Pius X and the Second Vatican Council, it is necessary first of all to emphasize that music destined for sacred rites must have holiness as its reference point: indeed, "sacred music increases in holiness to the degree that it is intimately linked with liturgical action"[11]. For this very reason, "not all without distinction that is outside the temple (profanum) is fit to cross its threshold", my venerable Predecessor Paul VI wisely said, commenting on a Decree of the Council of Trent[12]. And he explained that "if music - instrumental and vocal - does not possess at the same time the sense of prayer, dignity and beauty, it precludes the entry into the sphere of the sacred and the religious"[13].

5. . . .Indeed, liturgical music must meet the specific prerequisites of the Liturgy: full adherence to the text it presents, synchronization with the time and moment in the Liturgy for which it is intended, appropriately reflecting the gestures proposed by the rite. The various moments in the Liturgy require a musical expression of their own. From time to time this must fittingly bring out the nature proper to a specific rite, now proclaiming God's marvels, now expressing praise, supplication or even sorrow for the experience of human suffering which, however, faith opens to the prospect of Christian hope.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    I'm bumping this up because it relates to a question I've been pondering. The vast majority of time in my schola is focused on learning to sing the musical aspects of chant.

However, as a "sung prayer" (I think I've even heard the term "musical lectio" before), there is a deeper aspect of the chant that I think is easily ignored in the hubbub of learning the right notes: the prayer itself. It is nothing intentional, but I think it is easy for us schola directors just to assume that our scholae are getting the spiritual benefits without taking responsibility ourselves of showing them how to reap those benefits.

Here are some ways which I encourage my schola to seek them:

Lectio Divina

Translating the text word for word by guessing at meanings, using English cognates as guides (and a handy translation in the director's hands)

Reading the translations

Situating the chants in the context of the Liturgy

Analyzing the way a musical phrase flowers from the text (Dom Johner's book "Chants of the Vatican Gradual" is helpful here)

Periodic talks on the Liturgy by visiting speakers, and discussion on readings from influential authors

How do we schola directors focus our scholae on the spirituality and the meaning of the chant, especially within the context of a rehearsal? I'm looking for more ideas.
  • francis
    practicing in sacred space, before the Blessed Sacrament, especially with good acoustics for chant
  • Ok, yes, thank you. So how about "the Church's music for the Roman Rite." That seems to sum it up. If anyone starts using this phrase, I would be curious at the response. so far it has elicited no disagreements. It is a good way for us to speak about the subject in a summary way.

"why did you sing that Latin chant stuff today?"

"Because it is the Church's music for the Roman Rite."

"Why should we sing this Sanctus?"

"Because it is part of the Church's music for the Roman Rite."

Better, I think, to use your phrase to refer to the entire body of Gregorian chant, and not to specific chants at specific times on specific days. Otherwise:

"What? How can you complain about that Byrd Agnus Dei we did today?"

"Because it is not the Church's music for the Roman Rite."

"I thought it was great that Father has started chanting the introduction to the Our Father and then we all sing it together instead of just reciting it."

"Ugh, awful. That sure ain't the Church's music for the Roman Rite. So much for the 'Reform of the Reform'."

In other words, Jeffrey, I think your phrase adequately emphasizes (one reason) why chant is important, but being too particular about how you apply it can risk sounding bitter and dismissive of anything else as unchurchly.
  • People DO NOT LISTEN. Jeffrey's approach is effective because this same person, when talking with someone else who criticizes the new music, has a choice of agreeing or standing up for the new music, using Jeffrey's words.

People need answers. People need Masses in the Diocese where they can SEE and HEAR what is possible. And these Masses need strong publicity which also gives answers.
  • francis
    mark... truth be told, most of the music played in the church IS unchurchly. it's high time we call a spade a spade, earmark it and relocate it to the round file.
  • dad29
    As to the ORIGINAL question...

The music illuminates, or illustrates, the text. (You can find that in Ratzinger's writings, someplace.)

All high-end music does that. Just using Ordinaries as examples, look to Beethoven's Solemnis, Mozart's Requiem, Faure's Requiem, or Britten's War Requiem. There is no question that finely-crafted music "carries" the text's meaning--or amplifies it.

Same with motets, e.g, any of Bruckner's works, or Peeters, or Palestrina, although his are a bit more challenging to discern.

In the secular regime, see e.g., Bizet's Carmen, Bernstein's West Side Story, ...we could go on.