audio streaming experiment
  • chonakchonak
    http://media.musicasacra.com/audio/colloquium.m3u
    http://media.musicasacra.com/audio/colloquium2.m3u

Does audio play?
    Do titles display for the audio stream and for the works played?
    The first is an audio stream in mp3 format; the second in ogg format. Which works for you?
    What is your OS?
    What media player runs to process the stream?
  • BenBen
    1) Yes, the title displayed as "Sacred music Colloquium", and audio played. Opened in Windows Media Player.

2) Stalled on the "opening media" phase. Also Windows Media player.

Running Windows 7, Google chrome, both fully updated.

May I ask how you did it? :)
  • chonakchonak
    I'm running "Music Player Daemon" (musicpd.org) to provide a source of audio from the collection of mp3s, and running Icecast (icecast.org) to stream it to clients that connect, all on a machine running Linux from the Mageia distro.

It seems that Windows Media Player only shows the stream name, not the names of individual songs. A player that groks playlist and stream formats (e.g., AOL's WInamp player) knows how to display the track titles.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The first opened in iTunes and was displayed as "colloquium.mp3" and played fine on iTunes.

The second one, "colloquium.ogg," didn't work on iTunes.
  • Carl DCarl D
    The MP3 is working.

I have Windows Vista, browser is Firefox, and the music player it brings up is iTunes.

No titles, artwork, or anything fancy - it just says it's playing "colloquium.mp3" in the album "Internet Songs."

The OGG comes up in iTunes but doesn't play. No error message or anything, it just sits there.
  • chonakchonak
    I think MS and Apple do a good job of not supporting the open-source format OGG. It's possible to install a codec for both programs that enables them to play ogg files. In my opinion, they sound a little better than mp3 for the same file size.

Thanks to all who tested. If we ever want to set up a streaming service of colloquium recordings (that is what's being played), we should have someone go through them and make some choices about which ones are best: free of obvious mistakes, etc.
  • Carl DCarl D
    On the Colloquium archive, I've been adding little players to each Mass. It uses a 3rd party streamer, so you don't have to download all the files before you can play them. It works, generally, but I confess I don't know the details. Setting up a new playlist would be quite straightforward.