A Mass free of music....
  • Rather than suffer through the hassle of finding a cantor and organist for a late Sunday evening Mass, or a very early morning one, isn't it time for all of us to demand a silent Mass, a Sunday Liturgy free of music for the benefit of people who really cannot stand the state of music in the Catholic Church today..and even those who have not come to accept chant.

Why should people be driven away from the Liturgy of the Mass by bad music. And why should it be permitted.
  • Jeez, frogman. . .

I did exactly the opposite tonight. Tired of the icy stares . . . tired of the fact that the contemporary ensemble is the only one among our music ministry enjoying explosive growth . . . tired of constantly trying to justify each and every hymn . . . I actually played our entire Saturday evening Mass on the piano, much to the delight of the chanteuse cum school music teacher and one of our resident flautists, both who like to think that if it's from the "blue book" it's the cat's pajamas.

The result? Rave reviews. I've decided therefore to play piano exclusively at the Saturday evening Masses, and anyone who hums and strums is welcome to join in . . . the more the merrier, after all!

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, I always say . . . or at least I say from now on.
  • David - Doesn't this constitute the Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse?!
  • The other four were already saddled up.
  • GavinGavin
    I agree with Noel on this. The idea of a "musicless Mass" is repulsive to my every instinct, but frankly I don't WANT to play for a 6:30 Sunday Mass for bluehairs who are just going to pray the rosary and not sing during it anyway.

At my last parish we had a more progressive route on Sundays. Late Mass was the choir Mass, and the early Mass only had 2 hymns with a cantor singing the Introit and Communion. I'd like to think that was easier on people at the early Mass. If I had one earlier than that, I'd probably prefer it be without music. I see no reason whatsoever that every Sunday Mass must be a clone of the other.
  • miacoyne
    Hello, David Andrew. I'm sorry for saying this, but it reminds me of 'peer pressure,' which I'm sure you, and most of us, went through a lot in our teen age period. I guess this peer pressure is always there whether you get old or not. As you know, many times when you try to do the right thing, and your standard is higher than average people, you become a lonely person. I hope it's a temporary thing.
    Are you still planning to do "Document study'" in your parish? (I geuss this means Church's Official documents as well as Our Holy Fathers' writings that help us understand our Liturgy.) If you can post the list of what you plan to study, I think it will help many people.
    Thanks,
    Mia Coyne
  • David, I feel your pain. Sounds like the well is poisoned there and that you need the work too badly to fight it. Maybe the best thing is draw a line somewhere that works for you and is not really noticeable to the crowd that is working against you. For what it's worth, I had a pretty simple formula that kept me sane in fairly similar situation. Entrance and recessional hymns were traditional 4-square settings. The Offertory and Communion slots were filled with the OCP/GIA songs that folks liked. You can play organ on the former and piano on the latter. After a while some folks will start to complement the hymns and juxtaposition will really point out the differences in appropriateness. Keep the Lenten chants alive (for exposition and adoration and Holy Thursday) and never allow a Advent to go by without Conditor (in English if you must). Finally, try this. Ask for one Mass that will be traditional in approach, but at the same time offer to enthusiastically help with the contemporary ensemble. Show that you're not just a trouble-maker and the seeds you plant will, with God's grace, bear fruit. Just keep reminding yourself how you would feel if someone came in starting pulling the chants for OCP songs. Most of what you are facing is not ideological, but reactionary and the results of hurt feelings. My 2 cents.
  • Oh yes, as I've said, I currently go to a music-less Mass. It's the only way to survive here in the tropics until something changes. I sang for an ordination of a Haitian priest yesterday and made an observation. The Haitian folk choir sounded great but their music, although rhythmic with conga drums, was more like chant than pop music. Very repetitive and unselfconscious. Only the folks in the diocesan choir were self-conscious as they danced along and sang with them during the refrains. Those folks looked foolish but the Haitians were in their element. Anyway, the rest of the music reminded me why I seek refuge in my Sunday evening schola. Here I Am for opening hymn, The Summons for Communion. To be fair we did sing the Proulx version of the This is the Day for the psalm and we chanted the Veni creator (in alternatim with the Haitian group's folk version of the same text - interesting effect). We also sung the Arcadelt Ave Maria (badly) and chanted the Lord's Prayer. Maybe I'm just selfish... but I agree with someone's statement that a drop of sewage in a glass of fine wine creates sewage. I know I am being just like the person that who crosses his arms when chant is sung, but I just can't help it.
  • This tends to happen sometimes when the cantor doesn't show up for our later afternoon Sunday Mass (Spanish). What my parochial vicar has done is have a silent procession and then recite the Entrance Antiphon. He will chant the Kyrie, but, not the Gloria. Why? The only version the people know is the one that chops up the Gloria to the point that it deletes references to God the Father and Jesus Christ by name. If I'm proclaiming the second reading, I'll chant the Gospel Acclamation. If not, he will do it. He will also chant the Sanctus, the Memorial Acclamation and the Great Amen. Then, he will chant the Agnus Dei. Prior to communion, we pray the Communion antiphon and then he exits in silence.

What is important to note is that even if you don't have an entrance, offertory, Communion or recessional hymn, you should sing the Gospel Acclamation, the Sanctus, the Memorial Acclamation and the Great Amen.
  • Michael,

What you describe is exactly what I'm trying to do. The "contemporary" crowd already has an ensemble that's growing faster than they have equipment to accommodate. I've been doing the traditional hymns at open and close with the sacro-pop stuff in the middle at all of the Masses. I'm hoping (against hope) that I can convince the powers that be (including the woman in charge of first sacraments who for the time being seems to be controlling the liturgy committee, including the pastor) that with an all-contemporary music ensemble Mass two or three times a month available, we now need to provide an all-traditional Mass to balance against the contemporary stuff. The argument seems to be that not enough people want or would understand the traditional music to make it worth disturbing the status quo, and that the "assisting ministers" (lectors, etc.) who "don't like the traditional stuff" would ask to be moved to other Masses because of the music. We have 5 Masses a weekend, with the average attendance at each Mass somewhere between 1000 and 1200.

This parish is a political minefield. I've already lost one foot, I'm now trying to limp back to neutral territory.

(BTW, the wine/sewage comment was mine. It reads: If we put a drop of wine in a vat of sewage, we get sewage. If we put a drop of sewage in a vat of wine, we get sewage.)
  • I would have to agree with the OP. When the cantor doesn't show up, I tend to breathe a sigh of relief because the music is bad. She has a great voice, but, she slavishly follows the OCP planning guide, as do the other musicians in our parish. A lot of the songs focus on the community. The parts of the Mass, especially Bob Hurd's Agnus Dei, are not suitable for inclusion in the liturgy because they deviate. My parochial vicar doesn't even sing much, except for certain parts of the Mass.

I love my pastor; however, he seems to have fallen into the vat of sewage spouted out by OCP. I have tried to get him to adopt a more traditional format, but, to no avail.
  • On the other hand, at these Sunday 5:30 Masses, we've had several occasions when I was the organist and the cantor didn't show up. What did I do? Announced and played the opening and closing hymns, chanted the psalm to a simple tone a cappella, same for the gospel acclamation, played an organ voluntary at offertory and communion, played the "Holy, holy" etc., with no cantor. You know what? The people sang, and sang well! In fact, some came up to me afterward and said how much they enjoyed the simplicity and reverence of the Mass!

Unfortunately, getting these anecdotes into the heads of the "powers that be" is nearly impossible. They say things like, "Of course they sang well. . . it was something different and unexpected, so they were more alert. If you did this regularly, they'd probably go back to their habits."

*sigh* Invincible ignorance?
  • Heck, when my PV chants the Sanctus, the Memorial and the Great Amen, people sing. The settings he chooses are not complicated and are fairly easy to follow. The few times that he chooses and leads us in the Entrance and Recessional, it's usually something traditional (Spanish) that everyone can sing. Of course, the Unidos en Cristo/United in Christ has slim pickings, but, he manages to find the venerable songs.

Now, the reason he's employed the antiphons is because there is a horrid habit down here of singing "Pescador de Hombres" for Communion, even though it has nothing to do with the Eucharist. In order to nip it in the bud, he has been using the communion antiphon, especially at Daily Mass.
  • CharlesW
    I play for a 7:00 a.m. Sunday morning mass that no previous organist at that church ever covered. It's mostly an older crowd, but contains some of the most loyal and highest dollar contributors. They did not want music when I took the job - not surprising considering what is often played and sung in Catholic churches. I select a traditional entrance and recessional hymn. The Gloria and the psalm are not sung and there is no communion hymn. The Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation and the Great Amen are sung. I softly play traditional organ literature at other times. It's working well and congregational response has been very positive.
  • miacoyne
    I hope to see Pope Benedict mendate Tridentine Mass in every parish (he announced a couple of month ago that he WISHES that every parish should offer a Tridentine Mass, and it should be available for those who want it.) There are people who cannot be satified spiritually (and musically) with pop-sacro music. I tried, but I cannot find the beauty, beauty that is from God (divine beauty), in that kind of music. I'm sure not everyone agrees with me. But if we have more than one Mass with contemporary group in almost every parish, it makes sense we should have at least one traditional mass in every parish too. I believe this will happen. It's so hard to see all the good musicians suffer so much, and many have to leave. We need to hold on and don't give up the hope.
  • miacoyne, that would be a hard sell. Many parishes have maybe a couple of people who would welcome this and no priests who would. Mandating creates even more resistance, so I agree with Benedict's slow, but sure process. Just wish he were a bit younger... He has, however, sown on fertile ground and the process cannot be stopped now. Even if the next pope turns out to be a raving "progressive" (which I doubt will happen with the current college of redbirds), he would find it difficult to alter the course without creating a huge schismatic community.
  • AOZ
    David W mentioned the 7:00am Mass. Mia, this is a perfect venue for the introduction of truly sacred music. As in most parishes, the early Sunday Mass is attended by loyal Mass goers. Many are daily Mass goers as well, and a good many solid financial contributors. They will go to Mass if there is no music, or the music is bad or good. There may be a couple of vocal protesters, but the majority are indifferent - they want to be at Mass for all the right reasons and they will continue to come. This is a wonderful place to start. And it can be inauspiciously. First one solid hymn. And lots of silence. The very gradual and systematic introduction of a more solemn ordinary. Maybe English for a time. Eventually one part in Latin. More will come. It can take years. A dignified Responsorial Psalm. The eventual introduction of the Introit or the Communio.

And you don't need a huge group of singers to pull this off. You'll have PLENTY of time to work on gathering a group together, or training them and expanding their repertoire. What is important is that one Mass out of the say five Masses start behaving as a beacon or an approximation of the ideal. It will begin to offer you a moment or two of solace and spirituality in your work. Be patient, political and charitable. If you have to spend lots of time and energy dealing with the glory and praise and contemporary crowds at other Masses, that's ok and to be expected. It is amazing what can be endured when you're focused on what you know is right in the long run.

It has taken Jeff and I eight years to transform one Mass in our parish. A long time by our standards, but not a lot of time in the whole scheme of things. A lot of music and praying gets done in eight years. It's God's time, and not ours.
  • Our pastor requested that the one Missa Lecta (7am) remaining in our schedule be musically enhanced. What CharlesW describes was our solution, and we have gaged similar successful response.
    Back to Noel's proposition...
    Despite the very real and painful exasperation (echoed by Mike and David) from which it comes, two things are seriously troublesome with this "solution." One, it reflects a resignation and capitulation to realities that have nothing to do with the nature of the Mass itself, which is a sung entity, period. I can hear Professor Mahrt's voice saying "At the very least....the celebrant MUST intone.....the congregation can respond......" and so forth. I thank Arlene for the reminder that we must remain "little engines that could," and move steadfastly forward. Which brings up the second point.
    Managing the stark scenarios of a lack of qualified volunteers to assist music at worship is likely more difficult in this era than it was prior to V2 for a spectrum of reasons. I ask us to consider that factor as we also recognize that we musicians are people who are generally impassioned folk. When we face roadblock after roadblock, it is natural to retreat to the refuge of dwelling in dispassion. We are naturally people inclined towards the enthusiasm and enchantment that music has provided for our souls, and we NEED to share that. When those efforts are criticized, subverted, taken for granted, ignored, it is emotionally natural to shift to disenchantment. I'm sure one gets the sequence of dynamics at play here.
    If I'm not mistaken, the classical "quiet Mass" as described by Day and others, was born out of a very real and deadly dangerous environment in Ireland and the isles under decades/centuries of suppression by the authorities of the Protestant Church of England. We do not so suffer. If we, the stewards of our musical traditions, advocate and make actual decisions that are contrary to our Catholic culture's callings and canons, even due to understandable reaction to the miserable musical conditions we describe here hourly, doth we still protest too much?
  • francis
    Note: Jesus first Mass was probably all a cappella!
  • As the Buddhist's say, "as the wheel of the cart follows the foot of the ox that pulls it." [The Simpson's is on and I am quoting...]

Anything that drives people away from the Sacrifice of the Mass is a cause of suffering.

The Mass is not a sung entity when the music is not sacred that is sung and played. It's the Mass in a clown's suit. It's a Mass at which dancing is not permitted, being celebrated to Polka Rhythms. Or Rock Riffs.

It's persecution from within the ranks....
  • Wow, Noel, was I just spanked by the sound of one hand clapping or what?
    Any comments upon the "gist" of my post, meant to be encouraging?
    Or is it just shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out?
    And technically, "The Mass is a sung entity" is a pedantically correct statement. I take your point, as derisively illustrated as it was.
  • Kathy
    Our 7:30 am Sunday Mass is called "the quiet Mass." This has gone through several permutations.

1. For decades (centuries?) nothing--no music.
    2. Under my predecessor, 4 hymns, resp. Psalm and Alleluia.
    3. After some experimentation followed by a tedious but ultimately finite, bearable, fruitful email/ phone dialogue, at my invitation (bulletin announcements): Introit, Mass of St. Agnes (except Latin chant Gloria), Responsorial Psalm and Alleluia, Psalm at Communion. That's it. Nothing at Offertory, no filler music at Communion. It's like a spoken Mass except you sing some things. I think he might play a postlude, but that's the only organ.

An unexpected fruit of the dialogue episode is that one of our priests began teaching a well-attended Latin class. Folks complained that they couldn't sing in Latin because they didn't know what the words meant. So I floated an idea in the bulletin about the possibility of a class. The priest said that if a handful expressed interest he would do it. 5 people expressed interest; 24 showed up for the first session.
  • Charles,

I sort of violently disagree that the Mass is a sung entity...but that may just be my own flawed thinking, after all what was I doing watching The Simpsons in the middle of the afternoon while the US economy is going awry...when did the Mass become....sung.

Shoot 'em all but use no bullets. Prior to V2 you had an organist that sang and played morning Masses, which were almost invariably High Masses when possible. In case of bad weather it might just be you and the priest.

Organ music during Sunday Masses (Offertory and Communion) and music after Mass.

During the school year you would have a mens choir that may or may not include boys, and at another Mass a girls or womens choir. The Men's Mass would be the High Mass of the day.

I guess I see us less of being entitled to be part of the Mass but rather enhancing it when possible.
  • I just recall in my under/post grad. studies that there never was a time in the evolution of the Church's liturgical life that the orations of this specific and highest of ritual activities, the Mass, were anything but sung. Granted, the Reformation and its Catholic responses had many debilitating forces that mitigated the unity of practice, the most damaging results having taken root early in the 19th century. But isn't that why Pius X rolled up his sleeves (from his childhood, apparently) and sharpened his pencil, to call the universal Church back to its pure, pristine musical practices?
    Or am I missing your point? Seriously.
  • Seriously, I have a bad tendency to look at the Mass from the small parish in Ohio in the 1950/60's viewpoint, with only summer exposure to the grandeur of chant at a monastery and no involvement at a major cathedral or parish during Christmas and Easter. So I think I have a good idea of where the USCCB Bishops is coming from on the basis of their forays into small parish world over the years. And that experience shows in STTL...not heavily influenced by the big guys at the Cathedrals and Basilicas...or even more so, by monks and sisters who have prized and carried the chant machine through the years.

So I see the Mass as being void of music as a normal thing. If I had been in a cathedral environment by any more means than just playing at Masses during Ordinary time, I might have a better view of music being such an integral part of the Mass. I agree that there are churches in which music has been paramount for centuries, and what we have today in teh parishes that is good has filtered down from there.

Because the local parish may have little or no musical training within its musical ranks...we have lovely people out here in TN who do not read music who are directors of music of parishes...I would rather see no music rather than music being done badly.

And that's where we have been shoved into having Music at Mass. It's easier to do OCP Breaking Bread badly than finding a place and people to train you in doing chant, especially when ALL the printed materials used at Mass have only a nod to chant....it's the smallest section in all of the OCP and GIA books if it is included at all.

Just wait until they find ways to make money marketing chant...well, they already have, but it is hard to sell butter after having made your name mixing yellow food coloring into lard to make it look like butter.

You are right, music has always been an integral part of the Liturgy at the highest levels, and even there it was done badly. Sistine Chapel Screamers indeed.
  • At least that situation in Capella Sixtina has already seen the first substantial change towards artistic credibility. Thanks for the perspective, Noel. Maybe the trickle down economy, God willing, will work from Rome, if not from DC or Wall St. I know we won't be holding our breath. More likely we'll have long since taken our last breaths. But it is a very, very interesting time to be a Roman Catholic, n'est ce pas?
  • Taking the long view, Charles, the sung Mass was most likely a rarity in small villages with illiterate priests during the Middle Ages and early modern era. The Enlightenment brought us the Low Mass as the norm until the Cecilian reforms, so I agree that the sung Mass is the norm, but I believe there is sound tradition for the Missa lecta. Its very nature allows us to achieve progessive solemnity, too. In my situation, if all Masses were sung in this area, I'd have a really hard time getting through Mass without severe distraction.
  • Blaise
    Well, perhaps you could speak to your pastor about having a Mass w/o music early on Sunday morning, like a daily Mass, then have a solemn high Mass with quality music later in the day, using the Adoremus Hymnal or similar ones and the priest chanting the parts proper to him.