Female Chanters
  • Yet another question :)

God seems to be pulling me in a massive way toward recording vocals for chants.

But I'm struck by the reality that it seems that all the propers & Psalm mp3s I come across (chabanel psalms, for example) are chanted by males.

Are females generally avoided? Am I chasing a pipe dream? I wanna know what I'm getting myself into.

Thank you, you've been very helpful with all of my questions.
  • tomjaw
    The examples, mainly from convents, of chant recording are not usually posted on the internet, but there are CDs available.

Also there is a website under construction with free recordings of the Schola Sanctae Scholasticae, an all female Schola in England.

Example here:
    http://stmarymagdalenchoir.wordpress.com/2013/03/02/exclusive-recording-attende-domine/

Much, much more to come.
    Thanked by 1Ben_Whitworth
  • Oh, I'm thinking very garage band, in a way. I would really like to put practice vocal recordings of the Chabanel psalms up (PBoP, Royce Nickel, etc), but it seems the preference is for males, as all the other practice mp3s are of males.
  • chonakchonak
    I have a similar impression, Philothea: that in this country more of the local scholas that have been going for years are composed of men. Perhaps someday someone will propose a reason related to male and female religious psychology: perhaps more men than women are disaffected from conventional mainstream Catholic parish music. Maybe more men than women have taken the step of studying the Latin needed to appreciate the texts.

Also, I suspect it relates to the era when chant groups were practically an underground phenomenon. A private lay-run group meeting in a church in some bad neighborhood would probably get more men participants than women.

Anyway, I expect there are enough research questions in the topic to produce a couple of Master's theses in religious sociology. :-)
  • It could be simply that the recordings on the site you're going to are of men because their singing friends and colleagues are mostly men. Maybe a woman or group of women simply aren't in the area for them to record. If you feel you are qualified to make a contribution, you can always contact people who run the site. As far as I know, they have no rule against women singing. And I agree that examples in the upper octave would be of great help to parish choirs.

In general, its true that there is an impression that our field of work and study has far more men than women. Still, there are lots of dedicated and faithful women working at the local level- and beyond- to restore sacred music. Every once in a while you'll find someone who objects to women singing in church, and especially the propers. I'm sad to say that still exists, though such attitudes need not stop you. Do not be discouraged. Keep singing and studying with diligence and joy. There are several women on this forum who can chime in with stories of their experiences in our field, should they read this post.

Blessings, Philothea!
  • I often make my own practice recordings for my choir... After I've recorded and uploaded the recordings, though, I typically just share the links with them, rather than making them public. Since I know what tempo I'll be using, etc., it really helps them to prepare for singing with me.
  • Liam
    Frankly, I much prefer the sound of female voices chanting to those of men.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I always did practice recordings for my schola, but NEVER had the confidence to post them for public consumption. I'd want to put a lot more work into it. But that's just me.
  • This thread seems to be the appropriate one in which to pose a question that has been the source of conversation amongst some of my choir members for the past week. About 18 months ago, I was approached at the organ bench by a gentleman bearing a book, and was shown excerpts which exhorted that MEN ONLY are to sing the Propers. I wish now that I had copied the name of the book, at that time, or at least committed some of that communication within the choirloft to memory, but I didn't. I only recall snippets about "the male choir of the Levites" and "liturgical function reserved to the males." That same book was presented to the pastor, and as a result, the Propers are now sung only by the males. The question that I had wanted to find the answer to is: "What reference book clearly spells this whole business out?" It would be very helpful.

I will admit that I had to deal with some personal feelings that were crawling up through my chest, and trying to get out through my mouth: namely, "So, it's OK for a woman to research the chant, copy the music, cut-and-paste the music, transpose the music, write her own accompaniments, learn the music, teach the music to the males, accompany the chant on the organ.....but she can not sing it?" Thud.

My way around all of THAT is to make sure that I find plenty of other gorgeous chants that the women can sing either as preludes, or at Offertory or Communion times, either alone, or alternating with the men.

Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • chonakchonak
    Liturgical law is scattered over many documents, and also is affected by official rulings, permissions, tolerations, etc. It's easy to see one document that requires something or forbids something and jump to an erroneous conclusion.

There is a discussion of this question on a traditionalist forum over here. A writer over there makes the point that even SSPX congregations typically have mixed-sex lay choirs.

De musica sacra (1958) presents the ideal of an all-male schola cantorum, composed of clerics and servers in the sanctuary, but expressly allows "a choir of the faithful", including women, as had already been officially tolerated practice.

The Schola Cantorum

99. It is highly desirable that a choir or schola cantorum be established in all cathedral churches, in parish churches, and all other churches of importance where the liturgical functions can be carried out as described in paragraph 93a, and c.

100. Wherever such a choir cannot be organized, a choir of the faithful, either mixed or consisting only of women or girls, can be permitted. But such a choir should take its place outside the sanctuary or Communion rail. The men should be separated from the women or girls so that anything unbecoming may be avoided. Local Ordinaries are to issue precise regulations about these matters, and pastors are to see to their enforcement (Decr. Auth. SCR 3964, 4210, 4231, and the encyclical Musicæ sacræ disciplina: AAS [1956] 23).

I think a clarifying point would be that in sung Masses of the Extraordinary Form, only what happens in the sanctuary counts as a liturgical act. This is why the priest pronounces the propers himself, if a lay choir in a loft sings the propers. Such a choir is not carrying out the official liturgical act, and it's not a true liturgical choir in the sense of the documents. So the restrictions on an ecclesiastical choir don't apply to it.

And even if you have a group of male chant singers: if it's not in the sanctuary, it's not functioning as an ecclesiastical choir, and it doesn't have the exclusive role of singing the propers.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • chonak, in scanning some of the comments in the traditionalist forum that you mentioned above, I think that "the book" which was shown to me, regarding why only men are allowed to sing the EF Mass Propers, had to do with Pius X's 1903 "Tra le Sollecitudini" (Instruction on Sacred Music) http://www.adoremus.org/MotuProprio.html
    I see that Section V, Numbers 12 & 13, of this document contain the same wording that I remember from my choirloft conversation.

Big, Dumb question coming here: Is Pius X's document still binding upon us as musicians? I just want to know what the mind of the Church is, and then I'll be happy to do what is asked of me. Well, I'll be happy, as long as the men put the PRACTICE time into learning the Propers sufficiently.
  • chonakchonak
    It's binding, but the male-only provision only applies to a choir singing in the sanctuary, composed of clerics and/or laymen vested as servers.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It's binding only in the EF for vested scholas fulfilling that office within the sanctuary confines. Must make that distinction.
    That same book was presented to the pastor, and as a result, the Propers are now sung only by the males.

That outcome drives me crazy. Dagnabit, we DMs should know our own business well enough not to put up with nabobs with old books and ignorant complaints, and also to fraternally and collegially correct errant clergy, even if they sign your paycheck.
  • Heartily agreed, melo. The only thing worse than a "nabob with old books and ignorant complaints," is an ignorant DM nabob with no book at all.
  • chonakchonak
    A useful reference book for questions like this is Hayburn's "Papal Legislation on Sacred Music". It includes the various developments from decisions of the Congregation of Sacred Rites through the 20th century. In any case, the instructions in the 1958 document (quoted above) are the last, so their more generous permission for women and girls applies.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • chonak, I see that this book is available on Alibris, and there is a coupon good through Tuesday:
    http://www.alibris.com/search/books/qwork/4972659/used/Papal%20Legislation%20on%20Sacred%20Music
  • It's binding, but the male-only provision only applies to a choir singing in the sanctuary, . . . .

It's binding only in the EF for vested scholas fulfilling that office within the sanctuary confines.

I realize that this is the modern take on Tra le Sollecitudini. I really think it's quite wrong, though. Let's look at what Pius really said:
    12. With the exception of the melodies proper to the celebrant at the altar and to the ministers, which must be always sung in Gregorian Chant, and without accompaniment of the organ, all the rest of the liturgical chant belongs to the choir of levites, and, therefore, singers in the church, even when they are laymen, are really taking the place of the ecclesiastical choir. Hence the music rendered by them must, at least for the greater part, retain the character of choral music.
    . . .

13. On the same principle it follows that singers in church have a real liturgical office, and that therefore women, being incapable of exercising such office, cannot be admitted to form part of the choir. Whenever, then, it is desired to employ the acute voices of sopranos and contraltos, these parts must be taken by boys, according to the most ancient usage of the Church.

I have bolded two points. The first shows that the "singers" about whom he is speaking are the one taking the place of the "ecclesiastical choir," not the ones in the ecclesiastical choir. The second shows, quite to the contrary of what Chonak said, that these "singers in church" do "have a real liturgical office." What he says is decidedly not, "singers in church with a real liturgical office [read: clerics] must be men [go figure]," but rather "singers in church ["even when they are laymen"] do have a real liturgical office, and for that reason they must be men."
  • chonakchonak
    Mark, can you make your argument with reference to the Italian original text?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oh, please. St. Pius X could not have foreseen the contingencies that, whether you recognize it or not, have mitigated the canonical jurisdiction of select elements of his MP, not the least of which created a whole new ballgame, otherwise known as the Missal of Paul VI and the exigenses that culminated beyond its own binding strictures.
    I, to borrow Liam's mention from another thread, very much enjoy the chanting of the propers by women in my schola with preference over the men. And nobody gives a rat's derriere that we are located in transept.
    BTW, how many angels are capable of dancing on the head of a pin?
  • chonakchonak
    It may help to cite some decrees from S.C.R., as summarized in Hayburn:

In January and December of 1908, S.C.R. answered dubia from the bishops of L.A. and New York, and allowed that women and girls could sing parts of the Mass, at solemn Masses. They would have to be seated separately from the men singers, unless doing so were "very inconvenient". [pp. 466-467] This much allowed for mixed choirs, though not for single-sex female choirs.

A dubium and decree in June 1928 reaffirmed the 1908 decrees and did not go so far as to allow an all-female choir.

That restriction was lifted in 1958 by De musica sacra, No. 100.
  • CharlesW
    I am glad that women want to be in choirs and be cantors. If I were waiting for only men to fill those roles, I might not have cantors or choir on many Sundays.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Spriggo
  • Liam
    "BTW, how many angels are capable of dancing on the head of a pin?"

Of course, this was not a question that medieval theologians spent more than a second contemplating, because, unlike moderns, they understood that angels by definition have no corporeal substance, so they don't take up any space whatsoever.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Precisely my point regarding the protracted nature and conclusions of some comments.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • If I'm not mistaken, the London Oratory has both men and women chanting things such as psalms at Vespers, and the key is that they alternate; I don't know that they never sing together (in octaves), but rarely.
  • Mark, can you make your argument with reference to the Italian original text?

The English I quoted is a good translation of the Italian, which reads as follows (I have bolded the same portions):
    12. Tranne le melodie proprie del celebrante all’altare e dei ministri, le quali devono essere sempre in solo canto gregoriano senza alcun accompagnamento d’organo, tutto il resto del canto liturgico è proprio del coro dei leviti, e però i cantori di chiesa, anche se sono secolari, fanno propriamente le veci del coro ecclesiastico. Per conseguenza le musiche che propongono devono, almeno nella loro massima parte, conservare il carattere di musica da coro.
    . . .

13. Dal medesimo principio segue che i cantori hanno in chiesa vero officio liturgico e che però le donne, essendo incapaci di tale officio, non possono essere ammesse a far parte del Coro o della cappella musicale. Se dunque si vogliono adoperare le voci acute dei soprani e contralti, queste dovranno essere sostenute dai fanciulli, secondo l’uso antichissimo della Chiesa.

In paragraph 12 "però," on my understanding, does not really mean "therefore," but the sense conveyed is about the same; one might have said "yea verily" there. In paragraph 13 the ordering is slightly different than what would be indicated by the translation. Pius does not exactly say "singers in church have a real liturgical office," but "the singers have in church a real liturgical office," or perhaps better, "the singers have a real liturgical office in the church." This makes my point yet more strongly: he is not making a point restricted to singers who hold a liturgical office, but about singers -- telling us that when they sing in church they are ipso facto carrying out a liturgical office.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • I am glad that women want to be in choirs and be cantors. If I were waiting for only men to fill those roles, I might not have cantors or choir on many Sundays.

Maybe we should apply this wisdom to altar servers? After all, opening the job up to girls doubles the available talent pool, so statistically it should double the number of altar servers. Right?
  • CharlesW
    Who knows? I haven't noticed any difference with altar servers. Some are male, some are female. I only deal with the OF. EF folks may have a different situation on their hands since, to my knowledge, they can't use female altar servers. Wisdom? Only God is wise. Mortals spend their time arguing with fence posts and tilting at windmills.
  • GavinGavin
    I think a prohibition on female singers would be stupid, archaic, and misogynist. But trying to pretend TLS doesn't say this is just an exercise in doublespeak.

If TLS is superceded by another document, prove it. If it's irrelevant to your situation, prove it. If it's wrong, prove it. But don't go around saying that it allows something which it explicitly and clearly denies.

(reminds me of progressives who quote Sacrosanctum Concillium to prove that chant shouldn't be used)
  • Gavin, Chonak did a good job of summarizing the state of things in his last comment, above.
  • CharlesW
    Yes, Chonak did do a good job. I am surprised this subject still comes up, since I thought it was settled.
  • There's a major difference between girl choir singers and girl servers.
    Say it with me-
    A Catholic girl can grow to become a woman and sing in the choir.
    A Catholic girl cannot grow up to become a woman and be validly ordained.

Why is this so difficult every time?

Philothea, I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Disregard the discouragement as much as you can.

Time for me to prepare full propers for this week, and get ready for tonight's semiology class with Dr. Ed Schaefer. Eat your heart out!
  • For all the ladies lurking out there, sick of this topic and not sure what to say, too tired or otherwise busy to say it, you can trust the CMAA's practice to be solid. So.... keep singing!
  • chonakchonak
    [NOTE: For those uninterested in nitpicking the text along with me and Mark, please skip this comment, and please don't be annoyed at me for writing it. Just skip it, OK? Thanks.]

I raised the question about the Italian text because I think Pope St. Pius X's phrasing can help clarify some points.

Pius X refers to lay singers who substitute for an ecclesiastical choir, and he calls them cantori di chiesa. If I understand Mark aright, he considers this a fairly broad reference to "singers in the church", as the English translation gives the phrase, and he interprets it to include lay singers even outside the sanctuary.

I will present two arguments against this interpretation:

(1) The S.C.R. answered a December 1908 dubium from the Archbishop of New York who sent this description of the practice in this country:
    Throughout almost the entire United States, the term 'choir' designates a group of a few singers, both men and women, who are chosen to sing the liturgical texts at solemn Masses. The choir, or group of men and women or girls, is located outside the sanctuary in a place designated for its use alone and, moreover, this place is usually at some distance from the altar. There is no other choir to sing the liturgical texts.

Such a situation did not reflect Pius X's liturgical ideal of an ecclesiastical choir, nor of laymen substituting as liturgical ministers; and yet the S.C.R. did not forbid this outright, but only imposed the requirement that women and men be separated, unless it were "very inconvenient" to do so. This shows that S.C.R. did not consider all singers outside the sanctuary to be liturgical ministers.

(2) A textual argument: "Singers in the church" is not the best reading of cantori di chiesa. After all, di does not mean "in". Literally, it means "of". Cantori di chiesa should be read as "church singers" or "church cantors". The words di chiesa (not "in chiesa" or "della chiesa" or "nella chiesa") indicate that he is talking about a certain category of singers, or type of singers. It's not just about their location or their membership in the church.

So the text is presenting an image of one or more lay cantors in a somewhat specialized and stable role. The cantori in the document are fulfilling the function of the ecclesiastical (clerical) choir; therefore (it goes without saying), they are in the sanctuary and they are vested as liturgical ministers; they are carrying out a true liturgical office and it is obvious that only men are permitted in this role [we are speaking, of course, of the EF context throughout].

I don't think the text is even considering the possibility of a "choir of the faithful" outside the sanctuary, and therefore it is not specifying rules for it.
  • chonakchonak
    [MACW:] Chonak did a good job of summarizing the state of things
    Thanks.

[CharlesW:] I am surprised this subject still comes up, since I thought it was settled.
    For me, it's been a real help to get information about the various rulings from 1908 to 1958. Those details have been lacking in previous discussions.
  • I would not dream of nitpicking you, Richard. I'd rather learn from you. :)
  • Chrism
    1) Most of the Gregorian recordings are monastic, so parochial or cathedratic practice (which has been discussed ad nauseam on this site elsewhere) is irrelevant to the topic.

In monastic practice, the chant is typically sung by the monks or nuns in choir as part of their office. It is this daily practice, perhaps, which helps make monastic chant superior and most worthy of recording. But not all chanting monasteries have made recordings, let alone popular recordings. In fact, popular monastic chant recordings have tended to arise from congregations that have participated in the advancement of the science of chant--principally, the Congregation of Solesmes--Solesmes Monastery itself and its daughter houses (Silos, Triors, St. Wandrille, Fontgombault, St. Benoit-du-Lac, Clear Creek, etc.), most of which (but not all), and most of the oldest of which, are male. So whereas among religious in general, there are far more women than men, among the religious of this one particular congregation which is focused heavily on chant the majority are men. In any event, here is chant from one of the few Solesmes nunneries - heavenly!

2) As far as the Chabanel recordings, I think most of them are recorded by the same person...
    Thanked by 2chonak JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for all the very helpful information here re: cantrices. I'm going to forward this to a dear friend who is our cantrix at our TLM. We have a mixed schola, and she intones all the propers and the Ordinary. She has a beautiful, pure, clear voice, and we are so blessed to have her. She has told me about her experiences in other EF choirs where only men are allowed to sing the propers which has been a source of great disappointment and heartbreak to her in the past.

It's incomprehensible to me how, in this day and age, any music director could turn away such a gifted singer and such a willing heart, no matter how enamored he was with all-male chanting. It seems to me the best solution is, as others have said, to alternate between men and women, or to have a mixed schola, so no one will ever be deliberately excluded from a legitimate place in the liturgy.

I'm quite partial to mixed scholas and think the two-octave effect is very pleasing when it's done well and the voices blend. We have two women and one baritone singing the propers, and that seems to create a good balance. There are a few girls who sing along, too, but you can hardly hear them. : ) They do very well coming in at the asterisks and on the repeats. I like to think of a mixed schola as a symbolic representation of the two genders at the heavenly banquet.

Ideally, I think there should be a variety of EF scholas in the diocese. Perhaps an all-male schola composed of seminarians at the cathedral with polyphonic masses and grand organ processionals, an all-female schola singing equal-voice music at another church, but at most locations in the diocese, a more "populist" model with a mixed schola, chant masses from the Kyriale sung by the congregation and vernacular hymns at the opening and closing.
  • Simon
    Probably one of the best female scholas is in Norway - Schola Sanctae Sunnivae. (There are others just or nearly as good in Europe.) Here's the English part of their website.
    http://www.sunnivae.com/english (site needs updating).

I've heard them several times and jointly recorded chant (2 CDs) from the office of St. John Baptist with them with a male group (Hartkeriana).

They've made several recordings - fragments of which can be heard and CDs purchased here: http://www.kkv.no/en/English1/Artister/Q-T/Schola-Sanctae-Sunnivae/ - a couple of fragments also on youtube.

Highly recommended.

Another, very professional, female group that sings a lot of chant is: http://www.gracesvoices.com/ (concert in Clervaux Abbey (France) on Oct. 27 if you're in the neighbourhood).

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • We have a local Poor Clare Monastery here in Roswell (NM). I've uploaded some of the recordings of their chant to a blog. It is wonderful to hear in person -- much better than my recordings.

http://voxfeminaesacra.blogspot.com/search/label/Poor Clare Monastery
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • My understanding is that even back in 1903 the Pope had to issue lots of exemptions to this even before the official propagation of the document. Think congregations of nuns who are required to sing the Office and Mass. There is no impediment to women singing chant in the OF or EF from the outside the sanctuary whether upstairs in a loft or downstairs in the nave.
  • Also, didn't Pius XII clarify this in the 1940s?