Any parishes to avoid near San Diego airport?
  • I'm putting together some materials for a conference near the airport, and I need to be able to recommend parishes to the attendees. I'd like to avoid recommending any notorious places.

I'm sorry if this is indelicate. Please forgive me if this could have been phrased more slyly.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • May I avoid bashing any nearby parishes and simply invite you to my parish, St. Anne? There are sung masses at 9 and 11:05am on Sundays. The 9am has the full choir (25-30 voices), the 11:05 has a skeleton crew of cantors through its fully sung. Both masses include organ. Both masses are EF, with Gregorian chant, choral polyphony, and hymns.

NB: The choral section of the parish website has not been updated for years. We are working on this, but its not up yet.

If you have any compliments or concerns, I'm the choir mistress, and you can find me in the courtyard or choir room 5 minutes after the final hymn.

Welcome to San Diego! And here's hoping you have a fine convention.
  • Kathy
    I second MaryAnn's recommendation, particularly for the choir Mass! It's amazing what can be done at the parish level when an expert singer is in music leadership, and well-supported by the clergy. Melo, his bride and I had the opportunity to witness a choir rehearsal at St. Ann's, and as well as being obviously preparatory, it was pedagogically magnificent. I had the same feeling of envy towards her choristers as I have toward the kids at the Madeleine Choir School. I left the rehearsal a better singer.

If folks are definitely focused on the Ordinary Form, I'd recommend heading east on interstate 8 to the old Mission for the noon Mass.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Grazie, Kathy. You are so close to my heart. I was married at the old Mission, 11 years ago today.

All this to say, Ubiquitous, that I'd also recommend the old Mission. Perhaps Our Lady of the Rosary, too, for their 10:30 Mass. The other parishes are OF, and while they don't have as much music, especially chant, they are substantially quicker. ;)
  • Kathy
    Happy (belated now) anniversary! Yes, we are on total mindmeld :)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yes, make way to St. Anne's by all means! MaryAnn's skills are phenomenal on all levels, and that visit provided this old hound with some new insights and approaches to improve rehearsal success. But the love and honor afforded our Lord during that rehearsal was just as evident as the choir's enthusiasm.
  • You are all of course right about not bashing other parishes. That is not what I meant to start up.

So far as St. Anne's, it's 7 miles away and some folks will need to stay close to the airport. I also have space for three recommendations, so while St. Anne's will of course be one of them, I also need the other two.

1. Our Lady of the Rosary, and
    2. St. Agnes

Should I switch out St. Agnes with another?
  • (Happy Anniversary!)
  • JahazaJahaza
    I heard one of the most informative sermons I've ever heard at St. Anne's, though it was before it became a Latin Mass parish!
  • Ubiquitous,
    I don't know about switching out St. Agnes, but another one nearby and popular with visitors is Immaculate Conception, in Old Town.
    I don't know anything about their music program, however.

Fyi, St. Anne's may be 7 miles away, but its very close to the 5 fwy, no more than 10 min to airport by taxi. Not sure which hotels you'll be using, though.
  • I'll be representing a vendor for the Catholic Answers Conference, which is at a hotel within walking distance of St. Agnes. I mean, if you like walking.
  • Catholic Answers? Super! Many of their employees and directors go to St. Anne, incl. Karl Keating.

And I do agree about liking to walk to mass. There's something special about that, especially when traveling.
  • rob
    Well, St. Anne's is less than a mile from the Harborside trolley stop ...