Does a deacon chant the Kyrie?
  • WendiWendi
    In the Ordinary Form of the Latin rite, who chants the Kyrie?

It's always been my experience that the cantor intones with the congregation replying. However, one of our Deacons told me recently that it's actually supposed to be the deacon rather than the cantor.

Is that right? If so, where can I find the documentation for it? I've found reference to that practice for the Extraordinary Form, but not the Ordinary Form.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Like the Exsultet.

The Deacon, or a Cantor if there is no Deacon (or if the Deacon is unable/unwilling).

I don't have it in front of me, but I'm sure the rubric says it right in the Missal.
  • WendiWendi
    I re-read the GIRM this morning and I can't find reference to the Deacon chanting the Kyrie. It says cantor/choir.

I don't have a copy of the Missal, but I plan to look at Father's copy when I go in tomorrow.
  • WendiWendi
    I'm actually hoping I CAN find it. I'd love to see our Deacons chanting more. They both have excellent singing voices, and it might encourage more men to join the choir.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    http://old.usccb.org/romanmissal/order-of-mass.pdf

See pp 5-6

The Priest, or a Deacon or another minister, then says the following or other
    invocations* with Kyrie, eleison (Lord, have mercy):

Then, when spelling out "the following" it just says "the priest."

On the next page, where the Kyrie is listed separately (which is clearly to be done, "unless they have just occurred in a formula of the Penitential Act"), there is no indication of who is to give the invocation and who the response.

Based on the principle of "common sense" I should think it would be "the priest, the deacon, or another minister." So I would then further think that only if your Cantors are considered "ministers" (and are properly educated, commissioned, and attired [and, I am sad to say, gendered] ) would it be appropriate for them to give the invocation.

However, based on the principle of "making stuff up," I would think it should be appropriate to have pretty much anyone you want do it.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The Roman Missal is silent about who intones the Kyrie. Also, GIRM 52 and 171 say nothing about the deacon intoning the Kyrie. As liturgical law is usually prescriptive and GIRM is very specific about the liturgical duties of the deacon, I don't think there's any ground to assume that the deacon is supposed to intone the Kyrie.

The Graduale Romanum does also say something about the performance of the Kyrie: "The acclamations Kyrie, eleison can be distributed among two or three cantors or choirs, if appropriate." Here, no mention of a deacon either.

Edit: I thought the question was about the Kyrie sung after Penitential Act A (Confiteor) or B (Miserere nostri, Domine), but now I see that probably Penitential Act C (Qui missus es) was meant. Here, the Order of Mass isn't entirely clear. Sure, it is preferred that the priest intones the invocations, but it also indicates that the Deacon or the Cantor can sing them.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "The acclamations Kyrie, eleison can be distributed among two or three cantors or choirs, if appropriate.

I find statements like this maddening.
    WHAT MAKES IT APPROPRIATE?

Not to mention that the GR and the RM probably have wholly different praxis points of view.

Riffing on recent rubrical questions in another thread, wherein Fr. Ron pointed out that, when there is ambiguity, the widest possible interpretation is allowed, and I maintained that "allowed" and "prudent" are not really the same thing, I would think the "answer" would be something like: It is best if the Deacon or Priest can chant it. But it is not wrong if someone else does so.

Which brings up a whole side issue: why are so many people concerned with how they can skate in on the minimum? Why have we let modern utilitarianism guide our decision-making? What happened to the notion of an ascent of virtues, of gradus ad parnassum?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Why have we let modern utilitarianism guide our decision-making? What happened to the notion of an ascent of virtues, of gradus ad parnassum?

Brilliant question, AW.
    We have scads of deacons. We have a bishop who insists upon deacons' ownership of intoning (even reciting over canting) the penitentials over all other factors, which trumps anything written. At episcopal liturgies at our joint it's virtually the only moment throughout the year that a deacon is mandated for this responsibility. Not all deacons are endowed with even the bishop's fine singing baritone, so the utility of the deacon reciting the invocations and Kyrie seems inconsistent after the bishop cants the In Nomine... like buttuh. It seems like capricious and confusing preference over solemnity sometimes.
    OTOH, we have one great deacon who would qualify according to Pr. Miller's pedagogical criteria as "tone deaf" (and that's hard to do!) who nonetheless when reaching the ambo is doing his best to enjoin the Alleluia. God blesses him by his example! One of my fondest memories recently is when the priest celebrant canted the final "In Nomine" this deacon actually matched the reciting pitch of the priest with the "Ite missa..." I didn't stop grinning in joy for days!
  • WendiWendi
    ok...

A. I try very hard to avoid the policy of making stuff up, as it causes too much trouble where I am.

B. If it is in fact the province of the Deacon or even an allowable option for him to intone the Kyrie, I would like to it that way. Both of our deacons have wonderful singing voices and the more men we can get publicly singing in the Mass, the more we counter the weird notion prevalent in this part of the United States that singing is a girl thing.

C. I find ambiguous statements to be maddening as well...IMO it helps those who want to find justification for the liturgical silliness we have all encountered at one point or another.

D. The deacon who made this statement to me originally is also trained in the Maronite rite...is it possible that it's the Maronite rite that has this rubric spelled out explicitly?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    Adam, thank you very much for posting that PDF file, it does seem to indicate that having the Deacon intone the Kyrie is one of the options.
  • WendiWendi
    smvanroode, actually my question was about option A. At our church it has been practice since long before I arrived to pray the confiteor and then sing the Kyrie, with a cantor (all of our cantors are female) intoning it.

If that's not licit or appropriate, I will work very hard to change it. I'm just trying to find the documentation to back up changing it before I go tilting at that particular dragon.
  • Some confusion arises because the Kyrie can be sung or spoken.
    When it is sung, it is intoned by cantor(s) or choir. When it is spoken/said, it is led by an ordained minister.

I agree that having two deacons who can sing is wonderful! There are several parts of the sung liturgy that are to be led by a deacon, when there is one-

Off the top of my head-
    Gospel
    Prayers of the faithful
    Offerte vobis/ offer to each other the sign of peace (Although there's no response to that which is always kind of weird)
    Dismissal
    Thanked by 2Wendi Gavin
  • K, I deleted this because it was rather off-topic in regards to the OP.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Wendi, I see nothing illicit with the deacon doing it, nor with the cantor doing it. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Do whichever you'd rather.
  • chonakchonak
    HI, Wendi; I hope you don't mind me changing the title of this thread to make it more specific (i.e., useful to readers).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    Hi Chonak...no I don't mind at all. I wrote the original post before coffee. (Always a bad idea.)

• smvanroodesmvanroode
    Wendi, for options A and B it's not prescribed in the rubrics that the deacon intones the Kyrie, and the practise is therefore not intended. Cantors or a choir should intone the Kyrie with all responding.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    When the rubrics of the OF are unclear, I usually look for historical precedence using the EF... and in the EF the Deacon would be too busy to intone the Kyrie.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Ben
  • MatthewJ, I do the same.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I still fail to see anything PROHIBITING a deacon from doing so.
  • WendiWendi
    I honestly don't have issue with it one way or the other. I'm just trying to find out if what our deacon told me is accurate, and if it is where the rubrics say that.
  • Again, I think the deacon is getting confused by the rubrics for a spoken/read/said Mass, and not a sung one.
  • Ignoto
    http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/girm-chapter-2.cfm

The Kyrie, Eleison

52. After the Penitential Act, the Kyrie, eleison (Lord, have mercy), is always begun, unless it has already been part of the Penitential Act. Since it is a chant by which the faithful acclaim the Lord and implore his mercy, it is usually executed by everyone, that is to say, with the people and the choir or cantor taking part in it.

Each acclamation is usually pronounced twice, though it is not to be excluded that it be repeated several times, by reason of the character of the various languages, as well as of the artistry of the music or of other circumstances. When the Kyrie is sung as a part of the Penitential Act, a “trope” precedes each acclamation. (i.e. Third form of the Penitential Act)

http://nccbuscc.org/liturgy/SingToTheLord.pdf
    23. In accord with their abilities, deacons should be prepared to sing those parts of the Liturgy that belong to them. Deacons should receive training in singing the dialogues between deacon and people, such as those at the Gospel and at the dismissal. They should also learn to sing various invitations in the rites, the Exsultet, the third form of the Act of Penitence, and the Prayer of the Faithful. If they are capable, deacons should be trained in the practice of chanting the Gospel on more solemn occasions. Programs of diaconal preparation should include major and compulsory courses in the chant and song of the Liturgy.

For the Penitential Act, the Order of Mass states:

FIRST FORM (FORM A):
    4. Then follows the Penitential Act, to which the Priest invites the faithful, saying:
    The First Form has the Confiteor.

SECOND FORM (FORM B):
    5. The Priest invites the faithful to make the Penitential Act:
    That dialogue is found here.

THIRD FORM (FORM C):
    6. The Priest invites the faithful to make the Penitential Act:
    Brethren (brothers and sisters), let us acknowledge our sins, and so prepare ourselves to celebrate the sacred mysteries.
    A brief pause for silence follows.

The Priest, or a Deacon, or another minister, then sings the following or other invocations with
    Kyrie, eleison (Lord, have mercy):
    The Third Form is also found here.

It is important to note that the Deacon may sing the trope in the Third Form (Form C) with the Kyrie following.

When the First Form or Second Form of the Penitential Act is chosen, then:
    7. The Kyrie, eleison (Lord, have mercy) invocations follow, unless they have just occurred in a formula of the Penitential Act.
    cf. GIRM 52, above, and http://www.icelweb.org/musicfolder/openpdf.php?file=Kyrie.pdf

In November 2011, the USCCB provided clarification about the chanting of the tropes in the Third Form (Form C) of the Penitential Act:
    http://www.usccb.org/about/divine-worship/newsletter/upload/newsletter-2011-07.pdf
    The introductory rubric for Form C states, ―The Priest, or a Deacon or another minister, then says the following or other invocations with Kyrie, eleison (Lord, have mercy)." The chanting or recitation of the Kyrie tropes is not limited to the Priest or the Deacon. Another minister – for example, a cantor – may chant the tropes to enhance the liturgy. Secondly, the three tropes provided in the Order of Mass, as well as the other sets provided in Appendix VI of the Missal, are only given as samples. The Priest Celebrant or other minister is encouraged to create tropes which could be inspired by the liturgical observance or the scriptures of the day or the particular needs of the local Church.
    Thanked by 1Philothea
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I still fail to see anything PROHIBITING a deacon from doing so.

In general, rubrics prescribe instead of proscribe. That means that if a particular practise isn't prescribed by the rubrics, you shouldn't do it.

When it comes to liturgy, the lack of an explicit prohibition is a spurious argument for justifying practises not described by the rubrics.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Apart from Dr Ed. Schaefer, I can't think of ANY deacon I know who could cope with intoning this:image
    1268 x 904 - 61K
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Is KYRIE MAGNAE DEUS POTENTIAE really all that difficult?
    Thanked by 2Salieri Gavin
  • SalieriSalieri
    For the deacons I know, yes; RECTO TONO would be difficult. The reason being that in their training they are taught less about liturgy (which should be their principal function) than anything else, and sung liturgy, I'm sure, is never even thought of. They have been trained mainly in administration and being PC.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The Priest Celebrant or other minister is encouraged to create tropes which could be inspired by the liturgical observance or the scriptures of the day or the particular needs of the local Church.

I think we all know where this is going...
    Thanked by 2Salieri Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    Yeah, that's a regrettable rubric. Hey, does it mean that we cantors ("other minister") are encouraged to make up tropes?
    "You are the morning star who rise in the east: Lord, have mercy."
    "Your presence calls us to bend the knee: Christ, have mercy."
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Say it with me...

Lord Jesus, you care A LOT about carbon emissions. Lord Have Mercy.

Christ Jesus, and not only that- but it's clear that free market solutions to problems of this nature simply will not work and so a series of world-government initiatives are needed to resolve this problem. Christ Have Mercy.

Lord Jesus, I mean, really, which is more likely- that you call each of us individually to a life of self-denial and holiness, or that you need us to gather together into a single voting block so that temporary secular governments run by people who openly oppose your will can implement protectionist policies that force us to do things that are for our own good but which we would not ever choose to do, given the option? Clearly the latter, Lord Have Mercy.
  • WendiWendi
    Is KYRIE MAGNAE DEUS POTENTIAE really all that difficult?

I think it would depend on the deacon. If you have a deacon with a good singing voice and he is willing to spend the time learning it, and you are willing to spend the time teaching it, then no it's not too difficult. Of course some deacons may have a confidence problem, but I have found that support and encouragement go a LONG way towards eliminating the confidence problem. As usual...YMMV.

When it comes to liturgy, the lack of an explicit prohibition is a spurious argument for justifying practises not described by the rubrics.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you there. Generally speaking, the church in her wisdom and charity tends to allow more than forbid, thus allowing for different cultural norms throughout the planet.

In most areas of faith and morals, the church does NOT adopt the attitude of "that which isn't mandatory is forbidden", therefore it seems odd to adopt that stance only in the case of sacred music. However...as usual...YMMV.

Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

I would have to respectfully disagree with you there. Generally speaking, the church in her wisdom and charity tends to allow more than forbid, thus allowing for different cultural norms throughout the planet.

In most areas of faith and morals, the church does NOT adopt the attitude of "that which isn't mandatory is forbidden", therefore it seems odd to adopt that stance only in the case of sacred music. However...as usual...YMMV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Don't_stuff_beans_up_your_nose
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Wendi, the following traffic signs may help to explain my line of thought. Arriving at a T-junction one may place two different signs:

image image

Both signs have the same effect (you turn right), but one is proscriptive and the other prescriptive. Liturgical rubrics work like the blue sign. They tell you what to do, and we are expected to follow that direction.

So, if the rubrics tell us (GIRM 52 and Praenotanda OCM 2) that the Kyrie is to be sung by the people and the choir or cantor, we are expected to perform the Kyrie that prescribed way. Having a deacon intone the Kyrie is like turning left anyway at the T-junction, saying: "But it isn't prohibited!".

Now, having the deacon intoning the Kyrie, though unlawful, is quite harmless. But you can imagine what might happen if people start justifying a liturgical practise with the argument that it isn't explicitly prohibited: "Let's carry a fish kite at the entrance procession", ...
  • chonakchonak
    Is it licit for a deacon to perform the functions of a cantor?
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    See GIRM 91: "All, therefore, whether ordained ministers or lay Christian faithful, in fulfilling their function or their duty, should carry out solely but totally that which pertains to them." So, if there is a cantor, a deacon shouldn't perform the cantor's functions.