Finale 2012 help
  • rogue63
    I'm trying to set some things in unmetered notation, but Finale keeps forcing in a rest or something strange. I've used the Staff tool and Measure tool to hide barlines and ties, and to evenly-space notes, but I can't quite figure it out. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Change the time signature of each measure to X/whatever.

I usually leave time-sig display on while I'm entering notes, and then turn off time-sig display when I move into layout.
  • rogue63
    Duuuuuuuude......
    That means counting exactly how many beats in each measure. I did that already to get the first three measures (18/4, 26/4 and 20/4) but is this the easiest way? Am I expecting too much?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That means counting exactly how many beats in each measure.

Yes.

is this the easiest way?

Lilypond.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I hate to mention it, because I think it's a TERRIBLE option:
    You could set the time sig to 1/whatever (4 or 8) and put ONE NOTE in each measure, and then hide/show the bar lines.
    But this is a terrible idea.

I think it is much better to do one-measure per phrase (or other logical division) in non-metred scores.
  • BenBen
    Try lily pond. I'm still not fluent enough to use it for every project, but it is much faster once you get going. I use it for any modern notation chant typesetting, hands down. Its five times faster for me.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Rogue, I've been doing the counting and resetting since '07, haven't figured out any other way on Finale to do it. I'd be curious as to how Bruce Ford and others using round go about setting their parameters. I also follow Bruce's way by grouping notes if they're as such in square, rather than dotting or open hole notes.
  • rogue63
    hmmmm......thanks for the tips, guys. I'll try Lilypond. Also, I'll pour a nice tall G & T when i get to work this afternoon to help me get through the tedious counting.
  • chonakchonak
    In Lilypond, you have a couple of approaches. You can (a) use \cadenzaOn to suppress automatic measure lines; and add the \bar lines explicitly; or (b) set a huge time signature (e.g., 500/8), add the \bar lines manually; and then use the \layout tag to suppress printing the time signature.

What I do is: (a) count the beats and set a time signature for each measure; and (b) use the \layout tag to suppress printing the time signature. Then the measure lines are put in automatically, and the checks at the bar lines help me to catch transcription errors.

Incidentally, I recommend using the Frescobaldi editor/previewer for editing Lilypond files.
  • Make your measures shorter. You can hide barlines. And you'll have an easier time formatting each line.

Finale thinks in measures. So all unmeasured music uses a kludge.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What I do is: (a) count the beats and set a time signature for each measure; and (b) use the \layout tag to suppress printing the time signature. Then the measure lines are put in automatically, and the checks at the bar lines help me to catch transcription errors.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Lilypond requires counting....
  • chonakchonak
    Ehhh--- not necessarily; you could set \cadenzaOn and not count anything. (See above where I mentioned that.)

But I make transcription errors often enough to want the check at each measure, so I don't use that option.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Right. Optional.
    But a good idea, it sounds like.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I hate to mention it, because I think it's a TERRIBLE option:
    You could set the time sig to 1/whatever (4 or 8) and put ONE NOTE in each measure, and then hide/show the bar lines.
    But this is a terrible idea.

Actually, this is a good idea, especially for entry of notes. You can change appropriate spacing before and after music to get better spacing. Globally remove all barlines and then restore just the few that you need. Or, after having entered all the notes, you can change time signatures, with rebar music selected, to combine 1 beat measures into what you desire, and delete the extra empty measures that arise from the time signature amalgamation process.

The enclosed stemless note edition of my chant setting of The morning star is on the rise (text by Kathy Pluth, a translation of Nocti succedit lucifer) shows what can be done. I also changed some noteheads to diamonds (for what would have been puncta inclinata in the original chant). If I recall, it took a little less than an hour to enter the notes and maybe a half hour to tweak the results (but I am fussbudgety finicky). Also enclosed is what it originally looked like using GABC and Gregorio.

I wonder if it might be worth either a workshop on using Finale for round note chant and other widely varying measure length notation ... or perhaps preparing a (hopefully) little tutorial on setting unmetered music of this sort.
  • Theo
    I'm trying to set some things in unmetered notation, but Finale keeps forcing in a rest or something strange.

Go to Simple Entry Options and Speedy Options, make sure to uncheck "Fill with rests at end of measure."

I, too, count the number of notes in each phrase, then fit the whole phrase within one measure. I still have to adjust the note spacing manually for the page to look good. I have experimented with entering the notes in 4/4, then hide the time signature and barlines. The note spacing was awful.
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • ghmus7
    O wise guides, where might Lilypond be found?
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Since Finale is able to change a note-head to look like anything in a font set, I don't know why they don't offer square notes as an option. I believe there is a Gregorian font set add-on package, but it is very expensive. I also use Finale (haven't had time to experiment with Lily Pond or Gregorio). I usually follow the same style used in most modern hymnals: quarter notes for almost everything, half notes for held notes. Tenuto marks work for epismas. Still haven't figured out how to get something that resembles a quilisma. A trill symbol would work, but it doesn't lie on the correct line or space. I've seen round note scores with quilismas (such as in Bruce Ford's American Gradual) but perhaps he is not using Finale?

After all the notes are entered, hiding stems and time signatures is quick and easy. Conceivably, one could setup Finale to use a 4 line staff and then write everything in C clef (or occasionally in F). I generally count the number of notes needed per phrase/measure in advance. If I'm ever off, changing is an easy fix. I'll have to try the 1/x method. I suppose it's just a matter of what one is used to.

I normally only write out short antiphons and typically don't mess with note spacing--that's the time consuming part. I figure my time would be better spent teaching the choir how to shape the evenly spaced notes on the page than taking the time to engrave it perfectly. Of course preparing something for publication would be another story.
  • chonakchonak
    @ghmus7, Lilypond may be found at http://www.lilypond.org/ .