Books on Sacred Music
  • Hello,

I was wondering if you could recommend any helpful books for reading on Sacred Music in order to increase my knowledge? One area that I am particularly interested in is why the organ is considered to be the best instrument for the liturgy. Also, about the idea of how the organ is the instrument that most resembles the human voice. Thanks.
  • chonakchonak
    One starting point is really a booklet, now available on the web:
    Twenty-four Questions on Sacred Music
    Thanked by 1leprechaun093
  • Dr. Mahrt's The Musical Shape of the Liturgy is particularly fine in addressing this and other topics.
    Thanked by 1leprechaun093
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    For specifically Catholic data, don't overlook a recent (and extraordinarily succinct) British publication: Music in the Liturgy, by Ben Whitworth (Catholic Truth Society, London, 2012).

http://www.ctsbooks.org/music-in-the-liturgy
    Thanked by 2Kathy leprechaun093
  • It iss fittink und selff effident zat der Konig des Instrumenten shoult be ussed fur die preisen off der Konig des Konigen. No oder Inschtrumenten haff such ein koniglichen Pedigree. Das Guitars und Drumps (eefen Fortepianos, etc.) und such not are koniglichen, HA!... zay are vulgarismus schtreet und parlor instrumenten... um... partei craschers.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen expeditus1
  • Thanks for mentioning my booklet, R J, both here and in your excellent article for the Catholic Herald. On the question of the organ specifically, an even more extraordinarily succinct but very important text is the Greeting given by Pope Benedict XVI when he blessed a new organ in Regensburg in September 2006.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Zanks, Yaksones, fur dass adweiss, ass yoo haff awoided miness pweffered eenschtrooment, zuh Hurdy Gurdy fur die Heiligen Messe!
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Delighted, Mr. Whitworth, that you found my Catholic Herald effort of interest. Also delighted to see you on this forum. I've not yet seen the CH piece, it always takes about 10 days for even air-mail editions of the CH to reach me here in Australia. While I should have liked to mention the Regensburg blessing in my article, there wasn't room, alas.
    Thanked by 1Ben_Whitworth