Sung Introits
  • I recently heard a solo voice singing an Introit before the processional hymn. Does anyone else do this, are these published anywhere? Any incites will be appreciated.
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • I have used this method for major feast days and we sing the introit, from either the Gradual Romanum, the Simple English Propers http://musicasacra.com/additional-publications/sep/, or the Simple Choral Gradual (with a choir) http://media.musicasacra.com/books/simplechoralgradual.pdf. Every week I do the same principal at Communion with a chanted proper followed by hymn or choral selection.
  • chonakchonak
    If it was in English, the chant may have been from one of the collections listed here on the main CMAA site.

Or was it in Latin?
  • jhoffman
    Dear Chapman, Nice to see you on this site.

The parish I work/minister at uses an introit before the processional hymn (after the opening greeting by the cantor) at the "Choral Masses." We also do a communio before the communion processional hymn. These come from a variety of sources including just a simple psalm tone, Gregorian Missal (especially in Advent, Christmas, Lent and Easter seasons and holy days), sometimes pieces I have composed, etc.

I do not do solo introits or communio at other masses with a solo cantor. I have been doing this for about 7 years now and is an accepted practice at the parish. I must say that we do a lot of experimenting with musical forms. The choir likes to do this and sometimes we use pieces composed by choir members. (I actually have people in the choir who are working professionals in music: 3 music teachers, 6 band directors, 3 choral directors, 2 symphony persons and even one person working on a Masters in composition. This along with 35 out of 47 who can read very well allows us to gingerly walk this path of expressions with some musicality and yet remain totally pastoral in the approach for the faith community. ) WE also have a lot of fun with this.

• CGM
    What seems a little more typical is that
    - a processional hymn would be sung during the procession of celebrant & acolytes into the sanctuary, and then once the celebrant reaches the altar,
    - the Introit chant would be sung while the priest incenses the altar.

This also makes for nice acoustic sense, inasmuch as the hymn (organ and choir) is louder than the shuffling feet of the processing, and then the incensing of the altar (relatively quiet) has the softer music of the Gregorian Introit.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    I always try to do hymn then introit, when possible, that way the hymn can be before the Mass, then the Mass itself can begin with the actual texts of the Mass.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • CGM
    "the actual texts of the Mass" - what Ben said.
  • chonakchonak
    This thread is about the question ChapmanGonzalez posed. Please use the other thread about introits and hymns if you want to discuss that issue.