A Reply to Bride's Music Request (a good one)
  • miacoyne
    Today I received an email from the bride on the wedding music, and it made my day. Although she and her family are not Catholics and have been requesting musics that are not suitable for the wedding ceremony at a catholic church, thankfully she understood my reply. Even though I will play some music that I won't necessarily recommend, they will be done as preludes. So it's a good compromise, I think. So I wanted to share it here.

"From: Mia Coyne

Hi, I finally had a chance to listen to some of the music by ‘the piano guys.’ Even if those songs are beautiful, I find them more appropriate for the reception. In catholic ceremonies, we are to avoid pop style music whether there are words or not. The sample music I provided in the web page is the list that are used most frequently at the Catholic weddings. I also listed some links you can read about the ceremony and have more selections. such as http://www.canticanova.com/planning/other/pln_wed3_m.htm

As a director of sacred music at a catholic church it is my responsibility to provide the most suitable music for the church events, regardless of my tastes. I’d truly appreciate your understanding in this matter, and let me know if you find some other music listed there.

(If you wish to, I could play ‘the Prayer ‘ you requested as one of Preludes. I’ll be playing various organ preludes about 20 minutes before the ceremony.)

Thank you,

-Mia Coyne
    Director of Sacred Music, St. Jane, Pasadena

"from the Bride
    Mia,

I completely understand and want to thank you for taking the time to listen to the music I have requested. I had a chance to listen to the music on the link that you provided. I have picked a few songs that I really like from the list and wanted to run them by you to make sure they are okay to use for the wedding. For the prelude, I understand that you will be playing for about 20 minutes before the ceremony begins. I am so glad you are able to play the Prayer. Do you already have the music for The Prayer, and if not would it be possible for you to get it and we can reimburse you for any cost necessary. I was wondering if it would be okay to play "The Prayer" while the mothers are being seated at 1155? They are going to be seated at this time, and I would like this to be played while they are being seated, which is not part of the ceremony. During your 20 minute prelude before the prayer in played would it be possible to play " How great thou art" and "amazing grace" and " great is thy faithfulness."

For the Processional, I was wondering if it would be okay for the bridesmaids to walk down to " Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" by J.S. Bach, and I would walk into "Canon in D" by Johann Pachelbel.
    For the Recessional, would it be okay to use " Rigaudon" by Andre Campra?

Thank you so much for getting back to me, and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

• canadashcanadash
    Refreshing!