[LATimes' Rojas] Changing faiths at the Crystal Cathedral
  • http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-c1-crystal-cathedral-20130912-dto,0,3728748.htmlstory

"The worship itself is what will give it a Catholic identity."

That line says it all.
  • CharlesW
    One either likes the architecture, or doesn't. Philip Johnson was a great architect, but in this instance, he built a Protestant worship space and a large TV studio. How it translates to a Catholic cathedral, time will tell. It has a great organ - hope they don't misuse it to play "Gather Us In," or other similar trash. But it is Catholic, which is not synonymous with the best in music in far too many places. I know nothing about the diocese or what it does or doesn't do liturgically and musically. Someone closer will have to address that topic.
  • ryandryand
    Stroik noted that within the fraternity of architects there would be a more earthly worry: "You don't want to be the guy that gets credited with destroying Philip Johnson's building."

Earthly concern indeed.

Great human architect. Noted.

Temporal achievement. Applauded.

Salvation of souls? Well, we'd better be careful about that! It could interfere with the temporary earthly structure designed by a fallible, mortal being!
  • CharlesW
    I suspect that after that diocese spends all the money for purchase and renovation, they might have been able to build a more traditional Catholic building for the same or less. But, they decided to buy the Johnson building. Whether one likes the building or not, haven't we all had enough of the liturgical Vandals who can't preserve, but only destroy? You can have Mass in a tent if you so choose, but do you really want to do that?
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • WWFD

Would Pope Francis choose that church to be a Cathedral?

And the writer of this obviously has not been to Mass in most Catholic churches for a long time if they really think that this will be true...well, at least the "traditional hymns" part:

From the LA Times article about this: They will dip a finger into blessed waters and make the sign of the cross. They will sing along as the rumbling organ, among the largest in the world, plays traditional hymns. And they will kneel as the priest leads them in prayer during the transubstantiation of unleavened bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ.
  • CharlesW
    I am going to hide out until the next pope comes along. I usually do that when the Democrats are in the White House, anyway. LOL.