The Holy Father on music
  • ghmus7
    “Among the great painters, I admire Caravaggio; his paintings speak to me. But also Chagall, with his ‘White Crucifixion.’ Among musicians I love Mozart, of course. The ‘Et incarnatus est’ from his Mass in C minor is matchless; it lifts you to God! I love Mozart performed by Clara Haskil. Mozart fulfills me. But I cannot think about his music; I have to listen to it. I like listening to Beethoven, but in a Promethean way, and the most Promethean interpreter for me is Furtwängler. And then Bach’s Passions. The piece by Bach that I love so much is the ‘Erbarme Dich,’ the tears of Peter in the ‘St. Matthew Passion.’ Sublime. Then, at a different level, not intimate in the same way, I love Wagner. I like to listen to him, but not all the time. The performance of Wagner’s ‘Ring’ by Furtwängler at La Scala in Milan in 1950 is for me the best. But also the ‘Parsifal’ by Knappertsbusch in 1962.
  • Holy Cow Erbarme dich is my favorite Bach aria too!
  • ryandryand
    This is cool.
  • Thanks for posting!
  • It certainly provides an interesting perspective. His personal tastes are very much like Benedict's!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    His personal tastes are very much like Benedict's!

Shocked. I'm so shocked.

(what's color for sarcasm?)
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • I profess gladness that agreeing with His Holiness on the subject of musical preferences is not grounds for being a good Catholic.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I believe we all must daily accept our calling in the manner, the manner of the many depictions of household help over the last decades such as "Upstairs, Downstairs....Gosford Park....Downton Abbey....The Help....Mrs. Brown......et al." We know what we do is indispensible. "They" know what we do is indispensible. And both of "us" know that it is an honor and art what we do, whether we're acknowledged or merely compensated. We are among the sheep being shepherded. To me it matters not whether we're being herded by a Rottweiler or Babe the Pig, as long that leader knows how to martial us with grace and dignity.
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • CharlesW
    This too shall pass.
  • I'm not sure what is so bad about Pope Francis.

I ONLY like and support the latin mass in as much as it has good music, necessarily, and it has influenced, in a positive way, the ordinary form mass. For those reasons, I was glad that Pope Benedict allowed its usage and supported it. But I don't prefer it.

And as far as traditionalists, conservatives, et al ... well, I've never been of their mindset either. The Holy Father's remarks about offering X number of rosaries for him was spot on to me. Now, I'm HUGE on FIDELITY to the Church. So I really did appreciate Pope Benedict's demand for orthodoxy and fidelity. But so many "conservative" ideals don't strike me as fidelity to Church teaching, but rather to their own ideas. I'm also all for being with the Church. By that I mean that if this Pope or any other legitimately use their office to teach, I will believe what they teach because that is what it means (partially) to believe all that the Church teaches. So if Pope Francis says women can be deacons, I'm all for it. Why? Because that will now be an orthodox position, in line with the Church.

I did like Benedict's episcopal appointments, again, because under them it was not true that anything goes. I hope that Francis doesn't start appointing bishops who say "well regardless of Church teaching, it's ok to do what you want." But I don't think he will. And that's not what I've heard him say at all.
  • GavinGavin
    Am I the only one who noticed that he's not talking about liturgical music?

He has good taste for his iPod. So what?
  • chonakchonak
    So if Pope Francis says women can be deacons, I'm all for it. Why? Because that will now be an orthodox position, in line with the Church.
    I'm not sure that's a good example, because that would be a doctrinal innovation that is hard to reconcile with established infallible teaching. If such a position were expressed as an opinion, it would produce an intellectual crisis about the sacrament of ordination: it would lead to the implication that diaconal ordination is not the same sacrament as priestly ordination, and that we have eight sacraments. In practical consequences, such a doctrinal innovation would end any prospect for Orthodox-Catholic reconciliation.
    Thanked by 2francis Chris_McAvoy
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Actually, I think it's a perfect example.

Because, either:
    1. It happens, and so that make it true/orthodox.
    2. It can't/won't ever happen, because it isn't true/orthodox.
    3. It happens even though it isn't true/orthodox, which means that we need to rethink what we mean when we talk about this stuff.
  • CharlesW
    Popes can be removed from office for heresy, btw. The Orthodox, and maybe some Eastern Catholics, would wash their hands of the Roman church forever if it ordained women.
  • 'Ordination' of women was the last straw (the last of quite a few straws) that prompted large numbers of Anglicans to cross the Tiber as ordinary Roman Catholics or as Anglican use ones. It would be an ironic travesty if we ended up fighting the same battle all over again. (Actually, quite a few Catholics from lay to prelate hold the Anglican example up as one the Catholic Church should imitate [an interesting position for people who don't believe Anglican orders are valid to start with!].) Chonak's observation above is spot on: ordination is a theological category, not a 'social justice' one.

(However, Charles - the Orthodox may not be as immoveable on this matter as we might think: a little over a year ago I read of one Greek bishop who said: 'if we are to continue not ordaining women we need to have better reasons than those we have been putting forth'.)
  • From the moment that the College concludes its work and the "Habemus Papem" resounds through the world, we have a valid, sitting successor of St. Peter. The continuity thus is not broken and he becomes the Vicar of Christ on earth.

All else is secondary; are you more Catholic than the Pope? Are you faithful to the Church or not (a question I've posed to many who advocate for puppet masses and the ordination of women et al)? Now I find myself posing it to self described "conservatives" these days.
  • PGA,

The Pope isn't free to promulgate whatever he wants. He can't make the Cubs the World Series winners. He can't make Mr. Obama's position prolife, and he can't suddenly declare as true what has always been false, or make virtuous what has always been evil, or -- for that matter, declare as false that which has always been true, or make vicious what has always been virtuous. For this reason it isn't possible for the Pope to ban the so-called Vetus Ordo (see another thread) on the grounds that it was heretical. He can't suddenly ordain women: the deaconate is part of holy orders, and women can't be ordained. When Pope Paul VI suppressed the minor orders, he didn't make women eligible to receive minor orders; instead, he removed as a liturgical requirement that someone who has received the minor orders serve as lector, or porter or acolyte.

Since the original post was about the Holy Father and music, he couldn't forbid the use of Gregorian chant, or Latin within the celebration of the Roman rite. For the other rites, rules proper to those rites, and consistent with their long history would have to be observed.

On the other hand: if he, personally, chose to listen exclusively to Justin Bieber, Madonna and ABBA in the privacy of the Casa Santa Marta, that would not be the official teaching of the Church.
    Thanked by 2francis ryand
  • CharlesW
    Exactly. He is pope, not God, and there are the restraints imposed by sacred tradition that he is required to follow, too.

The Orthodox. To make that kind of change would require a Pan-Orthodox Council. They could never, as has been the case for 1,000 years, agree on anything. It will never happen.
  • Saint Alphonsus Liguori:
    Concerning the Election of a New Pope

"As regards my opinions concerning the present state of the Church with relation to the election of the new Pope, what opinion of any weight could a miserable, ignorant, and unspiritual person like myself possibly give? There is need for prayer and much prayer. All the human science and prudence that there is cannot extricate the Church from the present state of relaxation and confusion in which every section finds itself; the all-powerful arm of God is necessary.

As regards the bishops, very few of them possess genuine zeal for souls. Almost all religious communities — and one could omit the “almost” — are relaxed. As a result of the present state of general confusion, observance has collapsed and obedience is a thing of the past. The state of the secular clergy is still worse: so, in a word, there is a need for a general reform of all clerics and ecclesiastics if there is to be any improvement in the present great corruption of morals among the laity.

So we have to pray to Jesus Christ that He would give us as head of the Church one possessed of more spirit and zeal for the glory of God than of learning and human prudence. He should be free of all party attachments and devoid of human respect. If, by chance, for our great misfortune, we should get a Pope that does not have the glory of God as his sole purpose, the Lord will not help him greatly and things from their present condition will go from bad to worse. However, prayer, which can provide a remedy for so many present ills, will move the Lord to put His hand to the problem and remedy the situation."
  • CharlesW
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.
  • francis
    Expiditus

Excellent quote! SAL is certainly one of the best.
  • ghmus7
    It is heartening that at least in his private tastes, Francis enjoys beautiful music...What is perhaps worth observing, is what others, priests, bishops, liturgy folks will do with his other comments in general. We have already seen the media do some ridiculous things with his words... I have already heard comments to the effect that "we are now going to liberalize the liturgy, because that is what the Holy Father wants"... It seems to me possible that those who could not stand the liturgical views of Benedict have been waiting for a "liberal" pope. Now that they 'have' one, they are going to enter the fray with renewed energy. (I am speaking of liturgical matters) In other words, those who dislike the Latin rite, or want to suppress it, or find chant pointless, will find needed ammunition in the comments of Francis, even though he may not have intended this at all. Those who never wanted what Benedict was proposing (or really are anti) will latch onto anything that Francis says that seems to support their views. I have heard this already. Or, those 'traddies' who like Latin will made to ever more feel out of place and less welcome.

Also, it is worth noting that our present Holy Father is thankfully in good health and will be with us for a long while, so I believe he will be very influential.

It seems to me that this liturgical debate is an inherent difficulty with the OF. It is impossible to 'regulate', and everywhere it is celebrated, it is affected by the political/theological/cultural/sociological/musical views of the community where it is celebrated. I used to see this is as a very good thing, Now I am not so sure. The great thing about the EF is that everyone is on the same level, and no one group, cultural or otherwise can hijack the rite. With the OF, who is in charge? Who makes the decision of what language, music, etc? it's always open to debate, it really does not matter what the documents say.

CGZ writes -
    "Since the original post was about the Holy Father and music, he couldn't forbid the use of Gregorian chant, or Latin within the celebration of the Roman rite."

No, he could not make this decision, but parish priests and bishops everywhere make this decision every day.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    everywhere it is celebrated, it is affected by the political/theological/cultural/sociological/musical views of the community where it is celebrated. I used to see this is as a very good thing, Now I am not so sure. The great thing about the EF is that everyone is on the same level, and no one group, cultural or otherwise can hijack the rite.

I disagree.

Whilst the particulars of the hijacking may be different, both forms of the Rite are open to hijacking.

The reason it SEEMS to have less potential for it is:
    1. There less of it, so even at the same percentages (abuse to not-abuse), there will be less abuse.
    2. Anyone celebrating the EF today is doing so with a great deal of intentionality. If all the people involved with those celebrations were suddenly required to do the OF exclusively, you'd see the same kind of intentionality.
    Thanked by 2Andrew Motyka Liam
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    ( 3ish - When people of an extremely conservative or radically traditionalist ideology turn the Old Rite into a platform for the ideology, decent traditionalists and orthodox people are less likely to notice it as opposed to when the same thing happens among extremely liberal and radically progressive people.)
  • 2. Anyone celebrating the EF today is doing so with a great deal of intentionality. If all the people involved with those celebrations were suddenly required to do the OF exclusively, you'd see the same kind of intentionality.

This. It's called self-selection bias. People that attend the EF today are most likely very interested in reverent, well executed liturgy. Because of this, it doesn't matter if the EF is inherently more solemn than the OF; since the group of participants are almost all invested, it's going to come out that way anyway.

If the EF were universally mandated and the OF went away tomorrow, you'd have plenty of sub-optimal celebrations of the EF. Just like before the council.
  • Is it possible to make the celebration of Mass about one's personality, even in the Venerable form? Sure, but it takes much more effort, and is much more obvious. The only reason it's harder to see "personal restorations" in the Ordo Juvenior is that many people have been taught that there is no ritual, and that this is normal in the rites of the Church.

(There: I've even managed to coin a new term.)
  • CharlesW
    I suspect the real problem is that people don't change very much, no matter how far back in time you go. It is interesting that before Vatican II, the priests were bound under pain of sin and penalty of excommunication if they changed a single word in the canon. Generally, legislation doesn't get written unless a problem exists and needs addressing.

Ritual exists and has existed for centuries. Unfortunately, we live in a culture that has been raised on, "Do your own thing." And, it does. In the priestly class, what is different is that the threats and penalties have been removed.
  • ghmus7
    I appreciate your comments, I guess I am speaking about the actual Rite itself. The EF is strict in what it allows as licit. However, Adam, you have made a good point: that is the EF were as popular, you would probably see the same sort of cultural variation or abuse or however you want to put it. But was this true before Vat. II? I know that the EF Rite varied in how well it was performed, and of course the quality of music varied from place to place, however, the rite still was pretty much unchangeable? It seems that the OF came into being for the very reason that the OF was inflexible, people couldn't 'do things to it'.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hey cgz, I love new colloquialisms. Brilliant coinage.
    However, "Junior" is now fifty!!! Doesn't it get membership in AARP now?
  • Melofluent,

Given that the older brother is 1500+, being only 50 is, practically, still in diapers.

Cheers,

Chris
  • CharlesW
    That older brother is more like 500+. It is nearly 1,000 years shy of 1500 years. Still, however, significantly more than 50.
  • Charles,

Since Adam and Andrew have both thanked you, I'm afraid to correct you. Nevertheless, the basic format of the Mass is unchanged for a good deal longer than 500 years (i.e., the Council of Trent), although some parts have had revisions more recently than that: the Leonine prayers, for example, were added by Pope Leo.

No, I don't have the documents with me, but I can find them if I need to do so.

In Church history, something which is only 50 years old is, metaphorically speaking, still in diapers.
  • CharlesW
    Agreed, the NO is not ancient. The mass, 1500 years ago, was more like early liturgies in other parts of the world. In those days, the masses in east, west, and Africa were more alike than different. I have heard all the Tridentine hype and drama about the "ancient mass still in use today," unchanged since apostolic times. It was changed at Trent, and rather significantly.

The EF as it exists today can be reverent, beautiful, and create a wonderful sense of worship when celebrated well. However, I wonder why those attached to it have to continually try to prove its superiority, and create a made-up history for it. I take nothing away from that liturgy, but find some of the arguments made for it stretch credibility. One would almost think the 4th-century Romans sang polyphony, wore mantillas, knelt for communion (we know they didn't), and played anticipated Bach on instruments not even used in church at the time.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    For reals.

The Mass promulgated at Trent has as much continuity with the Mass celebrated 1000 years earlier as the Mass promulgated by Paul VI has with the Mass promulgated 500 years earlier.

Which is to say: A LOT of continuity.
    But also a lot of DISCONTINUITY.
    Which one of those factors who find to be more important is largely a matter of ideology and worldview.

If there had been an internet after Trent, I'm sure there would be all sorts grumbling about how the loss of some particular sequence hymn is a clear indication that the Papacy had fallen into heresy and that the new Mass was totally invalid, and even if it is valid technically, it's deficient and won't work.

(And, not for nothing- the more I personally learn about the transition from the Medieval to the Modern, the more I think that the Tridentine Rite [or, at least, its implementation] was part of the problem. But that's a story for another post.)

The Mass of Paul VI does have some... peculiarities, compared to previous reforms and renewals, peculiarities which are not in its favor. But I think that has to do, more than anything else, with the fact that it was promulgated in the era of mass communication. The framers of the New Missal could have gotten everything 100% perfect and right (whatever that means) and it STILL would have been a bizarre historical oddity to be able to, essentially, flip a switch and make every Catholic in the world adapt to a single set of changes all at the same moment.

If I had been POPE OF THE WORLD, I would have tried to figure out a way to continue with the pre-Concilliar reforms, keeping in mind the mandate(s) of the Council, to introduce a series of planned, slow revisions over the course of a decade or two.

Also, had I been POPE OF THE WORLD, I would have had more specific things to say about actual implementation disasters. I don't know if Pope's don't know, or don't care, or don't think it seemly to call people out by name, but I sometimes wish they would stop speaking in generalities and say something like, "Now- just for example- this song here. It's really bad. And let me tell you why...." or "We have spoken before on the need for beauty and the problems caused by ugliness in the Sacred Liturgy. Now- let me tell you about this gosh-darn awful chasuble I saw recently, so you actually know what I'm talking about."
  • CharlesW
    I remember the implementation of the 1964/65 missal - at least, that is the date given in my copy. The changes were relatively minor and the translation was good. That all changed with the NO of Paul VI, which I don't think many of the Council Fathers ever saw coming down the pike.

Trent? I see three things that collectively bent the mind of the western church before Trent. Scholastic theology, the Black Death, and Protestantism. Trent did overreact more than a bit to Protestantism. Perhaps that Council felt it had to for the survival of the Church.

My own opinion, and YMMV. Other than the minor liturgical changes which Vatican II actually implemented, I saw the Council as a stepping away from Scholastic theology as the exclusive way to interpret Catholicism.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Trent did overreact more than a bit to Protestantism. Perhaps that Council felt it had to for the survival of the Church.

DISCLAIMER: I may have no idea what I am talking about.

My sense of things is that Trent and the "Counter Reformation" weren't exactly reactions AGAINST modernism, so much as the Catholic Church's version of it.

In some ways (SOME) it seems that Vatican II was trying to reverse that- by reclaiming a Medieval sense of ecclesiology. But what happened instead is that modernists hijacked it, diagnosed the previous incarnation of modernism as "old fashioned" and went about instituting a new version of the same problems.

The worst of the Traddie v. Proggie style wars, then, really represent two factions of modernism fighting against each other whilst missing the point. (Which does not in any way remind me of American Politics.)

I see Benedict's liturgical movement, and Francis' evangelistic movement, to be particular incarnations of a "Third Way" - beyond the T/P//L/C divide. The fact that Bennie was lambasted by the left and championed by the right, whilst Frank is being attacked by the right and hailed by the left - even though they say the same things - is evidence for me of this issue. (Which is not at all like how, in US politics, Libertarians are seen by each party as belonging to the other one.)

In a world that only has two options, whoever doesn't look just like you must be on the other team.

Again- that's just how I'm seeing things right now, mostly because of Page and Pickstock. I'm hardly a historian.
    Thanked by 2ryand Jeffrey Quick
  • Charles, are you saying that Vat II never intended for there to be a Novus Ordo, and that it simply made some small changes to the current rite, but then Paul went overboard/went further and started a whole new rite?

That was never my understanding, so if that's true it will be a revelation to me.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    What happened to the discussion of the Holy Father's comments on music? ... and on the music upon which he comments?

I'm old enough to have purchased and cherished a vinyl issue of the Knappertsbusch recording of Wagner's "Parsifal" long ago. And my introduction to Bruckner was through an ancient Capitol Records two LP set containing the masterful Symphony no. 5 in B-flat major, which opened up a young teenager's eyes to great contrapuntal writing.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What happened to the discussion of the Holy Father's comments on music? ... and on the music upon which her comments?

Gosh, who wants to talk about music when we could be literally saving the Church and the World with our Profoundly Correct Understandings?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    PGA, I don't believe the Council Fathers had the gift of prophecy, and could not have anticipated Paul VI, or his take on liturgy. The Council did its works on liturgy and faith, then went home. The Council ended in 1965, and Paul VI issued what we call the Novus Ordo in 1969. Whether or not it is a new rite is a matter of contention, but the NO is definitely not what was in use immediately after the Council. The changes in my 1965 missal seemed relatively minor. The changes were mostly the use of the vernacular instead of Latin, and turning the altar around, which I don't believe the Council actually mandated. Even the music was still pretty good in my area until the late sixties.
  • BruceL
    PGA, there are different perspectives, but there is certainly one school (which is not unreasonable) that believes the Consilium most definitely overreached. I don't think it (the NO) is a "sacred cow" either, as even +Ratzinger posited that a great deal had been lost (e.g., the offertory prayers of the priest, etc.) That same offertory now has Jewish passover prayers said by the priest...prayers that had never been part of the 2000 year history of the Mass!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Gosh, who wants to talk about music when we could be literally saving the Church and the World with our Profoundly Correct Understandings?

If that were true, I wouldn't mind; however, this is MusicaSacra.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • CharlesW
    Were we not just recently talking about Old MacDonald, as in ee-i-ee-i-o, and its Latin equivalents? On his farm, he had some cows, so perhaps it could be MOOsicaSacra.
  • If that were true, I wouldn't mind; however, this is MusicaSacra.

Exactly. And no smiling. I hate smiling.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ryandryand
    Exactly. And no smiling. I hate smiling.
    image.jpg
    234 x 156 - 11K
  • CharlesW
    St. Tardar Sauce. That's her real name.
  • That same offertory now has Jewish passover prayers said by the priest...prayers that had never been part of the 2000 year history of the Mass!

Eh...I'm not quite sold on this one. There are far better Jewish prayers that could have been used in my opinion. This is the sort of thing post Temple Jews (AD70) would pray at Shabbos at home celebrating a meal at table, certainly not in the Temple, or rather, no one REALLY knows I guess. Any thoughts? I may be totally off mark here...
  • chonakchonak
    Eh - it's off-topic anyway.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • People forget that there was a proliferation of different missals before Trent and that liturgies with a known antiquity of more than 200 years (as at 1570 I think) were permitted to continue in use, but liturgies that did not have such a known antiquity were to be abolished and the Tridentine Missal used.

The prayers at the foot of the altar and the last Gospel were originally private devotions - a pietistic practice that were technically never part of the mass but were made compulsory in 1570.

If you've been to a few Eastern Liturgies, you will see that the Mass has all the same essential elements, often with variations in the wording, different orders, etc. At one point the Creed was recited immediately before communion in order to prevent heretics from receiving communion.

What Vatican II called for, and what was done in the "spirit of Vatican II" are often two vastly different things. If you read the council documents as well as documents issued immediately before and after the council things will make sense.

I started with reading Tra Le Sollectudini (1903) and have made an effort to study every document on liturgy, particularly with music, which goes through Musicae Sacrae (1958), Sacrosanctum Concilium Chapter VI (1963), Musicam Sacram (1967) and JPII's Chirograph in 2003. I am sure that there are plenty more documents which I have forgotten to mention.

There is a clear trend in what the church has called for. And what has been done since the 1970s shows that 90% of people have flatly ignored the directives coming out of Rome.
  • If the EF were universally mandated and the OF went away tomorrow, you'd have plenty of sub-optimal celebrations of the EF. Just like before the council.

Yes, and I'd embrace that change ! I'd take sub-optimal celebrations of the EF over sub-optimal celebrations of the OF anyday !!! Than the playing field and perspective would be leveled, no more excuses or artificial illusions left. :-)

(Although if such a thing occurred I'd also prefer there be an option for a partial english version ala 1964/1965 translation or Anglican use/Knott Missal translation that is purely in line with the tridentine latin rubrics and words. That's a compromise that would ensure the success of such a prospect, as the use of non-latin language seems to be part of the pandora's box that vatican II opened. I could live with exclusively latin but I doubt that the majority of others could or would any longer. Especially for instance in a country such as China.)