Peloquin discussion
  • AP23AP23
    Derived from my previous post about Peloquin's Lord Send Out Your Spirit, I just started this thread to ask people what your general opinion is on Peloquin.

Here's one of mine: I think we could use more jazzy-like Church music.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Ally
    Why do you think that?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I used to be a fan of Peloquin about 10 years ago.
    Now when I hear his music used at Mass, it just sounds so.. dated.
  • CharlesW
    As best I can gather, Peloquin was a good man who did what he believed the Church wanted at the time - provide new music for the English liturgy. As MJM noted, his music reflects the times when it was written, and does sound a bit dated now. Also true of works of some other composers of his day.

The last thing I remember hearing by him was the "Gloria of the Bells" at a Midnight Mass one Christmas Eve about 15 years ago. I have no idea whether or not that piece has been re-written to conform to the Revised Roman Missal, or if it is even still in print anywhere. The last copy I saw was in Worship II.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes, it has been rewritten.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ghmus7
    I have to admit I love that Pentecost psalm. It really captures something of the power of the Spirit, more that the tepid psalm setting you usually hear. I also love that it ends on a fat dissonant chord.
    Thanked by 2AP23 Gavin
  • AP23AP23
    Precisely! Do you use it, ghmus7?
  • Gloria of the Bells was in Worship III and the first Gather Comprehensive.
  • ghmus7
    Yes, I have conducted it with full choir and orchestra on Pentecost.
  • AP23AP23
    If you don't mind, the next time you do it, could you send a recording? (For listening pleasure only, fellow forum members!)