Chant for dismissal of children
  • Carl DCarl D
    In our parish, we have a practice of dismissing small children during the first half of Mass, at which time they receive instruction on the Liturgy of the Word using a more age-appropriate method. When the children are called to process out, right before the first reading, we sometimes sing a short song (about 30 seconds or so) to send them on their way.

I haven't been singing anything with our Schola - it's been silent - but I was wondering if anybody would have an idea for an appropriate chant in this situation?

I understand that this isn't a defined part of the normal Liturgy, but there's no need to focus on that. I'm trying to support our priest in his efforts to bring better catechesis and focus to both the children and the adults.
  • If you're looking for an English text, I'd look at "By Flowing Waters" for an antiphon that uses a text about God's word (Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, or, Lord you have the words).
  • Carl DCarl D
    Great idea, I'll check that out!
    Carl
  • If the proclamation of the readings has latreutic and not simply instructional value, is it licit for children who are obliged to attend mass to be somewhere else?
  • G
    Children's Liturgy of the Word is generally for those who have not yet made 1st communion, they haven't reached the age of reason (as if any of us ever do!#$??!?!) so, putting aside the question of whether CLotW is a good idea, or properly conducted most places, it doesn't affect anyone who has an obligation other than the adults who lead it.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Carl DCarl D
    Our Liturgy of the Word for Children:
    * Is covering the same content as the adults see (readings, homily)
    * Is using the same readings
    * Is for younger children, before receiving 1st Communion
    * Completes at the end of the Homily

Personally, I don't see any conflict or problem. But I don't design the liturgy and am no expert.