Hymn Texts for Little Children
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I'm looking for theologically solid hymn lyrics that would be suitable for little children, ages 4-7. The kindergarten teacher is the pickiest about music, so I need lyrics that are simple enough to be easily understood by that age group.

I'd like to set these texts to sturdy hymn tunes. Any recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.
  • Faith of our Fathers
    Soul of my Savior
    Godhead here in hiding
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Holy God We Praise Thy Name
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Thanks for your suggestions so far, cgz and Adam. I use these already and get some push-back that there are too many lyrics (not enough repeated text) for some of the younger kids.

I think that what some of these people would really like is for us to just sing a bunch of P/W praise choruses, which is something I'd only be open to if my pastor ordered it.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Well that's a whole different problem, isn't it?

We could probably sit here and work out a list of simpler chant antiphons or some such.

But, really- that won't help.

What is your position in relationship to picking music and teaching kindergartners?
    Are you the music teacher? Because if you are the music teacher and the Kindergarten teacher is telling you how to do your job, then he or she just needs to get over himself or herself. I assume you don't interfere with the teaching of letters, colors, shapes, or the (very complicated) business of "getting along together."
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I'm the parish DM. There is a separate music teacher for the parish school, who is a....Protestant!

I pick the music for the school Masses, and regular, sturdy hymns usually work pretty well for the 3-8 grade kids. We chant a little, but not too much, because I don't need that kind of attention, if you know what I mean.

I've used "Jesus in the Morning" with these kids before, and that works pretty well due to the repetition. The pastor and the teachers would really like these K4-2 grade kids to be able to memorize the music and lyrics, as most of them don't read especially well yet. I don't really want to continue using "Jesus in the Morning" because I would like to move to more traditional, more solid hymn tunes. If there were simple, rhyming lyrics that would fit the meters of the tunes, I think that would satisfy a lot of those who are complaining, at least for now.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is the school Music Teacher "on your side" as far as using solid, sound hymnody?
  • chonakchonak
    "Holy, Holy, Holy": can the kids handle "God in three persons, blessed Trinity"?
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    @Adam -- not sure. She's not usually involved in these sorts of decisions.
    @chonak -- good idea. I bet that'll work. I use it all the time for the older kids.
  • Irishtenor,

Is the goal child-ish, or simple enough for a child? [Serious question; your assessment of the situation is what I mean]

• Jani
    I guess Clap de Hands is out of the question? :/

They did it in my parish once, at the behest of our nun - it was sad.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    @cgz -- that's a legitimate question. There are a lot of things that I think are simple enough for a child, which nonetheless require at least a bit of explanation (much of Faith of Our Fathers, for example). The powers that be don't seem to be the least bit interested (perhaps incapable?) in spending any time on these explanations with the children. I do explain the theology and imagery behind some of these verses with the older children, but it is difficult for some of them to grasp, due to poor formation, I suspect. I think that what would be most successful for me in this situation is to find lyrics that are good enough and theologically sound when taken at face value. Perhaps a small, small bit of "explanation necessary" lyrics would be okay.

I guess I just really don't want to dumb everything down for this group. If I have to dumb down the lyrics a bit, at least I could set them to a solid hymn tune that the kids will hopefully recognize in the future.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You don't explain theology to children. Just to teach them the songs. They'll explain it to you.
  • Kathy
    Here's something.

Sorry I don't have time to do a real setting. For some reason I'm working with an ancient version of Finale Notepad. Can you make out what to do with the accompaniment?

I think it should satisfy the most skittish practitioner of "child-oriented" musical literature. At the same time it's ok on the theology and catechetical in nature. So win-win for everybody.

Don't go selling this for money or anything.

Verses:
    No longer wheat, no longer bread,
    No longer grapes, no longer wine,
    But something more excellent, perfect and true:
    The Body and Blood of the Lord,
    The Body and Blood of the Lord.

No longer living for ourselves,
    No longer dying for ourselves,
    But something more excellent, perfect and true:
    To live every day for the Lord.
    To give every day to the Lord.

Spirit of God, in wind and flame,
    Changing our gifts of bread and wine,
    Making them excellent, perfect and true:
    The Body and Blood of the Lord,
    The Body and Blood of the Lord.

Spirit of God, O holy dove,
    Filling our days_with the Father’s love,
    Making us excellent, perfect and true:
    The daughters and sons of the Lord;
    The daughters and sons of the Lord.

Praise to the Father and the Son
    And Holy Spirit, Three in One:
    Perfectly excellent, perfectly true:
    Forever and ever the Lord,
    Forever and ever the Lord.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor G
  • Kathy
    As a special added bonus, "daughters" precedes "sons," which will make some people happy.

Yes, I know, it's quite Barney.
  • Irish tenor,

What seems like eons ago, I tried to explain "sin" to my then 3 yr old son. I said that it was something I do which makes God sad. No, that's not a complete theological treatise on the subject, but it was an age appropriate explanation. Years later, his younger brother asked me "Dad, why does the priest have his back to Jesus in the English Mass?" Is it a theological treatise? No. Does it pose a perfectly good question? Yes.
    The Baltimore Catechism proposes this answer for one level of student: Why did God make me: To know Him, love Him and serve Him in this world, so as to be happy forever with him in the next. It's a simple answer, easily learned, and the child makes sense of it as he grows up.

When someone in an adult position of responsibility requires you to work with "age appropriate" music, this doesn't always mean that the children won't understand something meatier. It means that someone has a preconceived idea about what children can and should sound like, and that idea is that the children should be childish. "Barney", as Kathy calls it.

I've been recently teaching a school choir of non-Catholic children to sing the Boar's Head Carol. I asked the children if there were any words they didn't know. There were a few, and so I explained to them what the words meant. Short, sweet, and effective.

• irishtenoririshtenor
    Thanks, everyone. I very much appreciate this forum :)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    tomjaw ... fabulous, thank you!!!!
  • Kathy
    Indeed. English chant, illustrated! Really wonderful!!
  • I'm scratching my head at the kindergarten teacher's rationale.

We expose little ones to things that are over their head all the time. Frankly, humans need a lot of things over their head to learn and develop. It's called wonder. Whatever happened to that???

Can a toddler explain harmonic progressions? No. We play Bach for them anyway, so they get a chance to experience the music.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Check out page 2.

With other boys and girls you can paint a mural of “Paradise”on a long piece of wrapping paper. Plan together what to draw and where each thing should go. Each child may draw something different. DO NOT COPY ANY OF THE PICTURES IN THIS BOOK.

It's like if Matthew Meloche's lawyer wrote the instructions.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    And on page 13....

About 600 years ago Holy Mother Church heard many worldly tunes come in and push out her beautiful chant.

It's a good thing that is so far in the distant past!

This book is AWESOME.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    How cool!
  • Wish it used more square notes rather than just the last song though.
  • Please don't assume that because the kids are "little" that they can't be taught good, solid sacred music. I teach Grades K-8 and have taught the kids the Ave Maria chant, which we do after communion every school mass. Teach it like a game. The younger children love being able to speak in "a different language" and don't have trouble with the sounds. I've had quite a bit of success.

With the mid-grades (3-4-5), I've been able to do Panis Angelicus, Soul of My Savior, Jesus, Jesus Come to Me and the Taize Laudate Dominum (with the descant--divide the choir in half and enjoy it).

I'm not kidding, really. Please don't "dumb down" liturgical music because classroom teachers feel their students "can't handle it". This morning when we sang Laudate Dominum, I had the teachers come up afterwards in amazement at how good the children sounded.
  • And, btw, K children are like little sponges and don't need the lyrics explained to them (or explained in very simple understanding). I also use an old "Ave Maria" with English verses and just the first two phrases of the Ave Maria as the refrain (sorry, don't have my music with me and I don't remember the composer). The first verse is "As I kneel before you, as I bow my head in prayer, take this day, make it yours, fill me with your love". VERY easy for the age 4-5 kids. Good luck.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • GavinGavin
    Litany of the Saints
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • I was walking through the Academy the other day, and on my way to what was a wonderful conversation with the Provost regarding the sacred music curriculum, I passed the 3rd grade classroom, wherein the teacher had a recording of "Awesome God" playing, and the kids were bouncing, dancing around and doing what are apparently a set of hand movements that go with the song.

I've got a lot of work to do here.
  • Absolute stupidity:

Our God is an awesome God (point up, thumbs up, point up)
    He reigns from heaven above (rain hands down, hands raised)
    With wisdom, power, and love (point to head, show muscles, cross arms in front of body)
    Our God is an awesome God (point up, thumbs up, point up)

Dick and Jane Speak:

Jane says, "Dick! Look! It's reigning cats and dogs out there!"

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    OMG a robot has taken away the 3rd grade teacher's job!!
  • Love the example of 121 How to Sing the Mass.

This should be mind-blowing to some. I'm impressed, thanks so much for posting this link, Chrism!
  • I have an obscure and unique publication called "The Child's Book of Hymns," published in 1927 by the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Dubuque, Iowa. Nearly all of the 40 English hymns are original with the music by Sister Mary Editha, B.V.M. A few of the hymns are traditional with new melodies (i.e., Dear Little One; Jesus, Thou Art Coming). The title pages states: "Approved: Dr. Otta A. Singenberger, Director of Music." Some of the art work in this book is really beautiful. Perhaps if you called the archivist of this community of sisters, she may be able to send you a copy.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • Taize works great with children of all ages, especially little ones...
  • Check out the Ward hymnal.

Adults who insist on dumbing things down for children verywell may be my biggest petpeve! And this is why we are homeschooling.

Although not strictly Catholic, spirituals work well with children and help to pacify the adults and preserve your position. Anything call and response.

Short, simple but beautiful antiphons work best for Mass. Write them yourself if you need to. Look at the Ward method book for examples of melodies and the psalms are the only lyrics you really need. Better yet, have the children compose them!

Hymns with any sort of repetition work such as LASST UNS ERFREUEN. The younger ones can sing the alleluias. All Things Bright and Beautiful-repeating refrain.

Teach the children music they will grow into-not out of. Yes that includes chant.

Barney type songs are a waste of everyone's time, if not demeaning, especially for the children. Teach the children how to think musically. They will be naturally drawn to true beauty. As long as the lyrics are true to Catholic teaching, the only problem will be to many words to digest at one time. That's why strophic hymns aren't the best choice for real young ones. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't listen to them.
    Thanked by 2Gavin canadash
  • G
    Kathy, perhaps it makes to too plodding, but ISTM that 3/4 instead of 6/8 takes away a little of the swaying-back-and-forth barneyosity, (or is the word "barnitude"?)

Irishtenor, there are hymns, such as Draw Near... where the first verse works well as a repeated refrain.
    But I think it's a sin to waste the awesome memories of children by only teaching them what they can instantly and fully understand

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    barneyosity, (or is the word "barnitude"?)

barnicopia
    barnificense
    barnirrea
    barnishambles
  • Kathy
    barnificence
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • aka twaddle
  • G
    I think all purveyors of such should be barnished.
    From the Kingdom, ya know...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Kathy
    "That song couldn't hit the broad side of a Barney."
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "Get the village schola together, we're gonna have a Barney-razing."
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Dumbing down music is very counterproductive. The children will eventually grow out of it, or become resentful of it. There is no reason why, with love and patience, children cannot learn some easy chants and basic hymns. I would suggest starting out with the Ave Maria chant. It's easy enough for the kids and they already know the Hail Mary Prayer. A good hymn to start out with is "Jesus, Jesus Come to Me" or "Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All".

Anything "Barneyesque" should be avoided at all costs.
  • Also, the ICEL "Agnus Dei" is easy enough for kids to learn and since the first two verses are the same, easy enough to teach. Good luck.
  • Along these lines--I have a small children's choir that sings once a month--should I focus on teaching them one Latin chant (like Ave Maria) or let them sing the SEP Communion Antiphon each time?

I have adults asking me to dumb it down too, and I only get to practice with the kids once!
  • chonakchonak
    Whatever you teach them for immediate needs, also start teaching them the "Missa de angelis". It's appealing to them, and people still like to hear it.
  • donr
    You really can't do any better than "O Sacrament Most Holy" or "Holy God We Praise Thu Name"
  • I really wouldn't bother trying to teach kids simpler songs. What happens is that eventually they start to grow up and don't want to sing kiddy music any more.

Teach them simple hymns that they will eventually continue to sing throughout their lives. When I was 13 I didn't understand "Abide with me" I didn't even know what "abide meant" but it was at my Grandfather's funeral, it was sung at Memorial Services and it is regularly sing for Compline. It has only been in recent years that I have understood it, but it has always been with me. Good hymns are going to be life-long companions.

Soul of My Saviour/Anima Christi is a good regular communion hymn that they will go on to sing for years. Even if you stick to a regular rotation of about 20 good hymns (since I imagine that with a school it is a weekday mass) which broadly cover ordinary time and a few good Lent and Easter Hymns you will be doing everyone a favour.

Certainly, If the school is attached to a parish where most of the students would also attend Sunday Mass, it is a good opportunity to put a couple of hymns at the weekday mass which will be sung at the Sunday mass. Surprise all the parents when their kids know these hymns!
  • Some Suggestions:

Soul of My Saviour/Anima Christi
    God-Head Here in Hiding/Adoro Te Devote
    Praise to the Lord the Almighty
    Holy God We Praise Thy Name
    Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence
    Firmly I Believe and Truly (Drake's Broughton)
    By All Your Saints Still Striving (Aurelia)
    Most Ancient of All Mysteries (St Flavian)
    Lord Jesus Think on Me
    Forty Days and Forty Nights
    Glory Be to Jesus
    Alleluia Sing to Jesus (Hyfradol)
    God Christian Men Rejoice and Sing (Vulpius)
    All People That on Earth Do Dwell
    All Creatures of Our God and King
    Christ is the World's Light (Christe Sanctorum)
    Be Thou My Vision.

(Come to think of it, that list is probably broader than the repertoire of most parishes, but they are all good hymns worth teaching to children)
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • Chonak,

I wouldn't start with Missa de Angelis because, in the event that the children's exposure to chant is stunted, we should want them to know beauty in other forms. I like Mass VIII, and we sang it yesterday for the Feast of St. Michael the Archangel, along with a Byrd 3-part Mass, but whenever I teach a first Mass, I use Missa Orbis Factor The Kyrie is quite memorable enough to learn quickly.

Whatever else we teach the children, we shouldn't begin or end with the truncated forms of the Requiem which are in most missalettes. (This gives the impression that all chant is sad.)
    Thanked by 1chonak