Second Wave of New Mass settings?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Since MR3, our schola/choir has sung the following Ordinaries: MASS OF ST. THERESE OF LISEUX, Royce Nickel; AMERICAN MARTYRS, Jeff Ostrowski; and now MISSA EDITIONE TERTIA, Chris Mueller. We've auditioned and have on the shelf: MASS OF THE MEDIATRIX, Patrick O'Shea; and MASS OF THE ANGELS, Richard Clark. Portions of the Jacob Bancks' ALL SAINTS is also awaiting rehearsal.
    Here's the deal (similar to my other thread about "ideal Masses") - The attraction towards the Mueller setting and the others is strong, because they meet the criteria of sacred, beautiful and universal in spades. However, I have the little thorn in my conscience saying that the PiPs will not enjoin any of the movements of the Mueller save for the Agnus Dei, because they PREFER to listen. The "Holy" is one of the best settings that meet my own particular criteria, but I think the tessitura needs moving down a whole tone. Easily done, but I don't think that would elicit any more direct participation of the PiPs on the soprano melody. And the Sanctus NEEDS to be enjoined by all in my estimation.
    So, what else is out there, in English please, that you've all found accessible but not strictly utilitarian?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I want to know when we'll get Francis Koerber's fantastic Agnus Dei back online and a full Mass Ordinary to go along with it.

That and I love the Missal chants with a wild organ accompaniment.
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    AMERICAN MARTYRS, Jeff Ostrowski

Did you mean the Mass of the ENGLISH Martyrs?
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2013/jan/18/mass-english-martyrs/

Because that's what I was going to suggest...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yes, head up my.....
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Are there recordings of Royce Nickel's St. Therese Mass to be found anywhere? I'm not finding any.
    Thanked by 1TheUbiquitous
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Not that I'm aware of, Mark. Royce might respond, but he's musically affiliated with a schola that only chants up the road in Fresno.
    We could create one if absolutely necessary.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    It's not absolutely necessary. I'm just curious. :) (Or lazy, I guess, not wanting to go plunk out the parts myself on my meager keyboard and with my even-more-meager keyboard skills.)