Musical Characteristics of Renaissance Composers
  • Writing a short story where a second-generation Hmong immigrant finds herself in chamber choir and madrigals, and falls in love with a particular composer. Thing is, I'm not sure which one to choose, and I don't know any of their distinctives.

Any help?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Gesualdo
  • I was going to say Gesualdo... but I see that melofluent said it first.

Why not Thomas Tallis = Princeps musici.

Or Monteverdi, prince of madrigalists.
  • What should I listen for with Mr. Gesualdo?
  • Love Gesualdo's Tenebrae pieces.
  • CharlesW
    What should I listen for with Mr. Gesualdo?

Music to murder your family by?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Besides CDub's example, listen for extreme idiosynchratic voice leading in parts that result in very unexpected harmonic moments, listen for the passion which is unabated tone painting such as his "Absalon."
    Having taught many Hmong kids over the years, Gesualdo is a perfect match for the concept from the book "The Spirit Catches, You Fall Down."
    Thanked by 1TheUbiquitous
  • Mr. Fluent,

I am not having much luck finding his Absalon on YouTube. Any luck on your end?
  • SalieriSalieri
    Try 'Tenebrae factae sunt', this video has the added bonus of being able to follow the score. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Q_5G5LMS0

I would also suggest William Byrd or Josquin des Pres. Though, Ordando Gibbons is nice, too, and then there's John Taverner (not to be confused with John Tavener). And Johannes Ockeghem...
  • Don't forget that Sherlock Holmes published a monograph on Orlando di Lasso. I can't say for sure what kind of research Conan Doyle did, but just possibly he actually joined a local chamber choir. If you're near Berkeley, it's not to late to enroll in Bella Musica for a semester of digging into the fascinating Prophetiae Sibyllarum.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen