Update and A Permissions Question
  • Hi :) I wanted to thank all of you for your help in my other posts. I've learned a lot by reading the threads here. I suggested/forwarded the Vatican II hymnal psalm chants in modern notation to the ?choir leader? as a very sneaky ninja way of eeeaaaasing the choir toward chant, and away from OCP. Trepidatiously awaiting a response (my hopes aren't high, to be honest).

Question:

Am I correct in assuming that this is a board for DoMs and composers? Just being a cantor, am I still allowed on the board? I kinda feel like the little 6yo neighborhood kid who's following the teenagers around ;)

Also: God seems to have hit me upside the head with the inspiration to learn and record some psalm chants. Do I need to contact each composer to seek permisssion, or is it free reign to put it online (like all the videos church choirs put rehearsals of the chants/Psalms up on YouTube) as long as I link to their PDFs and give proper credit? Everything is so "open-source" here that I'm not sure how to conduct myself. By the way, can I tell you how much I LOVE that m.o.? LOVE IT. Thank you all so much for openly sharing your lovely works.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Philothea, you are very welcome here. This forum is for anyone with an interest or involvement in Catholic sacred music. Your contributions have been valuable.
    Thanked by 1Philothea
  • chonakchonak
    Check the copyright notice. If the work was published under a Creative Commons license -- get to know the various versions at creativecommons.org -- then it may already explicitly allow or forbid "derivative works", which would include performance audio/video. If it doesn't allow them in general, you can still ask permission. And it never hurts to ask permission.
    Thanked by 1Philothea
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Yes, check the copyright. And if you are using music by a living composer, it is very likely that he/she will want your YouTube posting, and will grant permission. (unless you are that singer being talked about in another thread ...)
    Thanked by 1Philothea
  • ChoirpartsChoirparts
    Copyright laws are strictly enforced on YouTube. Use only creative commons material...or get permission from the copyright holder (usually the publisher). Youtube does have agreements with many publishers to run commercials on your videos, but that does not guarantee against takedowns of your videos in the future. Three takedowns and your banned for life. Play it safe... use creative commons only.
    Thanked by 1Philothea
  • Thank you, all!
  • henry
    Regarding copyrights...we have Let Us Celebrate/Celebremos and Flor y Canto II. Often for school Masses I draw from both books. Rather than distribute all those books and saying "number 123 in Flor y Canto", I just make a simple song sheet with everything on one page. This violates copyright laws too, doesn't it? It just makes things so much easier, though. The parish has already paid for those songs by subscribing/paying for those books, so it's not like we're trying to cheat anyone. Any thoughts?
  • WendiWendi
    choirparts...I have to tell you I love your youtube videos and use them with my choir frequently. I just bookmarked the Victoria Ave Maria to send them tomorrow.

Philothea...the first fifteen months I posted on this board I wasn't even a cantor. Just a person in the pew with a serious desire to improve the music at my parish. Now I direct two chant scholas and the traditional music Adult choir, but really all that did was give me more questions to ask, as I am not a professional musician, but an amateur (albeit in the true sense of that word.)

Thanked by 2Philothea Choirparts
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Nice videos, choirparts.

I know I'm being probably way too over pedantic for this forum, but, in spite of years and years of people thinking that the "Ave Maria" in question is by Victoria and beautiful as this work is, it is now widely accepted that the composer was Jacob Handl (Gallus), a contemporary of Victoria who composed many other fine sacred works.

The real Victoria "Ave Maria" is his 8-part double-choir setting, score attached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_CzuMgh2Y
    Thanked by 1Choirparts
  • WendiWendi
    I know, I read about it on choralwiki. The videos correspond to the Handl 4 part arrangement, but both the video and the sheet music is labeled Victoria, and I wanted choirparts to know which videos I was referencing.

I would love to have the voices to do the 8 part...but not yet. We'll get there.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Ignoto
    Regarding copyrights...we have Let Us Celebrate/Celebremos and Flor y Canto II. Often for school Masses I draw from both books. Rather than distribute all those books and saying "number 123 in Flor y Canto", I just make a simple song sheet with everything on one page. This violates copyright laws too, doesn't it? It just makes things so much easier, though. The parish has already paid for those songs by subscribing/paying for those books, so it's not like we're trying to cheat anyone. Any thoughts?

Henry, the best thing to do is to contact the permissions departments at WLP and OCP and explain the situation. It may be that your school will need to purchase a license for a relatively nominal fee that will allow you to reproduce the text and/or music onto a compiled song sheet--that way there is no violation of copyright. (Many pastors do explicitly state that their musicians must comply with all copyright laws, so following this method is the best thing to do.)