Why I've Been So Grumpy Lately
  • Kathy
    It's because of nominalism.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The statement "All chairs are quite unique" is only meaningful if all chairs belong to a group about which you could say, "All chairs."
  • ryandryand
    That's just ... your opinion, man. Dig?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    ryand, are you a Nihilist without an ethos, Dude?
    I couldn't post this over at the main essay at the Cafe, so this is mainly in response to Sam Schmitt's commentary there:
    As far as peanuts and crackerjack, have you been to whatever they're now calling the SF Giant's stadium. Sushi, fajitas, crabcakes, other haute cuisines and fine wines "enhance" the social as well as culinary faire there and many other stadia. I'm sure you could do the rest of your litany.
    And, the corrolary works with Kathleen's schema quite nicely; she has a right to be grumpy about this.
    Moneyball is much more than a baseball business mode/strategy and a good film. And that goes further back than the Black Sox scandal in the early twentieth c.
    Modernity again, you either buy all the way in, or get shut out (pardon the pun.)
    Or you play the game in intramural civic style leagues, avoid enrolling your kids into the system of Little Leagues, and choose to watch them play pickup games at the nearest sandlot.
    And avoid cultivating athletes who glorify the temples of their bodies by enhanced adornment to their physiologies (building better bodies thru chemistry.)
    Horse is already out of the barn and has been running the span of the globe for well over half a century.
    Kathleen's treatise is well put and a sincere, true exhortation to the purity of Casey at the Bat. That said, we managers of music in the scrub, below minor league enterprises, do need to insist upon the virtues of both tradition and integrity of the game as we call it. But the cheaters, the owners, the unions and the fickle public almost ensure that finding the "real game" of baseball or liturgical music will occur in the margins and outlands, the little muni-stadiums that dot the small towns.
    I'll be interested to know how the very labyrinthine philsophical structures of nominalism can be reconciled to the economy of the modern game.
    Thanked by 2rich_enough CHGiffen
  • That cat has amazing eyes! Why they look like Betty Davis eyes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eja-popojUo
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Kathy-
    After my last Cafe post you stated that you needed to up your game.
    It seems I am now in the same position.

(Dagnabit.)
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Aw, shucks, thanks Adam.

It's weird, you know. Some days you wake up capable of writing.

Also, I blame Bishop Morlino, whose talk the other night was catalytic.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It's weird, you know. Some days you wake up capable of writing.

Some days I am capable of waking up. It's weird.

-------

This is a spot-on commentary on one of my biggest pet peeves with conventional "liberalism/progressivism" (so-called): absolutist relativism. I recently heard a sermon preached about (in favor of) situational ethics. In a more brash period of life, I would have gotten up and walked out.
  • Liam
    Adam

Not to get too off track, but in practice absolute relativists are as rare as absolute realists. For example, if you asked your sermonize to illustrate the situational ethics of, say, rape, I think you'd get a very interesting dance.

There is what I might call formal relativism at a shallow rhetorical level: people using it tactically to avoid getting sucked into thorny engagement on a difficult issue when talking with people they don't know well. This can be cowardice, but it also can be prudence in certain situations, such as when one is talking to people who don't share assumptions about epistemology and metaphysics. Substantive relativism is not nearly as pervasive, from what I can tell. Distinguishing these things requires, sad to say, some level of metaconversation....

• ryandryand
    melo,
    I'm a sarcastic jester without half a clue.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • TCJ
    I thought you were grumpy because of the new vote feature?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Kathy
    Well, that's why I'm grumpy NOW....
    Thanked by 2Salieri Ben