Simple Choral Gradual 2010, for the Advent \ Christmas Season
  • The revised version of my Simple Choral Gradual now includes Advent \ Christmas. This edition uses the new English translation of the Entrance and Communion chants, though I've left the old Grail psalm verses intact for now. (Offertories haven't changed yet, and are not included here.) The settings are almost completely rewritten as a result, and I took the opportunity to make them moderately less simple and more melodic, and eliminated the constant meter changes that annoyed me in the original. I've also provided a sheet of congregational refrains, for those who think they could use them.

You are welcome to reproduce the volume for parish use. Let me know what errors you find.

Richard Rice
    RiceScores.com
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Thank you!!
  • CharlesW
    Many, Many thanks!
  • WendiWendi
    Yes thank you.
  • Dear Richard, I would love to sing some of your music. Alas, we are an all male (TTBB) ensemble. Would you consider arranging/writing some music for TTB or TTBB ?
    Greetings, Dirk Maes, Belgium
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Richard, off topic here a bit-
    First, you're a freaking genius. Now that's over...
    I'd love to hear the whole story, nuts and bolts and all, that gave birth to the Choral Communio. I can't think of any other volume of music I've EVER encountered that is so compellling a work for its intended purpose.
    Respect to you, maestro,
    Charles Culbreth
  • Well, there was this dove, see...
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen Wendi
  • WendiWendi
    Forgive my ignorance...the pdf says volume II...is volume I on the forum somewhere?
  • ghmus7
    Look on Mr. Rice's site, and I believe that there are a number of fine TTBB etc selections.
  • Wendi,

Volume 1 is the Sundays of Ordinary Time, divided into 2 separate PDFs. Also (correct me if I'm wrong), the Offertories are not contained because these can be found in the original version of the Simple Choral Gradual. Since the Offertories were never based on any texts in the Missal, there was never a need to revise them.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • [Choral Communio]... I can't think of any other volume of music I've EVER encountered that is so compellling a work for its intended purpose.

Also, I see on your site some examples of Advent offertories in a similar style. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that in my situation, a full collection of those offertories would be even more useful than the Communios already are.
    Thanked by 1melofluent