Parish Book of Psalms
  • Hi :) I'm new to the community and to the joy of propers/chant (and I mean brand-spanking-new!) and I was wondering if anybody can direct me to mp3s of the Psalms in Arlene Oost-Zinner's Parish Book of Psalms. I wanna make sure I'm learning the nuemes correctly (I know the science behind reading the notation, but since these particular chants are unfamiliar to me it would be helpful to hear them and my piano playing is stilted......).

Thanks in advance!
  • chonakchonak
    Nobody's made recordings of them, as far as I know. If you want to make that a project, you're welcome to: nice things often get done around here because someone decided to take on the task!
    Thanked by 2Philothea TeresaH
  • Actually, I think I just might be called to do that. Unfortunately, I need to be more confident with reading the chant notation to play it out on the piano. I know the scales are built on fa and do, but I wish I could hear it to make sure I'm doing it right. Chant intervals have a different..... texture..... from modern, Western music intervals, y'know?
  • Carl DCarl D
    There's a number of simple chants, with the music in each year's packet, on the Colloquium Archive.
    Thanked by 1Philothea
  • TeresaH
    I, too, would love to have recordings of this book. I believe JMO had started recording them but has stopped for lack of time. Is there anyone here who would be so kind as to take on this project and record the book?
  • In all honesty, I'm feeling very called to do this. But I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row, and it seems it will take more time and planning than I realized.

EDIT: Actually, I think it might only take me being a better musician and practicing my sight reading and solfegio! I have the recording equipment and software, just need to educate myself even further, practice, practice, and oh, yeah - PRACTICE!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen